This wasn't supposed to be your life!

This is a discussion on This wasn't supposed to be your life! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - Meth Commercial They've been showing this commercial alot in my area recently and every time it runs I tell my wife it would ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This wasn't supposed to be your life!

This wasn't supposed to be your life!

YouTube - Meth Commercial

They've been showing this commercial alot in my area recently and every time it runs I tell my wife it would have been the worlds shortest commercial if I was in that laundramat.

That said I'm not sure there's any place to take a shot. I though maybe as he was running up the asile but the lady W/ the baby is right behind him.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Well, I am in the corner, gun ready, and being a good witness. He comes at me like that, I aim my gun, in a command voice tell him to stop. If he doesn't, I shoot.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Taking a shot given the camera angles would be risky business in my opinion. Even the best JHPs might go through at that range... He comes at me, I fire no questions asked. MIGHT try to side step so incase of a FULL penetration (Through and through) it would hit the sheet metal on a washer/dryer, though once again NOT the best thing... BEST shot would be as the guy in the chair. GET UP and step to the side BEFORE he rushes you and if he still attacks, there is nothing at the wall behind him so that would be the safest shot IMO. Oince again though, I dont see the entire layout of the landromat, so its hard to say.
    (Also just a note, the moment he rushed in a grabbed the first guy, Id already be code red, and make the attempt to find a more tactically sound position other than sitting in a chair or just standing there)
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

They've been showing this commercial alot in my area recently
    Ditto
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I didn't see him brandish any kind of weapon. You would most likely get screwed in court if you killed him. However, if he would have touched that baby, I would have shot. To me that's serious bodily harm or death to the baby and justifiable in my eyes...
    It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    H&K USP .45 compact
    Glock 27
    Ruger LCP (she's so cute!)

No weapon on his person required as in this instance, in specific.
    His hands were his weapon and he'd already used them twice to assault and overpower two other persons in the laundromat.

But I too would not draw a firearm.
    Instead I'd draw my can of simma down, OC/CS, as kept by my side in it's holster or my rear pant pocket and I'd starch this mans shorts.

Upon spraying him I'd quickly pocket the spray and retreat.
    If no retreat is available then a very _QUICK_ soccer kick to the groin or a heel kick to the inner thigh would suffice to stun him further if not put him to the ground (assuming the OC/CS) did not already do that job for me so that I can side step/slide him and evac myself from being cornered.

I from the street, as behind cover if not concealment, dial 911 and report my experience while maintaining direct eye contact on the building and/or attacker inside.

My firearm remains holstered.
    I reholster my OC/CS...And my knife as well remains holstered or pocketed.
    No blood letting lethal force tools involved, nor required.

Key though to all of the above response is to develop _before hand_ a 'plan'.

A thought process of A = B+C/D. As well to develop inner peace as under pressure. An ability to in the immediate be able to calm ones self and act rather than 'react'. Actions as controlled decisions rather than reactions as by 'chance' results including panic, which is what was depicted in this clip by all three victims.
    Reactionary _panic_ is what is most common for persons under these conditions because they simply do not think of these types of life & living factual occurrence possibilities.

As I have long said not every incidence requires or is even advisable to involve lethal force.
    Never mind penetration possibility. A much greater potential is that the citizen would out right _MISS_ and drop a shot. The background is a mother with her two children as in front of a plate glass window leading out to a public street.
    A miss is of much higher and most plausible concern. Especially considering the vast majority of gun owners and gun carriers, including police, do not train with any regularity what so ever.

Having non-lethal force tools at hand AND being of a physical condition to be able to respond to conditions (ability to run and/or strike if necessary as without necessarily going into a protracted 'street fight' tussle) is in many cases more functional and overall prudent than simply leaping to the top most security response protocol of drawn guns.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Weapon or no, in SC, you are allowed to use your weapon if you believe yourself to "be in fear of imminent loss of life or GRAVE BODILY INJURY." You can also defend someone else if you believe they are in the same danger and "any reasonable person" would do the same. My gun would be drawn and in my lap. If I had a clear shot, I'd take it. If he ran at me like that, I'd aim and command, "Stop or I'll shoot!" One more step and he's in a body bag.

If he ran at me like that, I'd aim and command, "Stop or I'll shoot!" One more step and he's in a body bag.
    Go back and watch the commercial again. when he's running down that back aisle towards himself look at the background. There's a lady and a baby and I think a couple of kids dead in your line of fire. You really can't shoot there.

I'd OC him and (if at all possible) leave

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutnmuffinz View Post
    However, if he would have touched that baby, I would have shot. To me that's serious bodily harm or death to the baby and justifiable in my eyes...
    Absolutely. There are things that one doesn't do in my presence and that's on the list.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member

Minor suggestion on combative re:Jang

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Instead I'd draw my can of simma down, OC/CS, as kept by my side in it's holster or my rear pant pocket and I'd starch this mans shorts.

If no retreat is available then a very _QUICK_ soccer kick to the groin or a heel kick to the inner thigh would suffice to stun him further if not put him to the ground (assuming the OC/CS) did not already do that job for me so that I can side step/slide him and evac myself from being cornered.
    - Janq
    Just some thoughts. 1)Use more than one combative strike, follow up on the kick with an additional strike or two before attempting to "put him on the ground;" 2) beware of the OC/CS you just soaked him with as you attempt to put him on the ground--it might get back on you.

What I think you are saying is stun,disorient, disable, , and git-outta-there. For a young athletic and trained fellow as yourself that sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    What I think you are saying is stun,disorient, disable, , and git-outta-there. For a young athletic and trained fellow as yourself that sounds like a plan.
    I'm 55, 6'2" and weigh 285 - I don't do "run". I can disable or kill an opponent with one move of my left hand and index finger. Grip, Draw, Curl, Pull - repeat last two steps as necessary.

I won't take half measures on the street. There is no such thing as a fair fight or giving the other guy a chance or an even break. I intend to go home unharmed and will do what's necessary to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just some thoughts. 1)Use more than one combative strike, follow up on the kick with an additional strike or two before attempting to "put him on the ground;" 2) beware of the OC/CS you just soaked him with as you attempt to put him on the ground--it might get back on you.

Hopyard,
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    I don't run(cane)and have neck/back injuries. If I have to engage someone it will be done to MY BEST ADVANTAGE! Enough said.

The situation in the video could become lethal at any point, especially for an infant/child. Having worked with meth addicts I would not recommend the OC/CS as there is a good record of it not working well in that context.

There are a number of other valid points (collateral damage etc.) already made. I'm still thinking on what my reaction would be. I know what my FIRST thought was, but with the bystanders I'm not sure it is the BEST response.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

The laundromat appears to be laid out in one rectangular room W/ a bank of washing machines down the middle and dryers on the back wall. As the meth head comes in the door it looks like there's an older lady right infront of the door, a guy just to the left of the door the baby lady in the back left corner and the doppleganger in the back right corner.

so three corners of the room are full of collateral damage. Unless you're in the front right and you tag him as he's running along the back wall you're kinda screwed.

On the upside if he circles the building like he did you've got plenty of time to draw before he gets to you (assuming RF corner). I don't care how meth'd up he is you dump 4 OZ of Fox Labs down his throat and you're gonna change his plans for the day.

Distinguished Member
    Layout of the laundromat: At 00:20, you can see that there is an aisle - mirror to the one with the mother and children - at the end of the room. One can move from one aisle to the other on either end of the laundromat, with washers/dryers in the center.

The elapsed time of the attack is 20 seconds. "Meth Me" enters laundromat at 00:04 and grabs "Clean Me" at 00:23.

Sitting at "Clean Me's" location, you have to recognize the threat as "Meth Me" enters to have an opportunity to react. He begins the attack upon entry. Recognizing the threat at the attack on the mother and children leaves only 7 seconds before "Meth Me" is on you. He covers the distance from them to you in 3 seconds.

If aware, one might move to the left and into the opposite aisle from the attacker, using the washers/dryers as an obstacle. Engaging from that location allows you, and everyone else, an opportunity to escape further harm. If you must fire, you have a better background visible. Of course you can't know what is behind the dryers.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Well, I am in the corner, gun ready, and being a good witness. He comes at me like that, I aim my gun, in a command voice tell him to stop. If he doesn't, I shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    No weapon on his person required as in this instance, in specific.
    His hands were his weapon and he'd already used them twice to assault and overpower two other persons in the laundromat.

My firearm remains holstered.
    I reholster my OC/CS...And my knife as well remains holstered or pocketed. No blood letting lethal force tools involved, nor required.

As I have long said not every incidence requires or is even advisable to involve lethal force.
    Never mind penetration possibility. A much greater potential is that the citizen would out right _MISS_ and drop a shot. The background is a mother with her two children as in front of a plate glass window leading out to a public street.
    A miss is of much higher and most plausible concern. Especially considering the vast majority of gun owners and gun carriers, including police, do not train with any regularity what so ever.

Having non-lethal force tools at hand AND being of a physical condition to be able to respond to conditions (ability to run and/or strike if necessary as without necessarily going into a protracted 'street fight' tussle) is in many cases more functional and overall prudent than simply leaping to the top most security response protocol of drawn guns.

- Janq
    OK, so here is my reasoning, and this would apply only to me, sort of.

I am almost 55, short, light and right now in a lot of pain due to a possible double hernia. I am in no physical condition to take on a young kid high on meth. I am not going to a hospital with bodily harm because this kid can't control his life. OC spray? Ya, but that assumes that I can spray him and get out of the way quickly. I can't.

So my strategy was when he entered to get a row of washers between him and me. I have my gun at low ready. If he comes towards me, I point my gun at him. Gosh, I am hoping even a meth addict can understand a gun pointed at him. At that point, if he physically comes around the washers and plans to attack me, I fire.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links