cop shoots dog

This is a discussion on cop shoots dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just found it funny when the guy said the 45 was over kill oh wait let me look for something different to kill your dog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cop shoots dog

cop shoots dog

Just found it funny when the guy said the 45 was over kill oh wait let me look for something different to kill your dog while its coming after me. Some people I am a dog owner an I keep my dogs in my yard don't let them get loose. I guess it can happen if they dig or jump a fence. Don't care if the dog is only 30 pounds he has teeth.
    Fremont, N.C. — A Wayne County family was grieving the loss of their pet on Friday.

The Stanton family’s dog, a 7-month-old bulldog mix named Diesel, was shot by a police officer after investigators said it and a doberman-pit-bull mix, attacked a family walking near their Fremont home on Thanksgiving.

“Initially it was just shock. I just didn’t understand what was going on. I didn’t understand why it was going on,” Daniell Stanton said.

Stanton said he believes he found the shell casing involved in the shooting.

“I feel that the excessive force of the .45 caliber handgun to put down a 7-month-old puppy was probably too much,” Stanton said.

Stanton acknowledges his dogs were out and said he'll gladly accept citations issued by the officer. However, he believes his dogs were trying to play with a group walking by with a leashed Chihuahua when an officer got involved.

Stanton wants officers to receive training to use a different type of weapon in a situation like this.

“An apology is not going to bring the dog back,” Stanton said.

Police said 30-pound Diesel was shot after biting a 15-year-old boy and then coming after the officer.

“He came toward the officer aggressively and at that point the officer took him down,” Freemont Police Chief Ron Rawlings said.

Rawlings said the officer who shot Diesel is a K-9 officer.

“He loves pets, probably more than anyone,” Rawlings said.

Stanton said his concerns go beyond just his dog. He was concerned the bullet could have ricocheted off of a metal grate nearby.

Rawlings said the officer did the right thing by using a gun and not another weapon like mace. He said the real victim in the case is the family who was walking down the street and attacked by the dogs.

Hope Troutman, who was walking her Chihuahua, said she felt threatened by the dogs and was grateful for the officer’s actions.

“I hate what happened, but then again our officers are paid to protect and serve our citizens,” Rawlings said.

Rawlings said there is no investigation into the officer's actions.

* Reporter: Erin Hartness
    * Photographer: Michael Joyner
    * Web Editor: Kathy Hanrahan
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

2. Remove Ads

45 cal is more merciful than impounding the dog and putting it down latter as a biter.

The 15 year old male that was bite may have medical bill that the dog owner should have to pay.

Lesson is keep your dog in next time and don't get a pit bull type dog.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

So, cops should carry a .45 for humans and say a .22 for dogs? Hmmmm. Don't get the logic. Dead is dead regardless of caliber. Better for the dog to be dead than wounded. (Probably better for the cop, to).
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    .45 is a more humane way to kill an attacking dog than an ASP.
    Did the guy want the cop to just TAZER the dog? PEPPER SPRAY?

These are the tools cops carry, what other method did the guy think was ok?

Who cares? The officer did the right thing, and should be thanked for it, not questioned.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

This seems like another case where the owner thinks its play, and everyone else perceives it as an attack. Including an K9 LEO.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post

Rawlings said there is no investigation into the officer's actions.

Good. The whole thing sound like another irresponsible dog owner
    that wants everyone else to cater to them.

yeah I think the guy knows he is wrong but trying to make a big deal maybe to get them to try and drop the ticket. Think the city should send the dog owner a bill for the round lol.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

An oldie, but a goodie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Itfr_V424

I'm somewhat biased when it comes to cops shooting dogs. A local sheriff shot and killed my neighbors akita mix a while back. Dog didnt have a mean bone in his body. 3 rounds as the dog was running away.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    An oldie, but a goodie:
    YouTube - Aggressive Dog Tasered By Cop

I'm somewhat biased when it comes to cops shooting dogs. A local sheriff shot and killed my neighbors akita mix a while back. Dog didnt have a mean bone in his body. 3 rounds as the dog was running away.
    That is absolutely ridiculous! Shoot that dog!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

An oldie, but a goodie:
    YouTube - Aggressive Dog Tasered By Cop

Well that link you showed I would of thought that would of been enough to put the dog down. People fail to realize that dogs tolerance of pain is different then people. Labs can jump in cold water all day and it wont bother them. If you ever seen dogs play and fight they bite each other and really doesn't phase them. You can see that in the video the dog felt the taser put didn't put him down like a human I know if a dog comes at me and I can shot it I am. If he stops before I shoot and turns tail I wont shoot.
    Uly

I wasn't there. But if I witness a 30lb+ "bull" type dog biting others and then see it come violently after me, then I'm going to see it stopped. If that dog will only listen to 9mm or greater insistence, then that'll have to be its problem ... not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
    People fail to realize that dogs tolerance of pain is different then people.
    Yup.

I've been aggressively chewed on by a dog once. It isn't pretty. Had to shove my hand down its throat in order to get the dang thing to stop. It was about the only choice I had, given that my hand was in its mouth and it wouldn't let go. I simply gave it what it was asking for: a mouthful of me. Of course, I did it for a sufficiently long period of time for it to realize that breathing was more important than chewing on me. I won't go there, again. I, too, am out there to "protect and serve" humans over aggressive attacking dogs, every day of the week.

You don't want your dog stopped permanently? Then, don't let it out to wreak havoc on neighborhood children and others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

“I feel that the excessive force of the .45 caliber handgun to put down a 7-month-old puppy was probably too much,” Stanton said.
    Way to play on words so it sounds like a defenseless baby.

wever, he believes his dogs were trying to play with a group walking by with a leashed Chihuahua when an officer got involved.
    IT BIT THE BOY!

Stanton said his concerns go beyond just his dog. He was concerned the bullet could have ricocheted off of a metal grate nearby.
    Uh Huh....
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Why was your neighbor allowing his dog to run loose?

Shoot the dog and zap the owner with a tazer... the spray him with pepper spary for letting his dog "play" without a leash on.

That Stanton guy needs to suck it up and realize he is part of the problem. He is to blame for the death of his own dog because he is not responsible enough to keep the animal contained.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links