Is it just me?

This is a discussion on Is it just me? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've ready alot of these scenarios. Maybe this is a good thing, but after going through one after the next, it seems like responding them ...

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

I've ready alot of these scenarios. Maybe this is a good thing, but after going through one after the next, it seems like responding them is like answering an SAT question.

No matter what the scenario is, the correct response is either going to be "assess the situation, take the shot, call 911" or "assess the situation, head for cover/exit, and call 911". you can change just about every aspect of a scenario and its still going to fall within one of these 2 catagories.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I've ready alot of these scenarios. Maybe this is a good thing, but after going through one after the next, it seems like responding them is like answering an SAT question.

No matter what the scenario is, the correct response is either going to be "assess the situation, take the shot, call 911" or "assess the situation, head for cover/exit, and call 911". you can change just about every aspect of a scenario and its still going to fall within one of these 2 catagories.

No, I don't think you are being too simplistic.

You will either have time to summon help, or you won't. If you can summon help, only a fool would not do so IMHO. Lord knows there are a lot of fools in the world, and they seem to be multiplying at a much more rapid rate than sensible people.

"There are no winners in a gunfight," as Massad Ayoob says, "only survivors." Anytime I can do something other than firing my weapon I'm further ahead of the game. That doesn't mean that I let someone kill or maim me or another, but it does mean that using my gun will be the last reasonable option at that point.

When it comes to using a weapon as a tool of life preservation, there aren't a lot of options to use one legally or without significant civil repercussions. The thing is, when one is needed, nothing else will suffice near as well. Lots of people spend time looking for situations in which they can shoot, if lots of post here can be believed. Truth be told, many that say they will shoot in a given scenario will most likely urinate themselves and either not step up when the time is struck, or produce the weapon at the wrong time and make the situation worse.

I was in a big name outdoor sporting goods store talking with a clerk. He was telling me of all the practice he had been doing. He did say something that I sort of agreed with, "If one is going to carry a gun they have the responsibility to make sure they can hit what they aim at." I reponded that while I think accuracy is important, I think it's more important to know what you can and cannot do, and when. Thus, in my mind it's more important to know the "rules of the game" than being the best at the game.

Scenarios are good because they allow one to study various situations without being an actual participant. Thus I find them a valuable tool to pre-plan the strategy that one might use in a similar scenario. It helps to open one's eyes on possible situations they may find themselves in.

You have summed up the likely responses nicely I think, as they are the relative responses to a situation requiring a firearm.

Biker

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

You cannot do anything Advanced Until you have Mastered the Basics.

and there is Beauty in simplicity.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'm always walking around thinking "what would I do if a BG jumped at me from there" or "if i wanted to rob someone where would I hide around here".. things like that.

I can see how debating over such scenarios online can help in preparedness. Other people will always think of a possible outcome or response that you may not.

Thats why I'm on the board, to soak up knowledge and ideas from those who have vastly more experiance than myself.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

The only thing I'd change is "assess the situation, counter the situation, call 911 if applicable".

IMO, a handgun isn't always the right answer. It's situational, and the ultimate goal should be to defuse the situation with the minimal amount of force necessary.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm always walking around thinking "what would I do if a BG jumped at me from there" or "if i wanted to rob someone where would I hide around here".. things like that.

I can see how debating over such scenarios online can help in preparedness. Other people will always think of a possible outcome or response that you may not.

Thats why I'm on the board, to soak up knowledge and ideas from those who have vastly more experiance than myself.
    There are smart ways of doing things, and there are ways of doing things. Through my personal experience many of smart things may not be the most noble, but the end result maybe more desired.

Everybody preaches firearms are last resort, yet even people that say they would pull their firearms, then continue to mention all the other things they would do. Well a firearm is a last resort, if you can call 911, then call 911. There is no "Text book" situations there are however text book responses.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

No, it is not just you.

Once again Biker is on point, FTW...As in my own opinion as per my own living in this world life view.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hey there, Bfunk. Just like my scenerio, you're there and something's got to be done right now. The options are endless. It will usually come down to some instinct: save the victim, save myself from liability, or (worse case in my mind)ignore it all and walk away, depending on the individual.

Biker hits it on the head!! I believe one gets in trouble when one overthinks the situation. We can train, speculate, imagine, discuss and pretty much beat the crap out of every possible situation we can imagine. It doesn't mean crap when the merde hits the ventalateur. For me, it would boil down to do I shoot or do I not. A buddy of mine once said that if your aunt had male organs, then she'd be your uncle.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Links