Not liking my neighborhood right now...

This is a discussion on Not liking my neighborhood right now... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a scary situation on thanksgiving night which has me thinking about moving. To put it all into context, Im literally a stone's throw away ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Had a scary situation on thanksgiving night which has me thinking about moving. To put it all into context, Im literally a stone's throw away from northwest Minneapolis, which if you look on the Minneapolis PD's website and go to their crime map, Yeah, lots of shotspotter activations. So anywho... Thursday night, I come out of my tryptophan induced coma at around 1:30 am and decided to further screw up my sleep schedule by taking a stroll to the gas station for a tall cup of coffee. Of course I bring the sigma with me, as I've made it a regular habit. I make it to the gas station and get my coffee and start heading back to my apartment, which is just past a "hole in the wall" bar that sits at a division of road, similar to a "Y" formation.
    I take a right at the division which goes to my apartment and has extremely poor lighting, puts my head on swivel. just before Im parallel with the Bar to my left, I hear a car come to a near screeching halt in back of me. I turn around watch this car pull forward on the left section of the "Y" and come through the parking lot of the Bar and towards me. I stop in my tracks across the street from the bar and watch as the car sits for nearly 30 seconds, then takes a left, going towards my apartment.
    The one shady characteristic of this car that puts me on red is the fact that this is a newer model Chrysler, and its back license plate lights are out. Someone doesnt want to seen or recognized.
    I keep walking torwards my place, thinking happy thoughts until I get to my apartment which is just beyond a cul-de-sac when the same car comes out and stops just twenty feet before me. Im potentially in a bad spot, coz they can shine the brights on me and I'd be shooting blind, coz now Im a split second from drawing should a car door open and I get anything short of a friendly tone of voice. I decide to create some distance and get on the lawn across the street, the car postures to the right and Im now directly in the headlights, with the gun out under my coat. I stop and stare, waiting for the next move, or sound of movement....nothing.
    The car pulls off to my left and speeds off into the night with no incident.

Suffice to say, I will not be renewing my lease. I'd rather just move than have to shoot someone. Now the know the true value of SA, coz the fight was won before it began. Lesson is that situational awareness is king.
    Last edited by xsigma40cal; November 30th, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: bla bla bla

VIP Member
    Rest of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Rest of the story?
    Guess he never made it home. Tough neighborhood.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yeah right, LOL!

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

yeah yeah, I hit the wrong button.

I would be ending my lease. Scary stuff.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Yeah right, LOL!
    ^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I agree, you should find a more quite place to live. But don't forget, idiots live everywhere.

Good luck, and keep up your SA.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm not sure what the issue is. The person(s) in the car made no attempt to contact you. They never approached you and their behavior seems relatively harmless. Yet, you were ready to throw down if they so much as opened the car door?
    I don't get it ?

BTW if your neighbor hood is that flaky what are you doing out and about W/ the vampires and sewer rats a half hour before the bars close?

Sounds to me like one of the times when the hair stands up on the back of your neck.

Somehow you know or realize that it is time to take action now.

Glad it worked OK keep working on SA and stay armed.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

"BTW if your neighbor hood is that flaky what are you doing out and about W/ the vampires and sewer rats a half hour before the bars close?"-Treo

If you payed attention to the early details, this happened on Thanksgiving night. The bars were closed.

Sounds as if you were pretty jumpy and with good cause at that time of night in that neighborhood. Why on earth would you leave your place at that hour in that neighborhood, on foot, for a cup of gas station coffee?

The part of town I live in is usually pretty quiet, add to the fact that its thanksgiving night, and NOBODY is out, anywhere. I know my neighborhood very well so I feel comfortable walking to the gas station, which is about 1/4 mile away. And the car is in the shop. My life revolves around the needs and wants of myself and my family, Not a bunch of criminals from north minne.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    The part of town I live in is usually pretty quiet, add to the fact that its thanksgiving night, and NOBODY is out, anywhere. I know my neighborhood very well so I feel comfortable walking to the gas station, which is about 1/4 mile away. And the car is in the shop. My life revolves around the needs and wants of myself and my family, Not a bunch of criminals from north minne.

Well, I admire your spirit but I have to question your wisdom here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links