Home gun storage... what if?

This is a discussion on Home gun storage... what if? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is everyones opinion on storing your gun(s) at home? Scenario #1 - you store your gun(s) at strategic points around your house. You come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home gun storage... what if?

What is everyones opinion on storing your gun(s) at home?
    Scenario #1 - you store your gun(s) at strategic points around your house. You come home one night and find a burglar and he has found your gun(s). You are carrying.

Scenario#2 - you store your guns in a safe. You are in your basement and your carry gun is two floors up. There is a home invasion coming through your basement door and you can't get to your gun.

Obviously with Scenario #1 - there may be a gunfight, BUT he found your guns that you had hidden.
    With scenario#2 - Home invasion. Your carry gun is two floors up (other guns are in safe)and you are in your basement. Invasion comes through basement door and you can't get to your carry gun.

The obvious answer, by some, is too always carry 24/7, even around your house, but what if you don't...?

Which do you feel is a better way to keep your guns: placed around the house or stored in a safe? Many may comment that they cannot place guns around the house because of small children. But what if you had the choice? Which way would you feel is better?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

I carry all the time, even at home. If it's not on me, I can see it and I can reach it immediately. It goes with me everywhere I go, no compromises.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Carry gun on me if Im awake or right next to me, the rest are in the safe. Except my HD shotgun, thats under the mattress.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The gun should be on your person, or secured. I use a safe to secure the guns I am not using at the moment.

The exception to that is, the shotgun for Home Defense. It comes out when I retire for the evening, and goes back to it's secure place in the morning before I depart for the day.

Biker

Most of my guns are in the safe(s), and I lock them both when ever I leave the house.
    I always have a gun either on my person, or within reach when at home...when arriving home, I am already armed.
    If I come into my home and someone is there, I WILL assume that he is somehow armed and will take appropriate action to see that he never returns. After all, it is my safety and the safety of my family that that I must consider. I will defend my home against all possible threats.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All guns are in the safe except my carry gun witch is within ten feet or on my person.If I come home and the alarm is tripped and is flashing I know to not enter the house and to call 9-1-1.

The obvious answer, by some, is too always carry 24/7, even around your house, but what if you don't...?
    Then scenario two is going to bite you in the ass.

If I am awake I am armed period. The only caveat is that I don't carry in places where it is illegal.

The majority of break ins occur while no one is home. You are asking to have you weapons stolen if you leave them hidden around the house and not in a safe. I speak from exerience on this one. I now own a nice, large, fireproof safe.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I carry all the time, even at home. If it's not on me, I can see it and I can reach it immediately. It goes with me everywhere I go, no compromises.
    +1 on that! I also fit into scenario #1 with guns in different hiding spots, but my EDC is carried from room to room with me. I've also got a good door brace that will give me precious seconds to react before a BG crosses the threshold.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Didn't we just do this question?

If a person doesn't carry in the home they should analyze why they don't. If they feel safe in the home but feel the need to carry outside the home they should watch more news ;-) If their carry gun is a burden they should get a carry gun that is not a burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    With scenario#2 - Home invasion. Your carry gun is two floors up (other guns are in safe)and you are in your basement. Invasion comes through basement door and you can't get to your carry gun.

Which do you feel is a better way to keep your guns: placed around the house or stored in a safe? Many may comment that they cannot place guns around the house because of small children. But what if you had the choice? Which way would you feel is better?

Well, life is full of compromises is it not? In your second scenario, where you are in the basement and your carry gun is two floors above you when a home invasion occurs. I'm guessing it's a rhetorical question, because the answer is really quite obvious. You're pretty much screwed!

To borrow an advertisement from Heckler & Koch... "In a world of compromise... Some men don't!"

That is pretty much the bottom line. For so many people, CCW is really just a haphazard, part time event. More of a feeling of "comfort" than a real time serious deterrent. Often times, it's no more than a "false sense of security!"

For others, CCW is a way of life. They have evaluated, and performed a threat assessment & risk analysis and have made a conscious decision to take their own personal life safety more seriously than others. For them CCW is a "lifestyle" and not something they do to make them feel safe only when they feel they may need it.

A lot of people have seriously altered their lifestyle to accommodate having a weapon with them at all times. To others, that is too burdensome an idea to contemplate.

To borrow another metaphor from a movie, "Luck favors the prepared mind." In other words, all other things being equal and if merely being "lucky" is going to be the deciding factor in the situation, "luck" tends to favor those who are more prepared than those who aren't.

For me personally, I have a gun with me all the time. If it is not on my person, it is within arms reach, whether I'm at home or not. (Unless I'm at a place where firearms are against the law).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    The majority of break ins occur while no one is home. You are asking to have you weapons stolen if you leave them hidden around the house and not in a safe. I speak from exerience on this one. I now own a nice, large, fireproof safe.
    I had this happen as well...and now have a safe...In michigan if a Kid (anyone under 18) gets your guns and commits a crime you are held liable..Thats the reason for the safe. The only gun out is the one I carry
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    What is everyones opinion on storing your gun(s) at home?
    Scenario #1 - you store your gun(s) at strategic points around your house. You come home one night and find a burglar and he has found your gun(s). You are carrying.

Scenario#2 - you store your guns in a safe. You are in your basement and your carry gun is two floors up. There is a home invasion coming through your basement door and you can't get to your gun.

Get to a safe outside location, call 911, and keep your eyes peeled for BG
    This is push come to shove , survival of the fittest; you start throwing everything INCLUDING the basement sink if you have to, to neutralize said threat

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Well we have a 3 year old & an infant around the house, so our 2 edc pistols (if not on our person) are locked in a quick access "gunvault" pistol safe & the rest along with the ammo are secured in our large gun safe where the children/burglers cant get them
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links