What "cop shows" get it right?

This is a discussion on What "cop shows" get it right? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Steven Segal's new show is the most accurate and true to life "Cop" show on the tube. And if you believe ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What "cop shows" get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Steven Segal's new show is the most accurate and true to life "Cop" show on the tube.

And if you believe that I got some swamp land here in Florida you might be interested in. What a sorry-a** excuse of a program. It that's realiity, that explains a lot about his bad acting.
    I agree..... did you check out the part when they checked out the guys sitting in the car and after about 5 minutes of talking with them Steven asks if anybody searched the guys....when they searched the one guy he had a gun in his pocket....man talk about poor officer saftey....and these guys were all high ranking personnel, i.e. one had Captain bars, the other had Full Colonel Wings on his collar.

Man I hope they are all not like that in Louisiana.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I love it when some carrying a 1911 cocks the hammer for effect, while their are DA 1911's I wonder if writers or crimnals know that?
    the reason so many of us carry out 1911s cocked and locked is because 1911s are single action firearms...in order to fire them the hammer does have to be cocked...otherwise there will be no "effect" other than "oops factor" when the trigger is pulled...i wonder if some gun owners know that?...

also...a da firearm is generally more easy to be accurate with when the hammer is cocked in sa fashion...something practiced with da revolvers also...

maybe we should start a thread that asks how many gun owners get it right...

I get a kick out of the cops holding their flashlights under their weapons, or is this something they now teach at the police academy..when I went through the academy thirty-six years ago,( I know I'm older then white dog poop ), we were taught to hold the flashlight to the side away from our bodies. The theory being the bad guy will shoot at the light.

So some of you younger cops enlighten me, or is this TV stuff also..

VIP Member
    Heah Tom,
    Sounds like we were fairly close in our LEO tenure. Yeah, I held the light up and away. I also kept the patrol unit spotlight down on the sidewalk as I looked for reflections from broken window glass.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What "cop shows" get it right?
    None.

When is the last time you saw a TV cop cursing a suspect?

I've been cursed by cops on a traffic stop. Nice training.

VIP Member
    I thought the first few episodes of 'Southland' seemed pretty realistic. No real glory, lots of mistakes, dysfunctional officers and broken down patrol units. As a former LEO, that really is more like I remember it. After the new shine wore off, I felt more like a walking diary of society. I spent more time writing and rewriting reports than I ever did chasing down bad guys.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I thought I had already posted this one, but there was an episode of Flashpoint where the bad guy was going to kill the serial killer that killed his daughter. He was a cop I think. Anyways he is in the locker room getting ready and someone tells him its time to go, then they walk out. The bad guy racks the slide on his 45. Then a few minutes later as he approaches the flashpoint team in a hall way he draws the 45, racks the slide again, and continues on, ignoring the live round he just dumped on the floor for some unknown reason.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I thought I had already posted this one, but there was an episode of Flashpoint where the bad guy was going to kill the serial killer that killed his daughter. He was a cop I think. Anyways he is in the locker room getting ready and someone tells him its time to go, then they walk out. The bad guy racks the slide on his 45. Then a few minutes later as he approaches the flashpoint team in a hall way he draws the 45, racks the slide again, and continues on, ignoring the live round he just dumped on the floor for some unknown reason.
    You did.

It's on page 2

I like Cold Case, but they're constantly making reference to guns being "registered to..." somebody. The show is set in Philadelphia, and PA doesn't have gun registration. At first I assumed it was because the show was written and produced in CA, but even CA doesn't require handguns to be registered.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

"COPS" is the first and the best TV show, with mandated cruiser cameras, that changed the way that most civilians thought about law enforcement; showing us how bad, lazy, crazy, drunken, drugged, mean people behaved before they had a chance to "lawyer up", clean up, dress, and rehearse their lines and whines for free newspaper space and TV time, recording their activities and acts with the facts about their attacks. I can't watch it for long before I start getting mad and remembering stuff. Those cruiser cams backfired on the perps after that Rodney King thing, because they were supposed to incriminate and stop the cops instead of the criminals.

I can relate to "Castle" because I might be a writer too...but without the pretty detective [FEMAL!] partner at the West Carrollton, Ohio, PD, to ride and be with me.
    Oh, on a sad and scary note: Last night, I once again saw a bad sad scary scene from "Fargo", where a lone cop stops a couple of suspects on a lonely dark cold snowy North Dakota road at night, stopping them because there was no license plate on the back of their car. The driver is trying to talk them out of it, the passenger waiting, a bagged and gagged woman on the back seat of a Cadillac. The driver tries to bribe the cop, making him even more suspicious, making him ask for the registration. The passenger reaches over, grabs the cop, runs his head into the car, opening the glove box, bringing out a gun, shooting the cop directly in the face while holding him in place. Two innocent witnesses drive slowly by. The passenger drives after them fast. They overturn their car in a snowy field off the road. One runs away to be shot in the back. A young boy is hurt and in the overturned car. The bad buy shoots him. Bad, quick, sick. Innocent people driving down an isolated country road at night, nice local folks shocked and surprised by such a sight. Yes, why weren't they armed? Being country folks.

There are exceptions, however IMO many LEOs including SWAT are under trained (it costs money to train). My brother is a big city LEO as an example, he is very well known in his juridiction. Before he was a LEO he was constantly practicing with his weapon. He has been a LEO now for many years and doesn't have the time or energy to practice as he did before he was a LEO. Even though my brother is two years younger than I he looks ten years older. I attribute this to the stress of being a LEO, i.e. constantly dealing with bad stuff, people lying to you, lousy work hours (even with seniority), tons of paper work and processing, etc etc.

Reno 911 We would sometimes watch it at the Sheriff's Office to cut the boredom. Most liked it for the comedy, but there was always a stuffed shirt or two that got in a huff.

I watched a couple seasons of The Wire. It was pretty good and showed a lot of the behind-the-scenes political garbage these undercover cops had to deal with in a series of drug cases.

That said, no one would have wanted to make a TV show out of my 2 years as Navy Police. It was boring as all heck except for a handful of instances.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

It is NOT what we are taught. We are taught to keep our finger off of the trigger until we are ready to shoot. It's an easy mistake to make, so you have to train yourself when you go to shoot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links