A sheepdog in action

A sheepdog in action

This is a discussion on A sheepdog in action within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A great story I ran across today on a blog I follow: Kaplan Career Institute teacher pulls a gun to stop an attack outside the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sheepdog in action

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

A sheepdog in action

A great story I ran across today on a blog I follow:

Kaplan Career Institute teacher pulls a gun to stop an attack outside the school | Breaking Midstate News with The Patriot-News -

Private individual uses a firearm (without pulling the trigger...) to stop an aggravated assault that would otherwise have been fatal. THIS is why I carry; THIS is what being a sheepdog is all about IMO.

Merry Christmas one and all.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Well it sounds like he acted responsibly. He had a cool and level head on him. Good job on saving a life. +1 for the good guys.

Wow a gun on campus stopping an attack, and it made into a news paper story!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yeah! Where was someone like this when the kid in Chicago was getting beat to death in the street? Everyone had a cell phone, but no one called 911. They only took pictures! AN how about the gang rape in CA? Same thing. Lots of cells but no one stepped up and protected the victim.

No one respects the sheepdog until they need one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thumbs up

He did good. Nice to see that.

As for the sheepdog thing, I think that fits cops better since they work for the government that is farming us.

I like to think of CCW holders more as rams. Wolves need to watch out for the horns.

As for the sheepdog thing, I think that fits cops better since they work for the government that is farming us.
    Bingo sheepdogs help the rancher enslave the sheep. They aren't the guardians of the flock they're the jailers. You want to be a sheepdog knock yourself out

Bingo sheepdogs help the rancher enslave the sheep. They aren't the guardians of the flock they're the jailers. You want to be a sheepdog knock yourself out
    Ain't a cop, don't wanna be a cop, don't pretend to be a cop. Sheepdog? Hmmm. I consider myself a protector of my family, loved ones and self. Other than that, a good witness. If you carry a gun to protect others (except for your family and self) you ought to consider being a LEO.

YMMV
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Kaplan Career Institute teacher pulls a gun to stop an attack outside the school
    By BARBARA MILLER, The Patriot-News
    December 08, 2009, 8:05PM

Criminal justice instructor Michael Minto was leaving the Kaplan Career Institute in Swatara Township on Monday night when he spotted a man being stabbed, police said.

Minto pulled his gun and ordered the attacker to drop his knife, police said. The attacker fled, and authorities said Minto’s actions likely saved the life of Dillon Mitchell, 30, of Harrisburg.

If Minto had not intervened, “We might be talking about someone who died,” said Deputy Swatara Township Police Chief Jason D. Umberger. “There are not many citizens out there that would have the courage to take that action.”

Police were looking on Tuesday night for Kevin Forde, 29, of North Sixth Street, Harrisburg in connection with the attack. Forde is charged with attempted homicide and aggravated assault.

Umberger said Mitchell left the 5650 Derry St. school around 10:30 p.m. with Ayanna Carter, who is Forde’s wife. Forde approached them and an argument started, leading to the stabbing, Umberger said.

After Minto confronted Forde, he and Carter got in Carter’s car and drove off, Umberger said. Carter later returned to the school alone to retrieve Forde’s cell phone and told officers that she dropped her husband at 13th and Sycamore streets, police said.

Carter has not been charged in the incident, police said.

Mitchell was stabbed twice in the abdomen, four times in the shoulder area of his back, once in the right shoulder and in an undetermined location, police said. He was released after treatment at Community General Osteopathic Hospital, Umberger said.

He said he didn’t know what sparked the argument or whether Mitchell, Forde or Carter are students at the school.

The knife used in the stabbing had a 3- to 4-inch blade and was recovered, police said.

Umberger said Forde was on probation or parole and has a history of assault and terroristic threat charges.

“We would like him to turn himself in,” Umberger said, adding that police were following up on leads Tuesday.

Kaplan, formerly Thompson Institute, offers programs in criminal justice, allied health, digital arts and information technology.

A Kaplan Career Institute spokesman said the institute is working with police on the case.
    Glad Minto came along.

Mitchell needs to learn the rule of Stupids...and dating another man's wife seems like it would be included in there.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Ain't a cop, don't wanna be a cop, don't pretend to be a cop. Sheepdog? Hmmm. I consider myself a protector of my family, loved ones and self. Other than that, a good witness. If you carry a gun to protect others (except for your family and self) you ought to consider being a LEO.

YMMV
    Well maybe one day when one of your family members is getting stabbed shot or raped someone can return the favor and be a good witness instead of doing something productive like ...I don't know saving their life maybe.

VIP Member
    Good reaction for the teacher...He probably saved the guys life...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Well maybe one day when one of your family members is getting stabbed shot or raped someone can return the favor and be a good witness instead of doing something productive like ...I don't know saving their life maybe.
    Or my wife could shoot back on her own

+1000 for the good guys! Glad to see news like this getting good press.

BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

If someone is in a life threatening situation, I would most likely step in. But I sure as hell don't and won't go looking for trouble. That's not why I carry a weapon. If that's the reason you carry, more power to you. Quite frankly, it would take a lot for me to get involved to the extent of using my firearm. There are other ways of stopping violent assaults against others. The problem is those who seem to think that a gun makes them a protector of those who choose not to carry.

As for your statement, your sarcasm is noted and ignored. I am responsible for the safety of my family, and my family members share in that responsibility. I have absolutely no expectations of anyone stepping in and intervening should violence be visited upon my family. That's why I carry a weapon -
    I don't know saving their life maybe.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Divebum,

You say you're responsible for your family. Are you always with your family? I don't think so. He did the right thing, and you would have done the same thing. Admit it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links