I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning

This is a discussion on I Think Someone Tried to Mug Me This Morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Score it "situational awareness 1, bad guys 0". I was taking the dog for her morning walk. I typically walk down a busy road to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Score it "situational awareness 1, bad guys 0".

I was taking the dog for her morning walk. I typically walk down a busy road to a county park about 3/4 of a mile away. We walk down a deserted road and take the back entrance into the park, then loop around and come home.

This morning I noticed a vehicle driving towards me on the busy road, at roughly 2x the speed limit. The driver was hauling a**. I didn't think anything of it, until Zoey and I turn down the deserted road that leads into the county park. Guess who turns in behind me? Mr. Suspicious Vehicle.

The car drives by me SLOWLY, doing an assessment. The window isn't open much, and I see that the driver is a white male, early 20s, wearing a hoodie (up, of course). As he drives by me I notice that the rear liftgate lock was punched - possibly indicating a stolen vehicle. He proceeds to drive to the end of the road, turn around and park.

Now I have two options: I can assume I'm being paranoid and head towards the back gate as usual, or I can assume the guy is up to no good and turn around. It didn't FEEL right, so I opted to turn around and head back to the busy road. Sure enough, before I got there the guy drove past again, giving me the stink eye, before he stood on the gas and accelerated into traffic.

Of course I got the plate and a description of the vehicle. Of course I phoned it in to the police non-emergency number.

So, was I paranoid or did I exhibit cautious, good judgement? Your call.

PS - At the time I was armed with a 9mm Glock 26, loaded with 12 rounds of hollowpoint ammo. I had a spare mag in my left pocket, loaded with 11 rounds of the same. I was also carrying pepper spray and a folding knife on my strong side. Prepared or not, it's always best to walk away from trouble.
    Last edited by UpOn2Wheels; December 7th, 2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Language

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sounds like a prudent move to me...bad guy or not there is little sense in walking into a possible situation and you managed to avaoid the situation altogether without even a verbal or close encounter...you may have been a target or the driver may have been pissed that he didnt get the chance to expose himself to you...you never know what youre gonna run into in public parks...

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Good judgment.

Administrator
    Remember...it's pre-Christmas and some low-life scumbag types DO need extra money to buy that gift for their lovely crackhead drug-addicted girlfriends.

Be extra cautious before and during the Christmas season because robbery, mugging, pick-pocketing, & purse snatching type crimes escalate.

You certainly did the wise thing, whether or not the driver was a BG.
    Why put oneself into a dangerous situation?

Good job.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    sounds like good judgment to me.

QKShooter is right, they all pick up. Around here (Utah), vehicle burglaries also skyrocket. Lots of identity theft this time of year. Keep your valuables out of your vehicles when you're not in them!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I think you did the smart thing. That story made my spider sense tingle.

So the JSO sent an officer out to write it up. I (unfortunately) didn't get the plate correct, so here's another lesson learned: write it down as soon as you can. Don't trust your ability to memorize an alph-numeric string.

JSO also told me that there's been a string of break-ins and home invasions in our area. Time to ramp up the preparedness just a bit.

Good call, if it doesn't feel right then follow your instincts. Worst case, you cut your walk short. If you ignored your initial feelings then, well you know...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Based on your description I have no doubt you were being targeted. That feeling that came over you was your sixth sense of self-preservation and we all have it: females more than men. As a former patient at Walter Reed for extended periods, I was studied by some high-speed neurologists and I learned a few things as they discussed this topic. This combined with your SA also helped.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Based on your description I have no doubt you were being targeted. That feeling that came over you was your sixth sense of self-preservation and we all have it: females more than men. As a patient at Walter Reed for extended periods, I was studied by some high-speed neurologists and I learned a few things as they discussed this topic. This combined with your SA also helped.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; December 7th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    Sure enough, before I got there the guy drove past again, giving me the stink eye, before he stood on the gas and accelerated into traffic.
    How dare you be aware and thwart his evil deeds.

BGs amaze me. They think it is their right to steal from you and get pissed when you resist.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    Prepared or not, it's always best to walk away from trouble.
    That truly is the key to the whole thing. Do you really want to go through all the hassle of dealing with the trouble? Best to avoid it all together.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Good job, hopefully the police can catch up to him before he hurts someone.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I LIKE your kind of paranoia.

pax
    Sounds like an intelligent move to me!

A few years back, I had something similar happen on a dirt logging road where I used to walk for exercise. Ended up turning off the road and hiking straight over the ridge -- without an established trail -- just to avoid the choke point between me and my car. Ticked me off no end to realize that simply because I (small female) was alone and looked helpless, I'd have to use my defensive firearm in a situation where someone who looked more capable would not be targeted as prey in the first place. Since I'd rather not have to shoot someone unless there were truly no other alternatives, I decided I'd never walk that road again without a companion. Funny; I used to avoid such situations because I was afraid of being injured or killed. Now I avoid them out of fear of injuring or killing someone else. Either way, I'm still unable to walk alone.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links