Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

This is a discussion on Carrying on Campus - What would happen if.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be the first to point out that the following scenario could actually happen anywhere, but a college campus is my choice for the discussion, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Carrying on Campus - What would happen if....

I'll be the first to point out that the following scenario could actually happen anywhere, but a college campus is my choice for the discussion, due to the extremely leftist and anti-gun policies of most of them.

Anyway, let's say that a student is carrying illegally on this very liberal, anti-gun campus. This student is an otherwise very upright kid who has never been in trouble and usually makes the honor roll. He's just concerned for his safety because there have been threats against him and others.

So then some crazy decides to do a copycat of the Virginia Tech shooter. The crazy has already dropped several people when he corners a pretty large group, let's say 20+ people. They're screaming and panicking and can't go anywhere, but the carrying student is in the group.

So now our hero takes the only logical action; he draws and kills the shooter.

What will most likely be his fate? Looking at the overall situation, I'll further define it:

The student is an upright, solid citizen except for the fact that he's carrying illegally.

The student is too young for a concealed carry permit in his state which, of course, wouldn't be valid on campus anyway.

He shot the perp in front of 19 witnesses in broad daylight.

The intentions of the crazy were very clearly established, since he had already murdered several people. This was very clear cut.

So he has 19 other students whose loved ones are very grateful to him.

So what do you think? Does he go to jail? Is he kicked out of school? If either happens, what will be the response of the families of the students whose lives he saved? How serious will his newly established criminal record be?

Discuss!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    What if grasshoppers had machine guns?

Any of the above could happen.

When you're breaking the law and get caught / outed, regardless of circumstance, the odds are that you will be arrested and charged, what happens @ trial is dependent on too many factors to even list.

How serious will his newly established criminal record be?
    Very.

He is already doing something illegal, he will be charges and arrested for that activity. He will need an expensive lawyer.
    Personally, I'd give him a pat on the back and some extra ammo...but I doubt that the DA would do the same.
    In the end, public pressure will probably be on his side, I'd bet he 'skates', but what he wins in court he'll lose in his bank account.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd say it depends on how the event is spun by the media and local authorities. In some regions the guy would be hailed as a hero, in other regions he would be arrested and charged. If that were to happen, he would immediately need to hire a lawyer/spokesperson to spin the story to his advantage (i.e. get family members of would-be victims on television to show the undying gratitute, etc.). This would put at least some pressure on the local authorities not to pursue charges.

So much these days depends on *perception* rather than reality.

Go to college in a state that allows students and faculty to carry, Idaho is very nice.

Join SCCC and hold meetings and invite the student newspaper reporter.

Discuss the Tueller Drill, it works in reverse too. A dozen unarmed students face a lone crazed gunman. The students charge en mass and overwhelm the killer. Some may get shot, but he can't take his time and kill you all. 21 feet and get the jocks and vets "enlisted" while you hold the SCCC meetings.

Get the parents to withhold alumni funds and season ticket purchases as long as the law is stupid.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Naturally, there are a bazillion possible factors at play here. The students he saved could include the Dean's daughter, the Mayor's son, and the Police Chief's nephew.

I guess you never know. Sorry if this scenario was too ambiguous.

-miklcolt45

He has a right to self-defense and won’t be arrested for shooting the killer. He will be arrested for carrying a concealed gun illegally. He will be expelled for carrying a gun on campus against school rules. While the families of the students he saved will be grateful, or at least should be, all of the above will still happen.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Hero kid gets arrested and hopes for jury nullification or an acceptable offer of a plea deal.

I believe Havegunjoe,has it right,you won't be charged with killing him,but every other illegal thing you did up to that point will get you charges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    With today's political climate, the DA will cave in depending on the state. In MN, in the event that deadly force is used to prevent or stop a felony, the one using DF is immune to criminal or civil charges resulting from the incident. Though the school, will definately throw the hero out. With a good lawyer who is well versed in education law, or a good amount of media coverage on Fox, he'll get back in and get alot hot freshman tail.

The kids' loved ones will actually not be grateful at all; they'll very publically state how "much worse it could've been with a shootout! Someone might've gotten hurt!" while hugging their living and unharmed children.

Meanwhile, had their children been cut down unopposed, they'd be screaming to ban guns.

Now let's add another twist to this.....

In Tennessee, state law says that if a person is illegally carrying a weapon with the "intent to go armed," yet that person uses that weapon in justifiable self defense, then it becomes legal that he was carrying.

No, I'm not kidding. Read that again.

But really, it makes sense. I mean, if the weapon was actually used in justifiable self defense, that's hard to argue with.

Of course, the school's policies would still burn him.

-miklcolt45

I think two lefts don't make right.

No amount of "good samaritan" and previous "good behavior" will be balanced against the fact that the student was carrying an *illegal* weapon (making them, depending on the jurisdiction, a felon).

Don't do this at home, kids.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

As others have previously mentioned some or all of the following may occur:

Yes - Very likely would be arrested/charged for illegally carrying a firearm onto school campus
    Yes - Very likely would be charged for shooting/killing the BG
    Yes - The student would face being expelled from school
    Yes - Family of the students who were saved would be very grateful for this students lifesaving act
    Yes - Would very likely have a very serious felony criminal record the rest of his life

Additionally, the way the story is reported in the local media outlets would have an impact on the interpretation the public would view this shooting incident as well.

Here is a case of both scenarios:

Case 1- If the local media outlets report this as a case of a "student saving his fellow students lives" perspective the public would most likely support the student actions
    Case 2 - If the local media outlets report this as a case of "vigilante justice" and the student was a "gun nut" would make the public (and potential jury members) very distrustful of this students motives

Another aspect to be considered is if this occurred during an election year. At least one "anti-gun" district attorney has made his career on a case like this in the past to get reelected prosecuting this type case.

In my humble opinion!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Well, you never know, but in Alabama he would be elected Governor I would think. I am not kidding. I sometimes wonder how some guys live in some of these places they describe in their postings.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links