False alarm

This is a discussion on False alarm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a "spidey sense" moment not too long ago that I thought I would share. I was coming back from the gym and stopped ...

Thread: False alarm

False alarm

I had a "spidey sense" moment not too long ago that I thought I would share. I was coming back from the gym and stopped to get gas at a station in my neighborhood (maybe 8 or 9 o'clock at night). Now, I live in a relatively good neighborhood with two police stations at most three blocks from my front door. That being said, it didn't stop two bank robbers from walking into a Randalls Supermarket and rob the Wells Fargo inside at 10 am in the morning, one brandishing an assault rifle and the other a pistol. Someone in the store made a move that spooked the robbers and they actually fired a few shots within the store. But that's another story....

So, I pull up to the station (in front of the Randalls that got robbed months before), and park next to a pump. I have my Kel tec 380-AT in the pocket of the car door. My attention is immediately grabbed by the dumbsh#t gassing up his hood-mobile. He has the engine still running, THUMP THUMP THUMPIDDY of his bass speakers rattling his entire vehicle, and he is smoking a swisher cigar next to the gas tank of his 88 cutlass .

I pump my gas and go into the store, leaving my gun in the car because my track pants are really light material. I walk into the store and see that the moron is also in the store but he is standing at the back of the counter chatting up the lady that works the register. It struck me weird that he was back there. Not only that, there is this skin head looking thug in front of the counter and he has both his hands obscured from view with his jacket folded over his arms. Now, the first thing going through my mind is, robbery. The skin headed thug (maybe a 110 lbs soaking wet) says that I can go ahead of him, but I can't see what he's got in his hands.

I put my drink on the counter, keeping my strong side to the skin head kid, but really putting my focus on the employee lady for any signs of distress. I even ask her, "are you doing okay?". She appears completely at ease, laughing with the swisher smoking dumbsh#t. She responds that everything is alright and rings up my purchases, telling me to have a nice night. So, I make my way to the door, looking over my shoulder to see if I can make out what the skin head has under his jacket. Glancing back, I see him reveal what he is holding on to...two bottles of Zima....he's a real gangster.

So, first and foremost, I had left my gun in the car. Mistake? Definitely. Although I know a concealed carry permit doesn't allow me to play policeman and try to foil a robbery, I'd rather have my gun and not need it then need it and not have it. After all, if it had been a robbery, what's to keep the robbers from taking me and the employee to the back room and dispatching us with shots behind the ear. Although I would have fought it, I'd rather have the advantage of being armed.

Second, I was very aware of the situation, really believing that a robbery was gonna take place after I left the store. So I was really trying to read the situation in case I needed to alert the authorities.

Third, I left my gun in the car

Everything was fine, but there are some definite lessons here that I can learn from.

KTCameraman

2. Remove Ads

If some numbskull is smoking while gassing up a running vehicle it seems to me that the bigger numbskull is the one that stuck around when he noticed the situation.

If your "spidey sense" is tingling that's usually a good indicator to leave the area. That "spidey sense" is your survival mechanism kicking in, and to ignore it is something that you do at your own peril. Yes, there were mistakes made, but I think they were made well before you went into the store.

What you are basically doing is gambling that the fumes from the gas being pumped will not be ignited by the running vehicle, or the cigar. Good luck with that. Me, I always figure I can get gas later, as it's not something I'm willing to die for.

Granted I have pumped gas into a running vehicle, and smoked while doing so in the past. What can I say, I wasn't always as smart as I am now. :) I have however learned from other people's mistakes, and try to not repeat them. I pointed out some things to you that I hope you take into consideration.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Smoking while pumping gas? I would have immediately either left the station, or gone to a pump on the other side of the station.
    Gun in the car? Never, not unless they had the schedule for robberies clearly posted on the front door of the store.

We all make our owe decisions, and we are responsible for them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Smoking while pumping gas? I would have immediately either left the station, or gone to a pump on the other side of the station.
    Gun in the car? Never, not unless they had the schedule for robberies clearly posted on the front door of the store.

We all make our owe decisions, and we are responsible for them.
    YEP^^^^^^^^^^

I generally try to get gas by paying at the pump, avoiding the need to go in and pay, avoiding the shaky individuals in the first place.

take 1 dummy,
    Add fuel nozzle,
    + 1 lit ciggarette/stoggie = potential BIG bang
    I'M OUTTA THERE!!!

If there is to be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    What I have done for many years, is buy gas in the day, and pay at the pump. This keeps you away from a lot of these situations.

Next time if you can leave, just leave. A couple years ago I was gassing up and some Bikers pulled in and started to gas their Harleys and immediately all of them and their riders were lighting cigarettes right at the pump. I prepaid at the pump so i was able to just stop and leave. Sure, nothing happened and I had to get more gas down the road, but I just knew to leave.

Links