Story from a while back

Story from a while back

This is a discussion on Story from a while back within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I would share this since I am new here. I grew up in Montana (now live in Vermont). I was walking home one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story from a while back

Story from a while back

I thought I would share this since I am new here.

I grew up in Montana (now live in Vermont). I was walking home one night from the bar. I wasn't drinking I was there listening to a band. I decided to take a shortcut through an old baseball field to get back to my house. I was 22 yo at the time and I grew up shooting guns so my hearing is awful, never wore earplugs etc... ( I know I learned my lesson but that was years ago.) Anyway I'm walking through this old baseball field and it's in a pretty bad section of town, lot's of drugs and welfare residents. The field is surrounded by dense woods then opens up to housing, a lot of people sit in those woods and drink smoke etc.. I hear a few sticks crack and I immediately stop and look around and get in that mode. I didn't see anything so I kept walking, next thing I know 2 young guys 18 at the most come running up to me, as I was spinning around they hit me in the side of the head with a rock, I I hit the ground and landed on my side and in one quick motion (which saved my life I'm sure of) I rolled on my back drew .357 revolver and by that time one of the kids was in mid air with a rock in both of his hands trying to slam it ion my face. I rolled to my left as he came down on my leg instead of my face then turned back over and pistol whipped him with the side of my revolver. The other kid was stunned and was just standing there. I got to my feet while the one on the ground was covering his face, pointed my gun at the one standing and told him he had 3 seconds to run as fast as he could. He took off running back into the woods and disappeared. I then turned to the kid on the ground who had a nice cut on the side of his head from my revolver, gave him a lecture about ******* with the wrong person and blah blah blah ( I couldn't call the cops because I didn't have a cell phone at the time and no one else was around at 3am) and told him if he didn't get up and start running as fast as he could things were going to go very badly for him. He got up crying and ran away like a little girl.

When I got home I called my brother in-law who is a sheriff in town and told him all about it. I described the guys and he knew exactly who it was. 3 hours later he found them in the same park (god bless small towns and stupid criminal) smoking pot waiting for there next victim or so they thought. They were arrested and charged and I never saw them again. One of the kids also had multiple warrants for robbery.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Sounds like a Batman movie...Zap, Pow, Crunch...
    You've gone through something that most of us hope we never see, but you are fortunate to be able to tell us about it.

I guess you do appreciate the importance of CCW...well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't you just love the lack of comprhension on a felon's face when he realizes he failed in the victim selection process?

It almost makes it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I... then turned back over and pistol whipped him with the side of my revolver.
    I am sure this all unfolded very quickly, but why didn't you shoot him? Being beaten in the head with a rock meets deadly force criteria for me. Did you make a conscious decision not to shoot or was it more that you were so close to each other you were just engaged in a physical fight?

glad it turned out ok and BG's got caught
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Anyway I'm walking through this old baseball field and it's in a pretty bad section of town, lot's of drugs and welfare residents. The field is surrounded by dense woods then opens up to housing, a lot of people sit in those woods and drink smoke etc..
    Glad you made it out OK. You were lucky though. They could have put you out with the first rock and gotten your gun. Taking that shortcut was really a chance you didn't need to take..but hey...I was 22 once also.

For those you you wondering why the OP didn't fire, I'd say this situation ended as well as it could have given the circumstances.

This could easily been an articulatable justified defense of self, but at what cost? As someone I know says, "There are no winners in a gunfight, only survivors."

The end goal was reached without having to fire a round. That, IMO is a win. I don't much care if the badguy loses his ability to inhale and exhale oxygen, but I do care what it will cost me to initiate his or her ability to cease respirations.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a Batman movie...Zap, Pow, Crunch...
    You've gone through something that most of us hope we never see, but you are fortunate to be able to tell us about it.

I guess you do appreciate the importance of CCW...well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For those you you wondering why the OP didn't fire, I'd say this situation ended as well as it could have given the circumstances.

This could easily been an articulatable justified defense of self, but at what cost? As someone I know says, "There are no winners in a gunfight, only survivors."

The end goal was reached without having to fire a round. That, IMO is a win. I don't much care if the badguy loses his ability to inhale and exhale oxygen, but I do care what it will cost me to initiate his or her ability to cease respirations.

Biker

ret and biker hit the nail on the head ,,

hard to say what each of us would do

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I am sure this all unfolded very quickly, but why didn't you shoot him? Being beaten in the head with a rock meets deadly force criteria for me. Did you make a conscious decision not to shoot or was it more that you were so close to each other you were just engaged in a physical fight?

glad it turned out ok and BG's got caught
    I was too close, and it happened so fast my first reaction/instinct was to hit him as hard as I could and get to my feet before I got kicked by the other guy. If I could have taken a shot I would have without hesitation. Luckily I hit him hard enough to keep him down. When I stood up and told the other kid to run I seriously almost shot him. My hand/finger was trembling so much from adrenaline I almost pulled the trigger involuntarily. The look on his face though made me smile for 2 weeks

I'm not a big guy 5'4 140lb and back then I was probably 125lb. I grew up getting in scuffles though I know how to defend myself and I have had my share of fights and had my ass kicked plenty of times as well. I'll tell you though if I had not of heard them come up behind me when I did the blow from the rock probably would of knocked me out. When I heard them I turned and as I did I saw the one guys had come at my face and I managed to move enough out of the way so that he just nicked my head in stead of crushing it but the momentum was enough to send me off my feet. I'm very happy with the way that night ended especially because I'm hear talking about it. It happened 8 years ago, but I still think about it all the time. I've been beaten up and I've done some ass kicking but I will never forget the look on those guys face when they realised things didn't go as planned.

Biker I'm glad I didn't end up shooting because If I did I would probably still be in court
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

This is one more example where smoking dope makes you fail at every thing you try.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I was too close, and it happened so fast my first reaction/instinct was to hit him as hard as I could
    Sounds good. Glad it turned out as well as it did. Thanks for your reply...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

In a bar?

Humm in CC mode carring in a bar.. Is a no-no,, even if not drinking? Right? Well it is here is Missouri anyway. Glad your okay!!

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    Humm in CC mode carring in a bar.. Is a no-no,, even if not drinking? Right?
    No...carrying concealed in a bar is perfectly fine in some states. Even in liberal la la land Connecticut. Even carrying while intoxicated is only a misdemeanor, provide you aren't doing anything else "bad".

Okay guess thats cool,, I should have looked at the states more carefully,, My Missouri CCW book say not a good thing to do,, have a good one!! still glad everything went good!!

Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    My Missouri CCW book say not a good thing to do
    If that's the case, then it doesn't make it illegal. I don't personally know MO law, however. The CT "book" also says it's not a good idea to carry into a bar, but there's no actual law prohibiting it...

Thank you for sharing, glad you didn't end up with brain damage from being clobbered with a rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links