Event security and your kids

This is a discussion on Event security and your kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Information kept to yourself is worthless.- George...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Event security and your kids

Information kept to yourself is worthless.- George

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Everything doesn't have to have a well laid out tactical plan.
    I think the level of preparedness was very much in line with the situation. Good job mercop!
    You made sure your charges had fun and got home safely. The little bit of planning and lecturing were well with in what any teenager is going to expect for the privalge of attending such an event. I hope they learned some valuable SA lessons and appreciate that you were there for them. Knowing someone cares about you may be one of the most important factors that shapes how these teens grow up.

As usual, an excellent post by Mercop. Thanks! But may I also add something to that important kid list at the bottom?

There are those that for whatever reason, be it emergency planning or just plain overly nice, folks give cell phones to their children. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE! Make sure those phones have an ICE contact programmed. Many first responders look for this contact if a phone is found during an emergency.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Concert security can be a joke...I saw Metallica and AC/DC last year, and at AC/DC they barely glanced in my purse, and the staff just had me open my coat. I could have easily concealed multiple weapons - a pistol or a knife in a purse pocket, the same behind my back since they didn't ask me to actually remove my coat and only saw the front half. At Metallica, if I remember correctly, they did have us take off coats, and they did have wands for suspicious cases, but they didn't look through my purse thoroughly at all, and since their wanding was totally subjective...I could have probably gotten through with a concealed pistol or knife.

Their focus seemed to be more on (especially at Metallica) making sure no digital cameras got through.

As far as young girls at concerts...man, my mother insisted she attend with my friends and I when we were 13 and going to see the hot boy band at the time. I wasn't too upset over it, and now, looking back...parents definitely need to be there. There are too many ways for bad things to happen to teenage girls at big events like that.

Your suggestions are great. The buddy system is especially important, I think.

VIP Member

Comment on buddy system for concerts and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy08 View Post
    Concert security can be a joke...I saw Metallica and AC/DC last year, and at AC/DC they barely glanced in my purse, and the staff just had me open my coat. I could have easily concealed multiple weapons

Their focus seemed to be more on (especially at Metallica) making sure no digital cameras got through.

As far as young girls at concerts.... There are too many ways for bad things to happen to teenage girls at big events like that.

Your suggestions are great. The buddy system is especially important, I think.
    Not only is the buddy system important, but as a parent you need to talk to your kid about the fact that it is not infallible, and that the buddy system can break-down. Inform them how to handle a break-down in the buddy system.

Drawing on the parallel with scuba diving, stuff happens, and buddies separate. There need to be plans for this eventuality. Sometimes, a buddy turns out to be irresponsible and someone you need to get away from. This too needs to be planned for.

Both buddy's need to be on the same page with regard to what constitutes a time to git, a time to hide, a time to call parents, a time to call police, etc. Secret "let's git" words need to be arranged.

Just putting two teens together (when neither is quite aware of how to protect themselves) doesn't accomplish what you might want.

There needs to be a plan (s) for how to handle situations, effectively instructed to both buds. There needs to be pre-arranged parental guided and approved plans for when the buddy system breaks down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links