at Home drinking? - Page 4

at Home drinking?

This is a discussion on at Home drinking? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by obxned Whatever you are doing in your own home does not negate your right to life ... But it can make handling ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: at Home drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Whatever you are doing in your own home does not negate your right to life ...
    But it can make handling a bad situation tougher. No two ways about that. And that's really all that folks are saying. Drink, party, have fun, have it all. In your own home, particularly. But realize that being taken out of your zone of competency and judgment is what it is. If anything ugly happens that night, your ability to navigate the "rapids" can be impacted.

Designated "drivers" have their place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    It would be very unlikely for you to be subjected to a breath, urine or any other test if a shooting were to occur inside your house immediately after the incident. If asked, it is your right to decline any tests or for that matter even to decline speaking to the LEO's who might arrest you, without an attorney present. It would normally be at least 8 hours after an incident before any detectives would interview you for a statement. By then, your blood/alcohol content would normally be lower than any legal limit. If the LEO's latter testify in court that alcohol was smelled on your breath or that two empty liquor bottles were present on your coffee table, you seemed to be drunk when they arrived, etc. It would only be additional testimony that would probably not hold up or even be allowed to be entered for testimony. Who is to judge that perhaps you were so upset after the shooting incident, you happened to slug down a pint of Jack to calm yourself before the LEO's arrive on the shooting scene.

The first defense for you in a situation such as you have described even if you are three sheets to the wind at the time, would be to keep your mouth shut when LEO's arrive and call an attorney ASAP.
    Remember the LEO's are not your friends and I'm speaking from being on the good side of the house! Very good advice.

I personally don't drink and believe guns, autos and alcohol don't mix and think you should maintain a clear mind by keeping your beer limit at 1 so you do the right thing when you need to use that weapon in SD.

Here's a chart on impairment that could be used against you both in a criminal or civil court case.

Alcohol Impairment Chart
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Remember the LEO's are not your friends and I'm speaking from being on the good side of the house! Very good advice.

You are generalizing. Some of my best friends and neighbors are cops. Of course a LEO is going to be cautious when he/she approachs a person who has too much to drink.

I personally don't drink and believe guns, autos and alcohol don't mix and think you should maintain a clear mind by keeping your beer limit at 1 so you do the right thing when you need to use that weapon in SD.

Don't mix or do mix?

Here's a chart on impairment that could be used against you both in a criminal or civil court case.

Alcohol Impairment Chart
    Cops are just like you and me. They don't want to get killed by a drunk so they might not seem friendly at the time. That does not mean a cop can not be friendly.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Cops are just like you and me. They don't want to get killed by a drunk so they might not seem friendly at the time. That does not mean a cop can not be friendly.
    I'm speaking from experience. He/she may be your neighbor or friend but when they show up on a shooting they ARE NOT your friends, but professionals at this point in time and there won't be any small talk. LEO's look for the facts and and closing a case. If you appear to be intoxicated or smell like booze it WILL go into the report. If you are obviously intoxicated it will not look good for you and can and will be used against you in a court of law, either criminal, civil or both. If it goes criminal or civil you will be out of big bucks either way and possibly facing jail time if judgement is against you in a criminal case. If you are a holder of a CCW permit you are held to a higher standard of training than "John Doe" and don't think for a minute the DA will not hesitate to bring that fact up.

If it looks like a bad shoot you may be arrested, taken to the nearest medical facility for a blood test for futher evidence ESPECIALLY if there is the slightest smell of alcohol on your breath. All it takes is a search warrant which does not take 8 hours to obtain.

Be responsible is all I am saying. By being responsible you should keep control of your mental facilities while drinking at all times, especially if behind the wheel OR in your home with a weapon in your hands. That's why I recommended a 1 beer max limit. You are under the legal limit and will stand a better chance of not being run through the criminal/civil judicial system wringer.

Please read the chart again. Impairment begins with the FIRST drink.

I've seen way too many fine people destroy their own and other lives while under the influence. Many were very nice folks who would not do the stuipid things they did if they had maintained or refrained.

I've also seen many a person who should not own a weapon due to lack of proper training, showboating, mental instability and not following the golden rules. Add a few drinks to that type of person and you have a much larger problem.

A safe and Merry Christmas to all! I'll be working Christmas Eve making sure intoxicated drivers are taken off the road.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; December 20th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links