Bulletproof glass?

This is a discussion on Bulletproof glass? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The carjacking thread made me think of this (and no, I haven't "seen too many movies"). Is it extremely difficult and/or expensive to have your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof glass?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Bulletproof glass?

The carjacking thread made me think of this (and no, I haven't "seen too many movies").

Is it extremely difficult and/or expensive to have your vehicle equipped with bulletproof glass? If you had that, then you could just punch the gas pedal to escape a carjacking attempt and not have to worry (as much) about being shot. Granted, the public at large probably wouldn't be all that interested, but defensive-minded people would be.

Any of you have experience with this concept?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    What about the rest of the car being relatively 'not bulletproof'? Like door panels?

Here's some great info on how "bulletproof" an automobile is:
    The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I have learned a lot from Box O Truth it is a real good site with down to earth info.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The problem may be added weight. Leads to different suspension, different brakes, sluggish acceleration, and windows that will not roll down. There may be information in the public domain about this. It is hard to know where to stop. Solid tires? Diesel? Ceiling and floor? etc

I have talked to people(usually the neighborhood King Pin type) who have gotten bullet prof doors. Bullet proofing doors alone adds substantial amt of weight to a vehicle. A lot of reinforcing has to be done. There are lots of things that are affected by the added weight of Doors or Windows, etc. This is why you dont find the average person doing it. Especially since most people will eventually trade in the vehicle.

__I say if you are buying a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach...spring for thr BP Doors & Windows. These cars are keepers. If you are likely to trade the vehicle in later, or the price of the work cost more than the car is worth(or will be worth in a few years) then pass on it.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

I can't remember the name off hand but there's a place here in NoVA that does private and contracted government armoring. It's expensive though and that's just the upfront cost. By the time you add up the added weight, stronger parts (springs, shocks, possibly bigger engine to handle pulling the extra weight), etc... You're looking at substantial cost. But if you've got the cash and it's worth it to you, they are out there.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If/when needing a car with bulletproof glass, one needs to consider moving to a new location, or taking a different route on your travels.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It depends on what you want to armor with...

Kevlar and textiles similar to kevlar are much lighter than steel... glass you would have to decide what you wanted to protect against... small caliber handgun... large caliber handgun... rifle...

Is it just enough to do the driver's door and window or do you want all windows and doors made bullet resistant?

It's definitely doable and there are companies that will meet your needs but there are inconveniences that come along with the protection...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ive got some land deep in the oregon wilderness if someone is interested...build yourself a nice little shack in the woods...set up trip lines and perimeter alarms...get yourself some nice camo cargo pants and a good tactical vest...

there is a tv show called Family Armor. They built Armored vehicles in Texas.

VIP Member
    I'm only willing to go so far with this protecting my life stuff. Having a a few guns and lowering my exposure seems to be reasonable. I know of guy here in my town that wears a standard issue police vest. No, he isn't in any occupation that would typically call for it. It just makes him feel safer and looks a few pounds heavier.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The problem may be added weight. Leads to different suspension, different brakes, sluggish acceleration, and windows that will not roll down. There may be information in the public domain about this. It is hard to know where to stop. Solid tires? Diesel? Ceiling and floor? etc
    Another problem is the glass will not allow the windows to roll down so now you have to go into McDonalds instead of using the drive thru. Just exposes you to a different threat.

I read an article back in the 80's about bullet proof cars used overseas. They said part of the trick is to make sure the car does not look like it has been altered. If the BG's know the car of their target (oil exec's and diplomats in this case) was bullet proof, they would just up grade their weaponry to RPG or bazooka.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    ive got some land deep in the oregon wilderness if someone is interested...build yourself a nice little shack in the woods...set up trip lines and perimeter alarms...get yourself some nice camo cargo pants and a good tactical vest...
    Arnold did that in "Commando" and it didn't work.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Not being able to roll down the car windows can create another hazard,PPG can be deadly,PPG can happen with no warning.Passengers Passing Gas can be discovered by snickering following the attack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links