opinion??

opinion??

This is a discussion on opinion?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; senario: wife and I are walking across a parking lot. Her in front by maybe 20 feet.Me pushing cart around parked cars. A sedan pulls ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinion??

Question opinion??

senario: wife and I are walking across a parking lot. Her in front by maybe 20 feet.Me pushing cart around parked cars. A sedan pulls between us and a B.G.reaches out the window and snatches her purse, dragging her a little before she looses her grip.I'm leagally packing,can I shoot the perps? They are technically no longer posing a threat as they speed away. wa. state

My vote is no since they are no longer a threat.

Although not a legal opinion, I would say no, it is not a good idea. Firstly, it is extremely difficult to target a moving car. Secondly, and perhaps more important, if you are in a parking lot, you open up the possibility of hitting an innocent bystander. This would get you into very serious trouble, or worse. And you are correct, they are not a threat at that moment, and depending on your state law, it might be an illegal action.

Your best bet, IMO, is to try and get as much info about the car and the BG, and call 911 immediately. Call an ambulance, if necessary, and possibly look for witnesses.

I think in your scenario, that is the only reasonable course of action.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member
    Teach her to walk with you not in front of you.

And no, don't shoot.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Although I do have to say that the idea of a criminal grabbing a purse or taking my wallet and then having knowledge of where I live is very scary.

No. You can't shoot to express anger, you can't shoot to protect property, you can only use deadly force to avert a threat to life, etc. that's approaching -- not one that's leaving. Same as if you shoot a bad guy: as soon as he/she's no longer a threat you have to stop shooting -- even if you're still hyped up, you're still scared, you're angry, etc.

Whether you can or can't isn't the question. Why would you. You don't pull your weapon and shoot to protect property. You don't take a chance on missing and hurting an innocent person just for a purse.

If someone comes up to you with a ski mask, no weapon in hand and says give me your watch or wallet you walk away or give it to him. You don't shoot. IMO

Purse is gone. However, it points out one very very very good reason women should not 'carry' in their purse.

David, You are wrong in your example. Man with a ski mask. No visible weapons. How to you know he doesn't have a weapon. Do you ask? I hope you shoot.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by qwert View Post
    senario: wife and I are walking across a parking lot. Her in front by maybe 20 feet.Me pushing cart around parked cars. A sedan pulls between us and a B.G.reaches out the window and snatches her purse, dragging her a little before she looses her grip.I'm leagally packing,can I shoot the perps? They are technically no longer posing a threat as they speed away. wa. state
    Of course not. A fleeing purse snatcher does not pose an immediate, unavoidable deadly threat to you or your wife. If you are licensed to carry a concealed weapon I would think this kind of situation would have been covered in your training.

could you see

no longer in danger as they speed away ...PS>could you see if the BG had his 1 year old baby sitting shotgun. or in the car seat in back .the jury would eat you a live for shooting a kid . just be glad you did not have to shoot and replace her purse and stuff....(senario)
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Rush to your wife and give her first aid, secure the situation but do not fire at a fleeing BG. If he turned around and tried to run you over, fire to stop the action. At this pointy your wife would be un-movable and you are protecting against a deadly assault. He would probably run both of you over after you shot him anyway due to momentum.

any time you have to ask can I shoot ? the answer's probably no

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Teach her to walk with you not in front of you.
    And no, don't shoot.

Z
    Very well said.
    "We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the ******** in any direction."
    ~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by qwert View Post
    Why don't you refer to your state law and spend the money for a one hour consultation with a lawyer in your state to answer this question for you?

Ask this question and what the "mood of the court" is regarding such actions. Also, may I suggest you read "In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. It will help you to answer that question for yourself.

If more people actually spent a couple of dollars asking lawyers questions, maybe they wouldn't feel compelled to go into politics and we wouldn't be in the mess we are in. God save the republic.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links