I got robbed last night! - Page 2

I got robbed last night!

This is a discussion on I got robbed last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Snowman, are you sure you're not getting 'punked'. Ski's get stolen right before Xmas? While you are at dinner? And there the only thing stolen?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got robbed last night!

Snowman, are you sure you're not getting 'punked'.

Ski's get stolen right before Xmas? While you are at dinner?

And there the only thing stolen?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crf3973
    The title threw me off... were you robbed or was your car burglarized?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Me too. The car was definitely burgled......
    Actually it's neither. It's considered larceny. In this case grand larceny because of the value of the property.

Terminology aside, it doesn't lessen the impact of the crime. Hope you can recover from it.

Well, You have every legal right to confront them and tell them to stop stealing from you. if they make an awkward move, you then can say " I felt my life was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm".

I can't see any state law saying you can't ask someone to STOP from damaging your property or telling them to stop from stealing from you.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Thanks for all the great advice. Robbed, burgled, larceny...It still sucks.

I have checked with all of the neighbors and nobody saw anything. This is NOT uncommon where I live....a SKI RESORT. So there are many thieves here that do in fact target just skis & snowboards. Unfortunately no businesses nearby as I live in a neighborhood with nice single family homes....nobody runs cameras around either. This is a different world I live in....I deal with $1M - $20M homes daily...most of those don't even have security systems. So most residents truly do have a false sense of security.

It was only my favorite pair of skis...probably one of the more expensive pairs. I do have 2 other pairs... At least they didn't take my powder skis...2 feet of fresh this morning.

I hope I'm getting punk'd...But it seems unlikely that my family would steal my skis to have them tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice. Robbed, burgled, larceny...It still sucks.

I have checked with all of the neighbors and nobody saw anything. This is NOT uncommon where I live....a SKI RESORT. So there are many thieves here that do in fact target just skis & snowboards. Unfortunately no businesses nearby as I live in a neighborhood with nice single family homes....nobody runs cameras around either. This is a different world I live in....I deal with $1M - $20M homes daily...most of those don't even have security systems. So most residents truly do have a false sense of security.

It was only my favorite pair of skis...probably one of the more expensive pairs. I do have 2 other pairs... At least they didn't take my powder skis...2 feet of fresh this morning.

I hope I'm getting punk'd...But it seems unlikely that my family would steal my skis to have them tuned.
    Check the Pawn shops.....most thieves steal things for quick cash...pawn shop is where they usually go.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    I agree, but you can't use deadly force to protect property, just life.
    I think in TX you could.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Actually it's neither. It's considered larceny. In this case grand larceny because of the value of the property.
    In TX, it's considered 'burglary to a motor vehicle'. There is no offense of larceny... I guess it matters where you are...

Now, back to the OP. I would definitely confront the BG in either situation... but that's just me... If he's on my property, the first thing he's going to see is the business end of my CCW. How he reacts, will determine what happens from there...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hope the jerk who stole your skis breaks a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post

I have checked with all of the neighbors and nobody saw anything. This is NOT uncommon where I live....a SKI RESORT.
    Well if you're at a ski resort, it's most likely someone is going to try them out there. I'd buy myself a lift ticket, walk over to the line and wait for the moron with my skis to come by.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Well, I suppose its much better to be burglarized than robbed. As for intervention if you catch someone in the commission, well that’s a tough call. It’s easy to think of what we would do, but until it happens, I have no idea. You may scare off the perpetrator or force the person and yourself into a deadly conflict. If the person doesn’t back down, you may have to shoot and there goes the neighborhood.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Are you sure? Larceny doesn't involve unlawful entry into a structure to commit the crime. Burglary does. At least in the several states in which I've lived.

+1 to checking the pawn shops. Here's to hoping that you recover your property.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Well if you're at a ski resort, it's most likely someone is going to try them out there. I'd buy myself a lift ticket, walk over to the line and wait for the moron with my skis to come by.
    Thanks...but there are 3 resorts within 5 minutes (10,000 acres) and 7 (another 30,000 acres) more within an hour. I have a season pass and funny enough..my first chair ride today was with a guy who had a similar setup...not mine though. I'm trying to track down my serial #'s to help the sherriff. Any pawn shop in northern UT should be checking the serial #'s...according to the deputy.

In Texas at night one can use deadly force to prevent theft of property.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Update... So I just finished up my conversation with my Home Owners Insurance (USAA). I have a $1,000 deductible...replacement is $1,400. IF I file a claim I get roughly the difference..$400. The insurance company tells me that they are now required to tell me that if I file a claim they can (probably will) increase my premium at renewal time. I'm guessing that the possible premium increase could easily outweigh the $400 I would get after the claim. So by filing a claim I could potentially cost myself more than they reimbursed me for over the following year through premium increases. BTW I know they will increase it....my son was born 7 weeks early this past year and after $80K in NICU bills to my health provider (different insurance) they hiked my premium up significantly.

I guess I just have to eat this one.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sorry you have been victimized.

If I happened to come across someone in the scenarios you outlined, I would not confront the BG. I do not recommend risking one's life to defend property. I have come across more than enough examples in the news (and here on DC) where leaving your home and confronting burglars has lead to injury, death, legal trouble, or peronal guilt from killing someone.

Since they were stolen out of your vehicle. What about your car insurance policy? Do you have theft coverage?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links