Carrying on Campus - What would happen if.... - Page 3

Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

This is a discussion on Carrying on Campus - What would happen if.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RebelRabbi Bernhard Goetz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia man...how soon we forget...brings to light a whole new set of problems... the shooters ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    man...how soon we forget...brings to light a whole new set of problems...

the shooters family sues stating he probably wouldnt have even commited the crime if he thought someone would be carrying on a campus...he chose the campus becasue it was a gun free zone and he would be able to kill many more people before taking his own life...because he was shot by someone carrying illegally on campus he was denied his ultimate goal and died dissatisfied because he wasnt able to fulfill his dream...i see a large civil suit....

Well in the state of VA he'd be fine if he was old enough to CC. As long as it wasn't VCU. He probably wouldn't be allowed back on campus ever, but he'd be ok.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    How is it illegal to carry on college campus? It's actually legal in many of the states. Get your info right before you present an ambiguous scenario.

The kid who was carrying "illegally" is going to be railed on charges of illegal possession or carrying of a hangun, depending on which state you're in. He will obviously not be charged with homicide.

Criminals like to jump/kill or driveby innocent citizens in bad area's, such as ghetto's, all the time. Many citizens there have begun carrying guns illegally, by way of not buying them legally, or being under age, but if they shoot in self-defense, they aren't charged with homicide.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think he gets charged on several accounts, but he gets off lightly since he saved the day. For sure he gets the boot from the tree-hugging school.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    How is it illegal to carry on college campus? It's actually legal in many of the states. Get your info right before you present an ambiguous scenario.
    I was under the impression that there are states where it's legal (Utah and Colorado, maybe?), but the colleges themselves prohibit it. I don't know of any campuses in my state where I'd be allowed to carry.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Naturally, there are a bazillion possible factors at play here. The students he saved could include the Dean's daughter, the Mayor's son, and the Police Chief's nephew.

I guess you never know. Sorry if this scenario was too ambiguous.

Thats what you hope for right there ^^^..

but lets say he had a CCW and the college does not allow carry? what happens then?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well yeah, but he would be charged as already mentioned.
    But Iím still a little fuzzy on this whole hero thing. I recall an incident a long time ago where a fellow LEO dragged an injured person from a car fire and he was subsequently sued for causing permanent spinal damage to the womanís neck. She would have clearly died in the fire had he not risked his own life to get her out of the burning car immediately! So, after all of the handshakes and awards, the ambulance chaserís craw out of the gutters.
    You are exactlly right, Saber.

In this day of too many lawyers and PC news types, everyone forgets that the reason for the student bringing a gun was because of the unsafe atmosphere in the school and threats made. The people who should be put in jail are the school board members who foster the gun free killing zone.

We really need to vote out all of the fools in office and put in new people who understand the need for safe environments for our children and retribution for the scumbags not the heroes.

Capt. Art

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy08 View Post
    I was under the impression that there are states where it's legal (Utah and Colorado, maybe?), but the colleges themselves prohibit it. I don't know of any campuses in my state where I'd be allowed to carry.
    If it is legal to carry on a college campus, as it is in most states, however it is against the colleges' policy, the most they can do is ask you to leave. In some states trespass signs hold weight(such as OH I believe), so you may be charged anyway, but in PA, "no weapons allowed" signs hold no legal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Thats what you hope for right there ^^^..

but lets say he had a CCW and the college does not allow carry? what happens then?
    What happens then is YOU ARE ALIVE and you might have to find a new college to attend. I'd rather transfer to another school then be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I'd rather transfer to another school then be dead.
    Hear, Hear
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

It's legal in Colorado by law to carry on any college campus period. CU thinks they can make law, but at last they can only make school policy. If you are ask to leave it's hard to complete your classes.

Sometimes doing the right thing is accomplished by doing the "wrong" thing.
    Safe Harbour laws, trespassing laws, local laws would have an effect on the outcome.
    I would not see it wrecking said students life. That stuff would get plea bargained down do a misdemeanor if anything. At first the school would publicly admonish and threaten the student , but behind closed doors it would change.
    Of course it is a regional thing kind of like a southern accent. If its a liberal state well time a find a new school
    Led By Love Of Country

Well, let's just say he'll be alive to find out! And that is the best thing that could have happened in the scenario described. Whatever happens after that is more desireable than if he hadn't been carrying and fired, period!
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

1 free ride scholarship to a Utah college of choice. JMO
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Such situations show the lunacy of statutory criminality. None of which is based on actual threat to others. The student in the hypothetical scenario was carrying for his own defense was a threat to nobody, of course, other than criminals caught in the act of extreme violence. And yet, the law would have us believe the student was wrong, was bad, must be taken away and taught a lesson, blah blah blah. Horseradish.

And yet, that's what would likely be done, irrespective of his good samaritan action and having done the absolute right thing in stopping the violent crime. Still, given that he wasn't supported by the statutes in his state, he'd be at the mercy of those sworn to uphold the laws in that state. Same with mere "policies," as well. Pretty simple.
    In this scenario the kid is below age to receive a concealed carry license. By the law he is wrong. He is not a lunatic looking for trouble, but he is indeed braking the law. Persons who carry without proper permits, and in doing so breaking the rules that other concealed carriers are supposed to follow(no guns on campus), makes the legit gun owners whom have gotten the proper instruction, training, and licensing look bad.

He does not represent the majority of the persons who carry weapons legaly, but the media & anti-gun people will spin it that way.

_I have always figured that if you are in possession of a CCL, you might wanna do things by the book of the law regarding carrying & usage of your firearm. Otherwise you will be risking loss of your cash(law suit), loss of your freedom(Jail time for several violations), & at the least loss of your Concealed Carry License. I mean the kid was trying to save people, but that does not mean he did not break the law(same as the BG).

_If I'm this kid, and carrying illegally on campus, I am not gonna step to the head of the class to be the hero. Because I know it would b too much of a hassle to get out of the trouble that I would be in afterwards. Even If I got off completely, I might not ever be able to attain a legit concealed carry license once I came of age. The way I handle it is hide. If I have no choice, the gunman has entered the room, and making his way directly at me. If I cant run or jump out a window or something, then & only then would I chose to draw my weapon(revealing I was breaking the law). Now at this point, as the gunman approaches me then I'd gladly pay the above mentioned consequences for saving my own life.

_I will leave the hero stuff up to the better trained individuals such as LEOs, Military serviceman, & Fire Fighters, etc. What happens if the BG disarms the kid, and now has another gun in his possession to cause havoc with? Who knows, maybe the BG is about to run out of ammo, and you just gave him enough to finish the job.

_I am for legal carry of a firearm in all places that I might feel threatened, and unprotected. But until that day arrises, then I must on carry in the legal way, and in the places that I am allowed. Otherwise, I would be adding to all the negative stats that come out about persons who have a legal concealed carry license, but still end up involved in unlawful shootings(Breaking The Law). That would not be good for anyone.

Happy Hollidays everyone! Lets set the good example!
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

VIP Member

Carry on Campus

What is not legal is illegal. It is as simple as that.

I recently tried to help a college staff person I knew. I told him I did not think it was a good idea for him to try to challenge the law. Guns are not permitted on most college campus's and not where he worked. Laws may change here but probably not soon. The legislature recently defeated a bill for concealed carry at the University of Missouri, Columbia.

Any how, this guy who I was acquainted with and who had worked for the college in a senior technical staff position obtained his CCW and decided to challenge the system. He carried an LCP in an ankle holster and later started carrying a .40 S&W.

He started showing it to some of the other staff. Besides carrying onto campus property, illegal by state law, he further committed a type two felony by brandishing just by the act of showing off his new piece to another staff member who latter reported the incident to the campus police.

How stupid could a smart guy be, I thought.

Well, once he was reported, the campus police investigated. He arrogantly let the campus police see his loaded pistol that was in his car at the time.

To make a long story short, he was fired and is now probably flipping burgers if that.

A word to the wise, be careful of what you wish for.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links