I got robbed last night!

I got robbed last night!

This is a discussion on I got robbed last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What a horrible feeling to find that someone has violated your personal space and stolen something of value. I feel sick. My favorite skis were ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got robbed last night!

Thumbs down I got robbed last night!

What a horrible feeling to find that someone has violated your personal space and stolen something of value. I feel sick. My favorite skis were stolen from the inside of my SUV.

Yes, I did make some mistakes so please don't bash me about them as I am fully aware of the stupidity. It was a crime of opportunity, an opportunity that I clearly provided. I'll smack myself

I had the day off yesterday, so as I do anytime I have the opportunity I go skiing. That's why I live where I do. The plan was for me to ski in the morning and be back by noon to watch my son while my wife went out for a couple of runs. In my haste to get her out of the house and onto the mountain I came home and ran inside to hang out with the little guy. I left all of my equipment in my 4Runner and I obviously did not lock it as all of my windows are still there. I am usually very good at taking my equipment out, putting in my garage and making sure my vehicle is locked. We went to have dinner with some friends around 5pm and took our other vehicle. We came home around 8pm and again did not even think to check the 4Runner. So....this either happened while I was out to dinner between 5-8pm...OR it happened between 8pm - Midnight. The 8 to midnight possibility is the part that makes me sick...I was home. BTW..I know it wasnt' after midnight because that's when it started snowing...and we had no tracks in the driveway this morning.

If I'm going to find humor in any of this...here it is. I discovered my skis were missing this morning because I had left my belt in my ski bag (also in my car and not stolen) and couldn't put my holster on without it. Found out I had been robbed while arming myself....I guess that's not so humorous now that I read it back.

I really got screwed. Why? Because not even insurance can make me whole. $1,200 retail & replacement cost. My friend is a coach for the US Freestyle Ski Team and he hooked me up with a pro deal for these skis. I paid $400 for skis and bindings. The deal he gave me was perceivably worth an $800 retail discount...I can't replace that deal. Screwed right?

So my question for all of you is.... What would you have done in the following scenarios?

1. You come home from dinner and find a guy in the back of your vehicle. Do you confront him? Drive off and call the cops? Last night I would have had to keep moving...had the baby and wife in the car. Armed...but with family and I don't want to put them in danger.

2. You look outside and see this same guy stealing your $1,200 pair of skis. Again, Confront or call the cops and hope they get there in time? I'm always armed....but family is safely inside home. No...it would not have been my XD9sc...Remy 870 would have accompanied me.

Live and learn.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that they ONLY took my skis. Left my poles, sunglasses and my ski bag (which had a very expensive pair of custom boots, expensive goggles, gloves...anyway...a bunch of valuable stuff).

People always say to stay inside and call the police. But I'd have a really REALLY hard time not intervening.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    People always say to stay inside and call the police. But I'd have a really REALLY hard time not intervening.

YEP^^^^^^^

Don't you have replacement cost on your stuff.???

Ie; if you paid $400 for something X amt. of years ago, they will replace it at todays replacement cost

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Depends upon the state you live in...first and foremost, but then not many people are having skis stolen in TX.

There is certainly nothing illegal about going out to one's car, and upon seeing someone in your vehicle...ordering them to cease and desist from taking your stuff. If they run away, great, but if they threaten you, then you must decide if it is a serious threat...

I have every legal right to be in my home, in my vehicle, and on my property here in FL...if you threaten me is such places, I have no duty to retreat...I'm just sayin'..
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In SC you can "cause the perp a moment of anguish and pain over his circumstances"--he is on and in your property and frightening your well-being and causing you to think about your possible imminent bodily injury or worse, once he is done with your car. Castle Doctrine rules. Personally, if I am in my house and look out my above comments hold true but I would call LEO, thnk about my car insurance and NOT go look for trouble by going outside and confronting him--he may be better armed and better at all this kind of thing than I and I do feel that my life is worth more than my skis and even my car. If I am coming home and I meet up with him as he is "examining my belongings" and I am CC, I would "introduce myself" to him and would stand my ground.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Don't you have replacement cost on your stuff.???

Ie; if you paid $400 for something X amt. of years ago, they will replace it at todays replacement cost
    I don't know? I've been lucky enough to have never filed a claim. I would be happy if that were the case.

Ret..you'd be surprised how many of my clients and people I meet on the lifts are from TX. Not all are big hat no skis

VIP Member
    Just took your skis. Some BG knows his ski brands huh?

Maybe a neighbor or business nearby has a security camera that might have caught something? Did you call the police and make a report? Do skis have serial numbers........ I guess the pricey ones would?

Good luck and I hope things work out for you. I hate a low-down thief
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Depends upon the state you live in...first and foremost, but then not many people are having skis stolen in TX.

There is certainly nothing illegal about going out to one's car, and upon seeing someone in your vehicle...ordering them to cease and desist from taking your stuff. If they run away, great, but if they threaten you, then you must decide if it is a serious threat...

I have every legal right to be in my home, in my vehicle, and on my property here in FL...if you threaten me is such places, I have no duty to retreat...I'm just sayin'..
    I agree, but you can't use deadly force to protect property, just life.
    Jamie

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That sucks. If I caught someone trying to steal my snowboard out of the back of my truck on my property here in TX, I'd hold them at gunpoint at the very least...if I'm feeling nice that day.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    I agree, but you can't use deadly force to protect property, just life.
    Depends on the state. In TX, I have every right to defend my property, and I will.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The title threw me off... were you robbed or was your car burglarized?

1) I would confront with my hand on my gun (Still holstered)... chances are that he has seen me if I am driving up to my house...

2) Be a good witness and stay inside and call the cops...

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    That's the same folks that told everyone if their airplane was hijacked to sit quietly and cooperate.

I'ld have a definite discussion with the fella... in my car....

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    The title threw me off... were you robbed or was your car burglarized?
    Me too. The car was definitely burgled.

I would confront. That doesn't mean I have to threaten the life of a burglar, but I wouldn't let my vehicle be rummaged. All things being equal, I'd most likely put a light on him from a safe distance with some choice words thrown in. How he responds and whether a weapon of any sort is observed could up the ante considerably. To allow the thief free reign encourages the criminal to come back at a later date for another easy payoff IMO, and perhaps next time it won't be limited to the car.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    :

So my question for all of you is.... What would you have done in the following scenarios?

1. You come home from dinner and find a guy in the back of your vehicle. Do you confront him? Drive off and call the cops? Last night I would have had to keep moving...had the baby and wife in the car. Armed...but with family and I don't want to put them in danger.
    _I call 9-1-1 quickly to let them know whats going on, and get LEOs enroute. Then likely I will confront the guy to avoid having to replace my equiptment. As you say, you could not replace what you lost.

_If family is in the car I'd likely just call the cops. I would drop the family off at a neighbors home, and follow the individual discreetly giving cops blow by blow directions of where the culprit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    2. You look outside and see this same guy stealing your $1,200 pair of skis. Again, Confront or call the cops and hope they get there in time? I'm always armed....but family is safely inside home. No...it would not have been my XD9sc...Remy 870 would have accompanied me.
    I believe that I would have had my G26 on hip & my 12 gauge Shotty in hand as I went out and got the drop on this guy. I would have instructed my wife to call the cops and give them my description and that of the BG to the best we could see from the house. This way the cops have some idea of who the BG is if they arrive while we are engaged in battle of some sort. If things go the way I expect, the BG is laying at my feet dead in the middle of my driveway.

Is taking a picture of the BG and posting it on here afterwards illegal?
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Aw man what a bummer! That was a great idea about seeing if anyone in your neighborhood had a home security vid going at the time. Logically here, one of two likely things and one long shot IMO: I would probably guess that because they were skis, they were probably in a vehicle. (Skis aren't too descretely taken and marched down the road.) Maybe one of your neighbors could recall a car near your home around that time. Another likely thing would seem to be that it was someone in your neighborhood that saw you load them up and noticed that you had left them in there. They wouldn't have had too far to go in the dark to get them home if they were on foot. Least likely would be someone not living in your neighborhood and on foot. I would keep checking up on Ebay from time to time. Good Luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links