So I'm sitting in my Service Van

This is a discussion on So I'm sitting in my Service Van within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; with my seat belt on. Now normally I won't wear a seat belt, ya I know all that safety stuff. But I look at it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

with my seat belt on. Now normally I won't wear a seat belt, ya I know all that safety stuff. But I look at it as government telling what I can and can't do.

But lately I HAVE been wearing my seat belt and it got me to thinking? If I DID NOT wear one of these: The Holster Vest in oilskin, how would I wear a holster that I could get to my firearm quickly and efficiently while wearing a seat belt??

How would someone wearing a Crossbreed IWB ( I have a Mini-tuck) get to there firearm with a seat belt on? How fast could I release the seat belt AND access my firearm if some nutcase tried to carjack me.

it seems to me the only effective way to carry a firearm in a vehicle with a seat belt on is either in this type of vest or in some kind of shoulder holster? or NOT wear the seat belt?

Thoughts? Ideas, I'm open for suggestions

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Concealed Carry outfitters, but after reviewing the post it does sound a little like a commercial if that is inappropriate feel free to delete or remove the post
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a car gun! :)
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Senior Moderator
    I think the best way is to wear a cross draw.

There is no quick way to draw without the possibilty of fouling it with the seatbelt.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just take mine out most times and tuck it under my leg

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think the best way is to wear a cross draw.

There is no quick way to draw without the possibilty of fouling it with the seatbelt.
    if you were wearing a cross draw,you still have the problem of a coat or shirt over the firearm and you would still have the problem of fouling the draw in the belt?

I might try a horizontal draw shoulder holster, that way I could slide my hand under the seat belt, outer coat, inner shirt and still retrieve and present the firearm in an effective, efficient manor without removing the seat belt.

I guess some experimentation is in order
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    I just take mine out most times and tuck it under my leg
    ya, I have done that while in "the hood", but then your not really "concealed" are you if a cop sees it while your at a traffic light or something, that might present a problem.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Mine sits right in my IWB hoster on my hip and is easy to get to, draw, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Mine sits right in my IWB hoster on my hip and is easy to get to, draw, etc.
    even with the seat belt on????
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

hey guys check this out it can help you. Welcome to CarSeatHolster.com

mine stays IWB, I usually only wear my seatbelt when I'm off roading in the Jeep.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I see several options for holster draw in the car, and the most obvious is to practice with what you are now using. One can learn to use the hands properly when drawing from the strong side (for me, the right). It's a matter of using two hands...one on the belt which moves down to the release, and the other draws the gun following the steering wheel around to the window, etc. There are numerous videos on doing this.
    Then one can use the shoulder holster, the fanny pack, or this... FIST, INC.

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    with my seat belt on. Now normally I won't wear a seat belt, ya I know all that safety stuff. But I look at it as government telling what I can and can't do.
    After 6 years of FD and responding to God knows how many car wrecks, I won't get in a vehicle without putting my seat belt on. They are proven to save lifes.

Talking Reply

In my Toyota Yaris Hatchback I put my S&W 38 Special on the right side between the seat and console in a UM's holster and put my hat over it..Still concealed and easy to get to..Cheers.

I wear mine at around 3 o'clock, concealed, and with my seat belt on. I have practiced with an empty gun at the range when I could and under different training guides. I don't have a problem drawing at all.

Without warning is going to be a hard draw as usually two hands are necessary to draw in a sitting situation concealed with a seatbelt. It isn't the belt that causes the real problem but the trapped garment.

At a stop and no need to steer, use the off weakhand to release the belt. Most righthanded folks should practice running the left hand under the belt that crosses the chest and come down and out to release the buckle and swing the belt out of the way. Most times you don't want to stay seated in the vehicle as you become a easier trapped target. Practice releasing the belt and use this method everyday.

You can then use the stonghand or a combination of the two hands to get you out of the vehicle and clear the weapon. I don't like cross draws, too many people and too much body parts can get covered by the muzzle in a sitting situation.

Try this with an empty gun. Sitting in the seat without the belt on, draw and bring the gun to bear over to the driverside window. Look at how the muzzle travels and more importantly, where it ends up; NEXT to, or very near your face!

Take some time to really consider how you are going to react to a threat and try a walkthru. Hope this helps... And BTW the holster hanging between the knees isn't going to be a legal storage position for most states I believe, just a guess there.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Smile

You can try a car holster such as those sold by Grassbur Leatherworks http://www.grassburr.com/index.asp or try a belly band like the TRUSS system by Spec Gear SpecGear TRUSS Holster Tactical Belly Band Undercover Weapon System Comments . Regular crossdraw and shoulder holsters would work too.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links