Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

This is a discussion on Carrying on Campus - What would happen if.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good luck....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

Good luck.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Go to college in a state that allows students and faculty to carry, Idaho is very nice.

Join SCCC and hold meetings and invite the student newspaper reporter.

Discuss the Tueller Drill, it works in reverse too. A dozen unarmed students face a lone crazed gunman. The students charge en mass and overwhelm the killer. Some may get shot, but he can't take his time and kill you all. 21 feet and get the jocks and vets "enlisted" while you hold the SCCC meetings.

Get the parents to withhold alumni funds and season ticket purchases as long as the law is stupid.
    not really... at least not everywhere. here is one from the ISU webpage. "No student shall be permitted to carry firearms or other weapons, concealed or not concealed, with or without a concealed weapon permit, while upon properties owned or controlled by the university without permission from the Director of Public Safety."

Firearms Storage Policy | ISU Department of Public Safety | Idaho State University

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Depends, I guess.

Maybe I'm less cynical, but I bet even if this hypothetical student was charged with anything, they'd be no-billed by any sane grand jury.

Might get thrown out of school, but public uproar would probably get him back with a relatively minor fight.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i predict national hero status due to the history of mass school shootings and his ability to save many lives with his actions...its hard to play down what he does in this case...

no arrest for killing the shooter...

arrest for illegally carrying a firearm on campus...but receiving a minimal penalty because he thwarted multiple killings...a penalty must be levied to reinforce that a crime was committed regardless of it ending well...

a well publicized beer with obama where the kid is told that if gun control was allowed to be implemented the way he wants it that he wouldnt hav had to go through all this trouble...the kid tries to explain the gun owners side of the story but is left alone in a room with pelosi as punishment for even trying...he considers suicide but realizes even then she probably wouldnt get the point...

countless civil suits against him from parents of students who are permanently scarred for having to watch him kill another human being in front of them...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Now let's add another twist to this.....

In Tennessee, state law says that if a person is illegally carrying a weapon with the "intent to go armed," yet that person uses that weapon in justifiable self defense, then it becomes legal that he was carrying.

No, I'm not kidding. Read that again.

But really, it makes sense. I mean, if the weapon was actually used in justifiable self defense, that's hard to argue with.

Of course, the school's policies would still burn him.
    hat's called a safe harbor law, several states have that law. Indiana I believe has that law. Here in Colorado it is not illegal, just against school policy. He would be expelled and the public out cry would make the board change their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    What will most likely be his fate?

Does he go to jail? Is he kicked out of school?
    Probably both.

Irrespective of the fact that he stopped a felon in the act of mowing down innocents, the brainwashed establishment simply cannot accept the fact that a person dares thumb his/her nose at the policies of the campus ... no matter how many people were saved. My guess is that Johnnie gets expelled and very likely gets charged. Silly as that all seems, given the absolute good in the act performed.

Life is a booger, sometimes, as implemented by the suits in charge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post

So much these days depends on *perception* rather than reality.
    This.

Expect trouble. I have often wondered about this same scenario.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. Might as well do the right thing and be glad to walk away without any extra holes.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

As I have seen mentioned in a few replies already, perception will play a role in the final decisions. The kid was already in the wrong before the other stuent went Nutz. The incident you described just forced him to make it known that he was breaking the law carrying a concealed firearm(No CCL) on campus. BUT if spinned properly in the media the persons on the board at the campus might decide to not expel the student an only give him probation due to the lives that were saved. The DA may decide not to press the issue on the young man for the same reasons, or at least allow him to plead to a significantly lesser charge.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Quote Originally Posted by HUSTLEnomics View Post
    The kid was already in the wrong before the other stuent went Nutz. The incident you described just forced him to make it known that he was breaking the law carrying a concealed firearm(No CCL) on campus.
    Such situations show the lunacy of statutory criminality. None of which is based on actual threat to others. The student in the hypothetical scenario was carrying for his own defense was a threat to nobody, of course, other than criminals caught in the act of extreme violence. And yet, the law would have us believe the student was wrong, was bad, must be taken away and taught a lesson, blah blah blah. Horseradish.

And yet, that's what would likely be done, irrespective of his good samaritan action and having done the absolute right thing in stopping the violent crime. Still, given that he wasn't supported by the statutes in his state, he'd be at the mercy of those sworn to uphold the laws in that state. Same with mere "policies," as well. Pretty simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He'd just be another school shooter according to CNN.

Maybe if he's lucky, he will be reported as someone "Who stopped the gunman...and now back to the health care debate..." because the story wouldn't fit the media's agenda, therefore it is ignored.

Charged...probably not.
    Expelled, likely.

Depends on the State Attorney/DA.

Think Durham and the lacrosse team...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Well yeah, but he would be charged as already mentioned.
    But I’m still a little fuzzy on this whole hero thing. I recall an incident a long time ago where a fellow LEO dragged an injured person from a car fire and he was subsequently sued for causing permanent spinal damage to the woman’s neck. She would have clearly died in the fire had he not risked his own life to get her out of the burning car immediately! So, after all of the handshakes and awards, the ambulance chaser’s craw out of the gutters.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I'd say it depends on how the event is spun by the media and local authorities. In some regions the guy would be hailed as a hero, in other regions he would be arrested and charged. If that were to happen, he would immediately need to hire a lawyer/spokesperson to spin the story to his advantage (i.e. get family members of would-be victims on television to show the undying gratitute, etc.). This would put at least some pressure on the local authorities not to pursue charges.

So much these days depends on *perception* rather than reality.
    I think his best bet would be to get the other nineteen would be victims or their familys seated on his jury!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links