I got robbed last night!

This is a discussion on I got robbed last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau I agree with this to a point. If you feel the item being taken is worth the risk you could try ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I got robbed last night!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I agree with this to a point. If you feel the item being taken is worth the risk you could try to stop them without using lethal force (but better have it ready if you need it!)

The instructor in my CPL class was a State Police officer. He said you can't use deadly force to protect property, however if they are wheeling a bike out of your garage and you grab hold of the bike to stop them, they have two choices, drop the bike, or try to beat you to let go of the bike. At this point you are now defending yourself, not the property. He didn't recommend this action, and who knows how the responding officer, Prosocuter and jury are going to see it.

I don't think chasing them would be a good idea, since you went after them after the crime was committed, while you were armed. That could easily be seen as vigilanty justice to a jury. I think in Michigan at least I would want Castle Doctrine/Property rights on my side. Once I leave my property it looks less like "Self Defense" and more like varmit hunting.
    It is still all how you choose to deal with the BGs actions. Like I said, If I catch them and all it takes to end the situation is a punch to the back of the head and kneeling on their neck while waiting for the LEOs, cool.

I've chased enough thieves on foot to know that 95% or them usually drop what they took within 20 yards, especially if it is heavy or awkward to run with. If it looks like I can still catch them, I may keep going. Done it before. Misdemeanor charge if they don't escalate it, I show up to court long enough to hear them plead guilty or plea, if it even goes that far.

Yeah, there's a risk it might turn really ugly, and another risk after that, that I may end up getting charged.

That [it turned really ugly] means that the BG did present a clear and present threat to my physical well being - READ - JAM was met in full and then some, and I had no other options. In CO that will go a looooong way in my defense.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon the state you live in...first and foremost, but then not many people are having skis stolen in TX.

There is certainly nothing illegal about going out to one's car, and upon seeing someone in your vehicle...ordering them to cease and desist from taking your stuff. If they run away, great, but if they threaten you, then you must decide if it is a serious threat...

I have every legal right to be in my home, in my vehicle, and on my property here in FL...if you threaten me is such places, I have no duty to retreat...I'm just sayin'..
    I agree with retsupt99, if I catch someone in my vehicle anywhere, I'll certainly call 911 and then confront the BG. We'll see how the discussion goes and I'll act from his actions...I'm just sayin'. Hooah
    Courage: "Do not follow where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Retired Army, Infantry
    NRA Life Member

Two to the chest!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Similar instance

Court decided it was a good shoot, but I am not sure I would go out. Granted not his car, a neighbors. There had been a string of vehicle robberies in the area.

Roderick Scott recounts night of Christopher Cervini's shooting | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

FTA:

Finocchio (Prosecutor) pushed Scott (Defendant) on why he sought to detain the people he saw going through cars.

"That's not your job, is it?" Finocchio asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"That is your job?" she asked again.

"As a citizen," he replied, "it's all our jobs."
    Proudly serving.

NRA Life Member, NYSRPA, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post

The instructor in my CPL class was a State Police officer. He said you can't use deadly force to protect property,....
    You can in Texas, at least at night....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links