Watching Bio channels "I Survived..."

This is a discussion on Watching Bio channels "I Survived..." within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Questioned myself while watching this show. If while driving a backroad, you come upon a woman missing both arms and bleeding heavily, what is the ...

Questioned myself while watching this show. If while driving a backroad, you come upon a woman missing both arms and bleeding heavily, what is the best way to help. While keeping yourself out of as much danger as possible? If possible?

(.....on a side note, I'm not sure if this show is uplifting.....or depressing?)
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Well stay in safe place (such as your vehicle), call 911 and tell them where you're at and tell them to hurry!!! Cuz who knows what her condition will be before the paramedics show up. But does the audience know how she got that way???

I missed that one. How'd she get that way?

I'd have to get out and help...if I was alone, without my family. I've seen too many shows where someone's near death and numerous cars drive by. If they died because I didn't help, that would be hard to live with.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrumpet1 View Post
    Well stay in safe place (such as your vehicle), call 911 and tell them where you're at and tell them to hurry!!! Cuz who knows what her condition will be before the paramedics show up. But does the audience know how she got that way???
    This translates as Office Safety into Concerned Citizen Safety. Protect yourself, call for help, wait for help to arrive before you leave your vehicle. BE ALERT!

No... The idea behind the scenario is that you have no clue what is going on other than she is in immediate need of help.

Other than that...you don't have a clue.
    Last edited by rmxer85; December 7th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    -Mark Twain

Well in that case I would still do the same as I said above. I would check and see if anybody else was around, and scope out the whole area around as best you can from the safety of your vehicle. If your confident that there is no immediate threat, stay in your vehicle, put one in the pipe, put the gun back in your holster so that your ready in case the same guy that did that her comes back. But if the coast is clear I don't think it would hurt to help her stop her bleeding and get her stable till the ambulance and authorities show up.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    do you have to ask andy if you can take the bullet out of your pocket for that one barney?...

sorry...i couldnt help it...

i'm thinking call for assistance, scan for immediate threat and position your vehicle so its accessible to you in a hurry...couldnt just sit there and watch someone die so i'm administering first aid until help arrives or the situation does not allow me to safely...possible animal attack?...crazed lover?...i'm guessing i might even chuck up some lunch on that one before i'm able to help...

interesting scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

interesting scenario...

Yes it is.
    And, it really happened to a 15 yr. old girl.

A man raped her, chopped off both her arms with a hatchet, then threw her off a 30' cliff by the side of a back road. She survived all of that, crawled back up to the road, and tried to get someone to help her. She said that a couple of cars drove right by her and wouldn't stop.

None of the people in the cars could know any more information that what was given in the scenario.

I'm sorry, but a 15yr old girl with both arms freshly cut off would override any of my thoughts of personal safety. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't do everything I could to keep the both of us safe while doing so.
    -Mark Twain

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, were they able to reattach the arms?

I saw part of one episode where a pregnant woman investigated a noise in a vacant apartment and got shot in the belly for her trouble. Baby was shot but in a non vital area; both survived.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Dang, this show is all new to me and frankly I never heard of it until now. Anyway, when I was young and in the public service business, I would have jumped right in, but these days I'm not so sure. It’s not because of my age or even my health. Rather, our culture of steel, shoot and sue, has taken on a whole new meaning. We are all up against the wall at every turn, and what use to be the right thing to do, has become one big gotcha!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Well, she couldn't have posed a real danger, she was unarmed!
    No SERIOUSLY, several years ago I had a woman banging on my door at 2 am. She said she had been raped. I had her step away from the door and do a 360...my GF was already on the phone to the SO, pre-911 call, when I did not dsee a weapon on her I opened my door, Glock 40 in hand, let her come inside and lie face down with her arms extended palms up untill the Deputies arrived. Now I know this sounds cruel but I had no idea what was really going on and was not going to be drawn outside by a ruse. You have to protect yourself to be able to help the victim. No exceptions.

"Well in that case I would still do the same as I said above. I would check and see if anybody else was around, and scope out the whole area around as best you can from the safety of your vehicle. If your confident that there is no immediate threat, stay in your vehicle, put one in the pipe, put the gun back in your holster so that your ready in case the same guy that did that her comes back. But if the coast is clear I don't think it would hurt to help her stop her bleeding and get her stable till the ambulance and authorities show up."

Why is your firearm not already condition 1?? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrumpet1 View Post
    Well in that case I would still do the same as I said above. I would check and see if anybody else was around, and scope out the whole area around as best you can from the safety of your vehicle. If your confident that there is no immediate threat, stay in your vehicle, put one in the pipe, put the gun back in your holster so that your ready in case the same guy that did that her comes back. But if the coast is clear I don't think it would hurt to help her stop her bleeding and get her stable till the ambulance and authorities show up.
    While this topic comes up often (every other week?), I think you need to re-think the condition in which you carry your firearm. Modern firearms are made to carry ready-to-fire.

As to the original scenario, what happens when the girl dies on you, and you are the one with her blood on your hands, literally, and no one to back up your story that you found her wandering the road?

Tough call. BG(s) could well be waiting in the wings...
    I would act, scared to death of the consequences, but unable to look past the need of a defenseless woman.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Well, she couldn't have posed a real danger, she was unarmed!
    That's terrible!

Maybe it's because I'm such a nice guy, but I'm helping her first. Not to say I wouldn't be concerned as to why she so badly injured, but she needs help now and the medics may be too far away. Tourniquet the arms and call 911 as soon as possible.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The tragedy is that the decrepit to society that did this was only given 14 years. After his release from prison, he killed a 31 year old mother. When will the justice system realize that most people are repeat offenders? See the link for the story.

Mary Vincent's Nightmare

Links