Defensive Carry banner

I was approached in a parking lot tonight

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  big gary 
#1 ·
I had just gotten in to my car at Walgreens when a truck with two people in it pulled up to me door-to-door and motioned me to roll down my window. When I did, the man asked me where the hospital was. I started to give him directions, but told him to just follow me as I was going that way. He did and all ended well.

OK so that wasn't exciting, but I wanted to remind everyone that not every parking lot incident is dangerous.

I might add that they were an elderly couple and the truck license plate was "NPDRET". There were a lot of crashes on the scanner tonight and they were probably trying to locate an injured family member.

#2 ·
Great point! We should not be scared to help people out that was nice of you. We should help but stay aware.
Not to long ago my truck broke down in the middle of nowhere. An older couple stopped and towed me to their house then loaded the truck on a trailer and drove me 90 miles home.
That reminded me that people can be good so I help but keep SA
Again great point

#3 ·
I was pumping gas last night about midnight, on the way home from work. Had my G19 OC, but under my jacket. The guy on the pump ahead and on the other side says, "I though concealed meant concealed." Talked OC for a second. He got in his truck and his battery was dead. I ended up jumping him off. Wonder how he would have taken the command voice, "Stop, do not come any closer, I have nothing you want!" :comeandgetsome: Yeah he was a bit odd looking and it was late. SA is great, but the guy seemed pretty non threatening and I got the chance to make someone's night a bit better. Life is good, and not everyone is the boogie man. Thanks for the reminder too.

#4 ·
OK so that wasn't exciting, but I wanted to remind everyone that not every parking lot incident is dangerous.
I'm sure everyone knows this, though with the focus of self-defense and firearms usage on the boards, here, it can seem otherwise. (Self-selection for these sorts of scenarios and stories will occur.)

Good point though: each situation is different.

Folks shouldn't be afraid to help, when appropriate. Of course, that doesn't mean circumspection doesn't work. If done well, it can effectively coexist with helping where appropriate. All depends on the person and the "delivery."

#5 ·
Excellent point! :yup:

I had a wise crack but I'll be good tonight! :wink:

#6 ·
About 8 years ago my family and I ate at a restaurant located in the City of Moreno Valley, California. We exited the place and got into our car. When I was about to start the car a black male approached the driver side door and asked me for some help.

I was immediately concerned because he had his right hand behind his back the whole time he was talking to me. I asked him what he wanted and he said that his car broke down and he and his friends needed my help. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up (sixth sense) and I knew something was not right. I asked him where his car was at and he said that it was on the other side of the parking lot.

Not wanting to take my eyes off of him and the fact that my gun was on my right side in the holster blocked by the seatbelt I needed to exit my car. So I played it off like I was stupid and told him that I needed to get out so I could see where he was pointing. I exited my car I walked away from it so I would not put my wife and kids in a cross fire if shooting started.

Once I got to where I wanted to be I simply moved my jacket to the side and placed my hand on my gun. I told the guy to get the **** out of my face and go bother someone else. He looked at me like I was crazy and became angry until he saw my gun and badge. He said sorry and ran away quickly.

Now some of you are probably thinking that what I had done was totally wrong. Well the City of Moreno Valley is full of parolees and gang members where car jackings and robberies occur all the time, day or night. I was not going to be some victim. I had handled too many cases of crimes against people to take any chances. The guy looked like a **** head and a gang banger and I did not care if I offended his ass. Growing up in East Los Angeles, I learned not to trust anybody and I rarely do. Just one of many stories I have to share. So always be aware of where you are at no matter what time of day.

#8 ·
Nobody is saying let your guard down. If your senses tell you something isn't right follow them. Judge the situation and do what you feel is right.

#9 ·
Several years ago I was headed on a 2 hour trip after dark to see family in my 1963 Volkswagen bug when the alternator (12 volt conversion) went out and I was stranded on the side of the interstate. I called a wrecker and it was going to be over an hour before he could get there. I DID NOT have my gun (another mistake I do not make anymore). As I sat there, I had the presence of mind to get out of my car and under the top part of the overpass I was parked under where no one could see me. I also called 911 and gave them my name and mile marker location, year make model and license number of my car so in case I came up missing someone would no where I was and at what time. She sent an officer by to check on me and we sat in his car and talked and listened to the scanner until the wrecker showed up. When traveling, I always keep my eye on the mile markers on the interstate just in case something happens. I also now always have a weapon...just in case. Interestingly enough, no one stopped to help (which would have made me nervous if they had).

#10 ·
As I sat there, I had the presence of mind to get out of my car and under the top part of the overpass I was parked under where no one could see me. I also called 911 and gave them my name and mile marker location, year make model and license number of my car ...
Smart. Better to be out of the way of most crooks. Better to be on the books. Nicely, a local cop might be around and currently available to assist. Better safe than sorry, given what's going down these days.

#12 ·
Back then, I kept a gun in my daily driver truck and only carried on my person occasionally (since I can't carry at work and I work long hours). I didn't drive the antique VW often. I didn't feel like turning around and going back to get it once I got a mile down the road. Now, anytime I'm not in the building at work, I've got my weapon on me...even if I go out to lunch during work hours. I was confronted by a large guy out to lunch one day in the parking lot of the restaurant and all I could think about was my weapon was in my truck about 50 feet from the situation. I handled it the same diplomatic way I would have otherwise, but if it would have gone south, I would have been screwed.

PS. When I say large, I mean large. I'm not small...5'10" and 250# with a 70.5" reach and this guy made me look small. He was at least 6'4" and 350+ if not larger.

#13 ·
Although there are some people who do need assistance (have to be there to discriminate the situation:yup:), I would still not be ready, willing, and able to become 'Mr. Assistance' while out in the public.:nono:

Would you rather have unknowingly 'short suited' someone who really needed help, or become a victim by someone you didn't really think looked like trouble.:blink:

There are 'cons' out there that look perfectly harmless...Ted Bundy types...looking for easy marks.:image035:

I'm not against helping others...I have from time to time...I am still not very trusting of anyone. I guess I've been disappointed too many times by 'seemingly nice' people in my 60+ years:scruntiny:....maybe I'm just a heartless old man:scruntiny:...but I'm still alive.:king:

#14 ·
where are the hands and glances

Cops shout, "SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!"

If you are approached or approach someone for help, show your hands and make eye contact.

If they won't show you their hands or are making their hands be hidden, if they are looking around furtively, there is something afoot.

Help and be helped, but with your face and hands visible.

BTW, the right hand shake greeting was intended to show you were not with knife or sword in hand. Same for the military salute. No General, here is my hand, palm in sight, I'm not going to stab you.

#15 ·
Almost any given security measure can be circumvented if given enough thought. I work at a hospital and we went through the security / risk analysis and security system installation in the ER. With everythig in place and everyone feeling safe and secure, I asked one simple question. "If a man appeared on the monitor at the ambulance entrance doors holding his chest, what would you do?" and every single one of them said, "open the doors and bring him in." I then stated, "if he were a gang member trying to get in and off the guy in our ER that he was just fighting earlier, he just circumvented every security measure that we spent thousands of dollars to install." Unfortunately, regardless of how much training we do, I bet the answer would still be the same. Their minds are focused on health and helping people in emergencies. I usually have to deal with the families, domestic issues, and police when everything converges at the hospital ER. Very different mindset.

#16 ·
Cops in a car chase have run up to a car that TAd to help the suspect get out of a wreck and been shot for their efforts.
But the general public says, " bad cops pointing guns at accident victim" far too often.

#18 ·
we like to go down to the entertainment district here in town. and on a regular basis we will be confronted by beggars, most are drug addicts. and they all have a story. but they do get bold and rob people. sometimes armed, other times outnumbered. but i get approached very often by strangers. lots of people need money or help or want to sell you some junk. the one thing i have found is all will move on as soon as you reject them. if not that is when i would get worried. the bad part is these people will run up to you saying, sir, oh sir. i have to stop, turn around and run them off. be careful out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.