My door alarm went off unexpectedly

This is a discussion on My door alarm went off unexpectedly within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sort of, kind of got caught with my pants down. Here is the scenario. I am deathly ill with the worst part of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My door alarm went off unexpectedly

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

My door alarm went off unexpectedly

I sort of, kind of got caught with my pants down. Here is the scenario.

I am deathly ill with the worst part of a cold. Achy, feverish, miserable, all I wanted to do was settle in and watch a fun movie to make me feel better. I chose The Incredibles. I haven’t seen it in a while and I love that movie.

I am all snuggled nice and warm under about 5 comforters when all of a sudden my door alarm goes off. It is just a Radio Shack door alarm that is very loud. Not connected to the police but it does alert me when someone opens the door. It took me about 10 seconds before I fully realized that my alarm was going off and someone just entered my house through the front door. Because of my depleted state, I did NOT have a firearm any where near me. Being so sick, I just didn’t feel like carrying a firearm around with me. At that moment, I felt rather, well, defenseless. I rally, get up and investigate. Turns out that it is my ex-wife who tried ringing the bell several times, but no one answered because I didn’t hear it as the movie was so loud. She has a key, so she just opened the door. Ya, ya, I know. Not sure which is worse entering your house. A hardened criminal or an ex-wife.

We are on good terms (I don’t hate her, I just don’t want to be married to her). We had a brief discussion about the consequences. I told her I normally have a firearm with me and with the alarm going off, it would have been at low ready. Her eyes lit up a bit and she confirmed that I would verify the target before I started shooting. Hmmmm. Maybe.

So I guess I learned a lesson that even though I am deathly ill, I should have a firearm near me.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    So I guess I learned a lesson that even though I am deathly ill, I should have a firearm near me.
    I'll agree with that, as long as you can function.

I would say because you were deathly ill, you might have an even greater need of a firearm near you, you know, since you may not feel like using your kungfu on any intruders (not talking about the ex).

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Good on you for having a door alarm activated during the day. I am able to keep a weapon on me without much trouble when I am home.

Too bad it wasn't someone you wanted to see that interupted your movie, but glad it wasn't someone that would have required you to have your gun.

Get well and keep the pistola close to you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Are you paying her alimony? Hmmmm.

How about a safety latch or something similar? It would at least slow down someone coming in unexpectedly.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Your 'ex' is lucky that you didn't "get rid of her"...wait a minute, you already did that...
    Glad that all are safe...no BG's.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

tag
    The lesson you should have learned is to not give your Ex a key. What would you have done if you had a lady friend over for some afternoon delight and you ex walks in?
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    What would you have done if you had a lady friend over for some afternoon delight and you ex walks in?
    ask her to join?? just b/c they arnt married doesnt mean she cant partake! ;)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    ok, lets stop there.............

glad things turned out ok for you with that alarm
    at least have one by the bed just in case
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I recovered from this stuff about 3 weeks ago, and when I was the sickest you could have stole every thing in the world and I would not have known or cared. Forget being armed spent day and night in bed. I am very grateful that this is over and I am back to normal.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just got my key back. She entered without informing me that she was coming over or anyone expecting her. A definite abuse of the reason I gave her the key. I reiterated that she could have literally been shot as my alarm going off in the middle of the day does put me on a heightened alert even if I was deathly ill and slow to respond. She was not impressed. Oh well. Guess that is why she is my EX-wife.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I can't think of anything more frightening than my Ex-Wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I just got my key back. She entered without informing me that she was coming over or anyone expecting her. A definite abuse of the reason I gave her the key. I reiterated that she could have literally been shot as my alarm going off in the middle of the day does put me on a heightened alert even if I was deathly ill and slow to respond. She was not impressed. Oh well. Guess that is why she is my EX-wife.
    I'm glad you got your key back, for her safety and your privacy. Sounds like she doesn't understand that it not OK to intrude on both

I'm glad that nothing horrible happened and that you got your key back. I know that no one has but me and the wife has a key to our house. Anyone coming through my door uninvited is putting themselves at serious risk. I also recommend you identify your target before shooting, which you did.

BTW, The Incredibles is one of my favorite movies too. (Just incase you couldn't tell.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links