Planned hits: How would you react?

This is a discussion on Planned hits: How would you react? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As you all may have read, we have had two armed assaults on LEOs in the past month. The last one occured in a cafe, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned hits: How would you react?

As you all may have read, we have had two armed assaults on LEOs in the past month. The last one occured in a cafe, where people come to have coffee and relax. These attacks were unpredictable, unprovoked and random. It was a nightmare to be honest. Prayers and condolences to the families.

Most of us frequent cafes and restaurants. I am sure this isn't the end of such attacks. How would you react if someone walked into a place where you and maybe your friends/co-workers/family were just hanging out?

Have any of you trained or thought of being in a mindset of such a tense event? Has this recent incident made any of you rethink how and what you carry? Has it convinced you to think of wearing some kind of armor? Has it made you rethink the time you spend in cafes?

I would like to know your honest opinions.

Thanks
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Pay attention to your surroundings and try to have a plan of action. And be quick enough to think on the move when that plan begins to crumble around you.

What ammodex said. I try to be situationaly aware and have an exit plan. I personally am not going to wear armor just to get a cup of coffee. But that's just me.
    Last edited by IntrepidDad; December 5th, 2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

I live near Virginia Tech, and my wife was on the campus that morning. She also worked at the hospital near there when the inmate overpowered an officer in a bathroom and took his weapon, shot and killed a hospital security guard, escaped, and later shot and killed a police officer (I work with his partner's wife). The WalMart that we shop at an estranged boyfriend walked in and shot his former girlfriend (a walmart employee) in the head at point blank range and executed her right in front of the customer service desk at the front of the store. These are real events in places that I and my family frequent. Too close to home to ignore. They have absolutely changed my mindset and approach. I take nothing for granted and am situationally aware. Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility and it has made me more cautious and aware. I'm not paranoid or anything, but I am prudent.
    Last edited by BugDude; December 5th, 2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: clarifying the victims were killed
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Has it convinced you to think of wearing some kind of armor?
    I think body armor is a little over the top.

You're being generous by saying "a little" over the top
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I watch where I/we sit, I watch everyone who comes into a restaurant, I cannot prevent someone from engaging in an attack, but I will be aware of its beginning. While some may be running and screaming, or just sitting and stunned, I will have planned an exit or a response.
    I certainly hope I never have the opportunity to survive in such a scenario.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    In a case like the coffee shop in Lakewood, there would be very little one could do. Its over before it even registers in your head what just happened. The best thing you can do is what the above posters already stated. Pay attention and have an exit strategy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Condition Yellow at all times!!

I mentioned in an earlier post that being aware is a part of cc'ing. If you're not then most of the time you might as well not carry. Get into the forced habit of sitting where you can see who comes in, exit strategy/path, and pay attention to those already there when you walk in. It's easy to do, and a prudent exercise, that no one else will take notice of.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Wearing body armor is not "over the top"--it is a prudent precaution in our very violent world. You don't have to be in a high risk job or be a LEO to benefit from body armor. Stray rounds can come from anywhere, and having some kind of protection is a good thing. Body armor can also help reduce injury from an automobile accident. Since many of the active shooter mass murders have occurred in Gun Free Zones, you cannot depend on stopping an active shooter with your gun while in one--therefore, some form of passive protection is very important to have in a GFZ. Consider the plight of those who work in GFZs, such as military personnel (Ft. Hood, etc.) students of every age, (Columbine CO, Jonesboro AR, Stockton CA, the Amish schoolhouse, Virginia Tech, etc.) teachers and other employees of schools, civil service workers, hospital workers, etc. These people are at great risk when they are at work and school, since they are forbidden to exercise their right to self-defense. For these people especially, wearing body armor makes a lot of sense. But since we do not know the time, place or circumstances that we may be attacked, and since we will be reacting to an attack and will be behind the curve, attempting to "catch up" to what is happening, the potential for us to be shot is great--therefore, having taken some steps ahead of time to reduce the effect of such an attack would certainly be prudent. IMO if it makes sense for LEOs to wear them, then it makes sense for me to wear them. Buying body armor is definitely on my "to do" list!

I have altered my behavior as I have studied concealed carry and the art of self defense with a gun.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

Short and sweet answer to this.

EVERYPLACE I decide to sit down and eat/drink at I see the layout of the place and remember exits and the "best"(thickest/strongest) cover locations closest to my position. May sound a bit weird, but Ive been in the middle of exchanged gunfire before, COVER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Rethink what I carry? NO .40 S&W and a total of 28 rounds of JHPs at all times.
    Body armor? Only if I go to philly.... Seriously though no armor here, never thought about it either. (Although they DO make level II or IIA that can literally be ROLLED up its that thin and flexible)
    Time I spend in those places? I go in get my things and leave, rarely is it that I ever really STAY in a cafe. Restaurants included, Of course I eat there, but I dont spend an hour after my meal sitting and talking
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMRC View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier post that being aware is a part of cc'ing. If you're not then most of the time you might as well not carry. Get into the forced habit of sitting where you can see who comes in, exit strategy/path, and pay attention to those already there when you walk in. It's easy to do, and a prudent exercise, that no one else will take notice of.
    YEP

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I watch where I/we sit, I watch everyone who comes into a restaurant, I cannot prevent someone from engaging in an attack, but I will be aware of its beginning. While some may be running and screaming, or just sitting and stunned, I will have planned an exit or a response.
    I certainly hope I never have the opportunity to survive in such a scenario.

What ret said,,, AS usual!

ya gotta be watching the doors and such;
    ?? Whos wearing a full length duster in the middle of july should be catching your attention, promptly

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Last edited by oneshot; December 5th, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: add wording
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I think in ca you cant wear body armor. They really don't want you to protect yourself
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    its ok to wear body armor but it cant clash with your surgical mask and must not interfere with putting on your chemical suit or the function of your gas mask...and if your hummer isnt already armor plated you are well behind the safety curve...

get with the program people...its armegedon and you need to be prepared for survival at all costs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links