I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning - Page 4

I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning

This is a discussion on I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think this was very observant situational awareness. The neighborhood where I walk my two dogs has some out of the way and dark areas. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning

I think this was very observant situational awareness. The neighborhood where I walk my two dogs has some out of the way and dark areas. I've adjusted my route or did a 180 a couple of times because it didn't "feel right"... as recently as yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    Having read this entire 5 page thread, nowhere did I see this mentioned. With your entire arsenal you had with you, (which I find a little disturbing) you need two more pieces of vital armament.
    I would advise everyone to start carrying a pencil and paper with them. Something to jot down facts and details.

I got into the habit of carrying a business card and a pen with me everywhere I go. Usually not my business card either. I have been known to pick up a business card at a display and use the back of it for a note pad. It's tough, small and large enough to mark down descriptions and tag numbers.

Walking away was the smart thing to do. I hate to see intimidation win out. But, in this case, the paper work would have been a hassle, so I'd have let the opportunity to exercise my right to carry pass also. You were certainly prepared for a fight, just not the report.
    You may have saved his life, but do you think you might have jeopardized someone else’s by not having the correct information? Obviously if he was targeting you, he will, most likely, just go find someone else.

Somewhere down the road, an accurate description may just trigger a connection to another crime.
    Good call on the pencil and paper. I could have taken notes on my cell phone and should have done so. Alternatively, I could have photographed the license plate (although the lighting wasn't good).

Please explain how a Glock 26, spare mag, keychain pepper spray and folding knife constitutes a "disturbing" arsenal. I missed that point entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    Good call on the pencil and paper. I could have taken notes on my cell phone and should have done so. Alternatively, I could have photographed the license plate (although the lighting wasn't good).

Please explain how a Glock 26, spare mag, keychain pepper spray and folding knife constitutes a "disturbing" arsenal. I missed that point entirely.
    Don't take it personal. If your wearing a jogging suit when you walk your dog, how do you hold your pants up? :)

Therefore we must assume you are in your daily street clothes.
    To me all your weapons may be signs of slight paranoia. But, I might feel the same way in your neighborhood.
    All that, and spare magazine and folding knife just to walk the dog. What do I know? But given your recent experience, it may not be enough in the future.

I have never felt the need to carry a spare magazine on my person, unless I know I'm headed into a high crime area.

Glad you used your head cause it certainly sounds like your Spidey Senses were right on target.

I do good to see the #'s on my phone, so texting quick notes for me takes too long. My pencil has an automatic Font size on it. And it's transferrable. No batteries required!

You made the correct call it sounds on this one..........nice job.

Curt, thanks for the explanation - now I understand your perspective.

I always carry a spare mag for several reasons, but the primary reason is that mags can jam or fail. Pulling your gun from cover would be a bad time for the mag baseplate to fail.

Also, the NYPD studied officer involved shootings from 1990 to 2000 and found that only 15% of rounds fired hit their target. While I'd like to think I'm a decent shot and practice a lot more often than some officers, I still use the 15% as a baseline. In other words, out of 23 rounds I can expect an average of 3 or 4 rounds on target in a stressfire situation. With a 9mm, 3 or 4 rounds to center of mass may not be sufficient.

I come from a law enforcement family and am an NRA certified pistol instructor. Jacksonville, where I live, was the homicide capitol of FL until 2008 or 2009. Crime happens even in the best neighborhoods down here.

With a 9mm, 3 or 4 rounds to center of mass may not be sufficient.
    Hm, not wanting this to devolve into a caliber discussion, and I'm no expert but I think 2 between the shirt pockets with just about any round of quality ammo should stop an attack. But then again there's lots of anecdotal evidence to support both sides of the argument.

Better safe than sorry though- if he stays erect long enough to absorb 4 rounds center mass, I'd be thinking about a head shot and/or hauling a$$; he's probably wearing a vest (or you're in a George Romero movie, and you know what happens in those when you waste too much ammo on torso hits!!).

Crime happens even in the best neighborhoods down here.
    Everywhere, crime happens everywhere. Paranoid for being well-armed, with multiple levels of backup? I don't think so. In my book, paranoid equals longevity.

I've been training in martial arts for 25+ years; every black belt I know carries at least one firearm as well as a knife, and views their (considerable by most measures) hand-to-hand skills as a last-resort backup. It also gives great situational awareness training and the "it's smarter to run away" attitude.

A favorite instructor told me "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't prepare correctly."
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

So, was I paranoid or did I exhibit cautious, good judgement?
    He drive around several times, strangely. He seemingly focused on you. The vehicle he was driving had some notable characteristics; he was dressed a certain way, similar to how many thugs are currently dressed these days; was paying an inordinate amount of attention to you (giving you "stink eye," as you called it).

Sure, being minimally aware and prepared for the worst is sane and rational.

The term "paranoia" is what the unwashed used to indicate someone who exhibits care and concern for NO reason whatsoever. Doesn't apply, when there is due cause.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post

every black belt I know carries at least one firearm as well as a knife, and views their (considerable by most measures) hand-to-hand skills as a last-resort backup.
    Quoting myself again...lol.

Just to clarify: this came out sounding backwards. In terms of escalation of force, of course, it would go: run away, hand-to-hand, knife, then gun. I just meant that the black belts, most of them anyway, recognize their unarmed skills are just another tool, and certainly not the most powerful one in their arsenal. The most powerful weapon is between the ears.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I doubt you were just being paranoid. Sounds like you were scouted and selected as a target.

Sounds like you did a great job of avoiding a mugging to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links