I got robbed last night!

This is a discussion on I got robbed last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nutz...yes, but the personal property portion is limited to $250. After much thought and consideration of everyone's commments I've come to the following conclusion: I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got robbed last night!

Nutz...yes, but the personal property portion is limited to $250. After much thought and consideration of everyone's commments I've come to the following conclusion:

I would not confront someone in my driveway. I don't want to risk my life for skis or even the car. I don't want to potentially escalate a situation because I chose to defend an object that can be replaced (one day). I think there is just too much of a possibility that he would make a bad choice that would force me to make a choice that could end his life. No interest in killing someone over property. On that note...same BG comes into my home...game over BG.

In any other year I could just buy another pair and not blink an eye. This year is not that year.

2. Remove Ads

Due to a society that allows drug users to run rampant, we must not allow anything of value to be in sight in a vehicle. Assume some scum bag will steal it.
    I once had a car window broken out so the thief could steal $.75 in change off my console. Did I want to kill him? No. Would I care if someone else killed him? No.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i would have a real hard time not excersizing a *** are you doing?...or can i help you with something?...or the police are on their way so i would suggest leaving now?...in a relatively stern voice if someone is stealing from me...car...garage...home...whatever...i can tell you my firearm would be drawn and low ready...possibly out of sight but ready...the perp has 2 choices...walk away or confront...confronting is a threat...i dont want it but believe being prepared for it is a wise choice...

i know property can be replaced but it goes deeper than that...you can recover from a beating also...but i wouldnt recommend allowing someone to do it because you knew they werent going to kill you...i dont think i could stand by and watch someone steal from me without intervening to stop the crime...ive had a vehicle stolen...a boat ransacked and equipment stolen from it and home goods stolen...the financial burden and inconvenience will not allow me to just let it happen if i have the means to stop it...

i am not talking about charging in and threatening the thief...i'm talking about a warning and being prepared if a threat arises...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Actually it's neither. It's considered larceny. In this case grand larceny because of the value of the property.

Terminology aside, it doesn't lessen the impact of the crime. Hope you can recover from it.
    Actually there is no "larceny" statute in Utah. It would be vehicle burglary and theft.

To the OP, sorry about your skis. Did you file a police report? That should be the first thing you do. Perhaps you'll find them at a pawn shop, or on a "for sale" bulletin board at a ski shop.

Good luck, and stay safe.....The powder's great this year!

Sigmanluke
    Last edited by sigmanluke; December 15th, 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Are you sure? Larceny doesn't involve unlawful entry into a structure to commit the crime. Burglary does. At least in the several states in which I've lived....
    Each state could have a different definition. Illegal taking from a structure is usually burglary, the illegal taking from a vehicle is usually larceny. Check your state's laws for the correct definition for where you live.

Please be careful when using the term "robbery," which implies violence and the use of force, use of a weapon. If a dispatcher broadcasts a robbery in progress, it implies the criminal is armed...and the results can be devastating for both the reporting party and the responding police officer...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

To all who have diligently pointed out my mistake of using the word "robbed"...robbery...etc. I'M SORRY for using the incorrect term and wasting your time FYI>>>I DID NOT use that term when I called dispatch to file a report...I simply told them what happened. Next time I will try to calm the **** down before I share anything with you. Get over it and provide me with some honest feedback to the questions I asked in the OP like the rest have done. I simply felt "robbed" so that's what I chose.

SigmanLuke....yes, powder at DV has been great the past few days. At least they didn't steal "rob " my powder skis. Hope you have made it out to ski this week. Report filed with sheriff and been watching the various shops and online sources.

I did not mean to offend you and I apologize if it appeared that I was lecturing, which I really wasn't. I was just making a statement and I should have phrased it differently perhaps [or kept my mouth shut]. I, too, have had things stolen from my home during a break-in, and from my car; one thief smashed my car window, and I was enraged, so I can empathize with your feelings - and I'm glad that I didn't get to confront the thief, because I'm not quite sure what I would have done - or perhaps I am sure what I would have done...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    To all who have diligently pointed out my mistake of using the word "robbed"...robbery...etc. I'M SORRY for using the incorrect term and wasting your time FYI>>>I DID NOT use that term when I called dispatch to file a report...I simply told them what happened. Next time I will try to calm the **** down before I share anything with you. Get over it and provide me with some honest feedback to the questions I asked in the OP like the rest have done. I simply felt "robbed" so that's what I chose....
    "Get over it". Hmm, okay. We'll get over it, hope you do too. You posted on a public forum. So be prepared to accept whatever comes your way, including the proper terminology for what occurred. This is a learning process for all involved, including you.

Yes, you do feel "robbed." You feel violated, you feel an intrusion into your private life. All of those emotions come into play.

I'm not offended....and I'm over it. I accept AND appreciate all of your input. On topic or not. The "get over it" comment was simply an attempt to try to get back to my questions and not have to "learn" about terminology more than 3 times. Don't beat a dead horse....I got it. Many thanks.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon the state you live in...first and foremost, but then not many people are having skis stolen in TX.

There is certainly nothing illegal about going out to one's car, and upon seeing someone in your vehicle...ordering them to cease and desist from taking your stuff. If they run away, great, but if they threaten you, then you must decide if it is a serious threat...

I have every legal right to be in my home, in my vehicle, and on my property here in FL...if you threaten me is such places, I have no duty to retreat...I'm just sayin'..
    Excellent reply sir.

Two things I love about Florida:

1. Great winter wx!

2. Castle Doctrine! DO NOT commit a felony on my property. The law is on my side as it should be in all 50 states!

Two things I hate about Florida:

1. Terrible/obnoxious drivers and road rage.

2. Summers. A pool makes all the difference in the world to change that!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Update... So I just finished up my conversation with my Home Owners Insurance (USAA). I have a $1,000 deductible...replacement is $1,400. IF I file a claim I get roughly the difference..$400. The insurance company tells me that they are now required to tell me that if I file a claim they can (probably will) increase my premium at renewal time. I'm guessing that the possible premium increase could easily outweigh the $400 I would get after the claim. So by filing a claim I could potentially cost myself more than they reimbursed me for over the following year through premium increases. BTW I know they will increase it....my son was born 7 weeks early this past year and after $80K in NICU bills to my health provider (different insurance) they hiked my premium up significantly.

I guess I just have to eat this one.
    Welcome to dealing with insurance, and let this be a lesson to everyone who "thinks" that the insurance will just "replace" an item. Fantasy land.

The only time insurance is in your favor is in a MAJOR loss, and even then you will be lucky to get 60%, and you will ultimately end up paying for it in the long run (increased rates).

Nutz...yes, but the personal property portion is limited to $250. After much thought and consideration of everyone's commments I've come to the following conclusion:

I would not confront someone in my driveway. I don't want to risk my life for skis or even the car. I don't want to potentially escalate a situation because I chose to defend an object that can be replaced (one day). I think there is just too much of a possibility that he would make a bad choice that would force me to make a choice that could end his life. No interest in killing someone over property. On that note...same BG comes into my home...game over BG...
    Not flaming you, just sayin'

It still amazes me that a majority of people on this forum instantly jump to "Lethal Force" when the discussion of defending ones property comes up. We have the right (and I dare say duty) to defend our property! This does not, by any stretch of the imagination. mean using lethal force as the first and only option. Allowing them to continue their "stealing" while hoping the police arrive in time (yet we all know all that is going to happen is you get to file a report and take it up the ... Seconds count, minuets away...) is condoning their actions.

The individual committing a crime against you and/or yours made a choice. That same individual gets to make another choice as to how they respond to you confronting them. You are not escalating the situation by confronting them, you are defending your property - ergo stopping a crime from being committed. All you are doing is adding a variable into their plan of action that they may or may not have considered.

The individual now has another choice to make. Best option is to drop everything in run. Win-Win for everyone involved.

They run with your stuff, you can peruse, you are not breaking any laws in doing so (I can run longer mad than they can scared, and burdened with my property). I am willing to bet that 95% of the states have laws allowing a minimal amount of physical force necessary to stop them, CO does. If that means a rabbit punch to the head and kneeling on their neck until the police arrive, so be it.

They can choose to "stand their ground". They are escalating the situation, not you. Every thing is still non lethal until they choose to turn it into a potential lethal situation by threatening you. A verbal threat is sufficient to start accessing the JAM requirements (now is when the duty to retreat states suck). NOTE - They just turned their misdemeanor/petty/larceny crime into a felony. Whole new ballgame and set of rules.

They threatened you - Jeopardy is met. They are in close proximity - part of both Ability and Means is met. Disparity of force, are they visibly armed with anything that could be utilized as a weapon? Now is when you get to make a choice to back off or call their bluff.

Either way, the LEOs have more to work with if they catch them. Felony charges have a tendency to get them a bit more motivated than the slap on the wrist charges (the catch and release program).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks...great reply. Thank you.

Snowman23 - I meant to express my support to you, got sidetracked. Been there, done that. Hate that violated feeling.

For further discussion on my borderline hijacking post, go here - We are educating the BGs.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    You are not escalating the situation by confronting them, you are defending your property - ergo stopping a crime from being committed. All you are doing is adding a variable into their plan of action that they may or may not have considered.

The individual now has another choice to make. Best option is to drop everything in run. Win-Win for everyone involved.

They run with your stuff, you can peruse, you are not breaking any laws in doing so (I can run longer mad than they can scared, and burdened with my property). I
    They threatened you - Jeopardy is met. They are in close proximity - part of both Ability and Means is met. Disparity of force, are they visibly armed with anything that could be utilized as a weapon? Now is when you get to make a choice to back off or call their bluff.
    I agree with this to a point. If you feel the item being taken is worth the risk you could try to stop them without using lethal force (but better have it ready if you need it!)

The instructor in my CPL class was a State Police officer. He said you can't use deadly force to protect property, however if they are wheeling a bike out of your garage and you grab hold of the bike to stop them, they have two choices, drop the bike, or try to beat you to let go of the bike. At this point you are now defending yourself, not the property. He didn't recommend this action, and who knows how the responding officer, Prosocuter and jury are going to see it.

I don't think chasing them would be a good idea, since you went after them after the crime was committed, while you were armed. That could easily be seen as vigilanty justice to a jury. I think in Michigan at least I would want Castle Doctrine/Property rights on my side. Once I leave my property it looks less like "Self Defense" and more like varmit hunting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links