What "cop shows" get it right?

This is a discussion on What "cop shows" get it right? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all! I hate to admit it, but I am addicted to the "cop shows" on TV. I spend way too much time watching these ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What "cop shows" get it right?

Cool What "cop shows" get it right?

Greetings all!

I hate to admit it, but I am addicted to the "cop shows" on TV. I spend way too much time watching these shows, but I must admit I'm beginning to think that they demonstrate some pretty bad tactics and have poor weapon choices.

For example, I watched a show the other night where some of the main characters pursued a bad guy through a sewer system with pistols drawn while a SWAT officer followed closely behind with full body armor and what looked like an MP5. Now maybe I'm wrong, but if I was a LEO in that situation (which I am not) I would definitely want to be behind the guy with the MP5 and armor!

That being said, I would love to hear from those (with real tactical experience) what shows get it right in regards to good tactics, and correct weapon choices for the job at hand ... and what shows need to hire a technical advisor because they get it all wrong.

I realize that this may be a little out of the realm of concealed carry and more in lines with LEO tactics, but hey I'm bored while at home on a long weekend

2. Remove Ads

You might be better off getting an education for your own enjoyment. There are a few different schools of thought on how to move in a "tactical" environment - guns out - threat imminent.

I can't think of a single movie that get's it right and TV shows are poorly narrated highlight reels to my mind.
    Once you "know" you will not be able to watch a movie/TV without critique.
    There's always something new to learn or something you don't know.

Should be an interesting thread.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

I was watching an episode of COPS and the officer drew down and approached a perp carrying "gangsta" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    I was watching an episode of COPS and the officer drew down and approached a perp carrying "gangsta" style.
    Maybe they were "gangsta" cops
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

One thing these shows do well...(especially 'Criminal Minds'), is to make the case for CCW. The victims/sheep never have a chance. They're helpless prey for the most vicious predators.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Could I suggest a BOOK every now and then J/K

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Could I suggest a BOOK every now and then J/K

H/D
    Hogdaddy, I have a great collection of Cliff Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    One thing these shows do well...(especially 'Criminal Minds'), is to make the case for CCW. The victims/sheep never have a chance. They're helpless prey for the most vicious predators.
    Yes, this is true. It's too bad they NEVER show a legally-armed CCW private citizen defending himself . But I suppose if any network dared to do that, then the POTUS cronies would come down hard on them, like they recently did to FOX.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I love the way cop shows ignore Miranda, the 4th and 5th amendments, the accused's right to consult an attorney. I also love the way they threaten to lean on anyone who attempts to assert their rights

Actually, I guess on that point they're spot on

I've seen hundreds of episodes of the TV series "Cops," and have lost count of the number of times I've seen an officer draw down on or hold a suspect at gunpoint with their finger on the trigger. Don't know if this is what they are taught at the academy or not, but it really makes me wonder.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Senior Moderator
    I dont think any of the "cop shows" get it right, in fact its got to the point that I cant stand watching them.

I used to watch them to see how not to act.

Now, most of them just piss me off.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've heard a few DAs and other law enforcement officials complain about the CSI shows. Jurrors see it on TV and expect the same thing in the court room. If they don't see it then he must not be guilty.

The "CSI EFFECT" yea we have it up here too..... Every Cop/military show I have seen gets it wrong 95% of the time - its almost sad to see how poorly police/military tactics are depicted in movies and film. The TV show "Cops" is mind numbingly hard to watch - I just sit there most of the time thinking to myself "where is the cover officer" "are you going to properly secure your prisoner?" "Did you just put that prisoner into your car without searching them?" "why are you standing directly in front of the door when knocking?!" ..... etc etc etc.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Cop Shows get it Right??

Down here in Fulton County Ga, where even the Court House is not safe, the first two questions for Jury Duty is "What was your last involvement witha Law Enforcement officer? and What Police Shows do you watch on TV?? My answers are, I build DUI Task Force Cars for the city of XXXXXXXXX, and watch all of the current "Cops" shows to see how not to do policing......
    I am the first or second struck from the Jury Pool. After my last appearance for Jury Duty a week before the Courthouse Shooter in Fulton County, I will not be answering anymore Summons. You see the Summons goes out in regular mail and not Certified or Return Receipt requested so they do not know it even got to me. Lived in Gwinnett County for 20 years and got served once, now living in Fulton County and have had 3 service requests in 8 years. What is wrong with this picture???
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

How did this thread go from asking which "cop shows" get tactics right to bashing LEOs in every other aspect?

Lighten up a little fellas.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links