When we are most vulnerable - Page 2

When we are most vulnerable

This is a discussion on When we are most vulnerable within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shooterX One way to deal with this would to have weapons strategically placed in various places around your home for quick retrieval. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When we are most vulnerable

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    One way to deal with this would to have weapons strategically placed in various places around your home for quick retrieval.
    I would retrieve my 1911 from inside my kitchen clock and commence fire.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Inside dog. Can't be poisoned. Goes nuts if someone gets close to the house. Can't imagine the noise if someone tried to break in.

My kids are grown. I have some handy shotguns around the house. Also, always have a pistol in my pocket if out of bed.

2 bully breeds on the main level, 1 up in the bedroom, pretty much makes somebody sneaking in a non issue. I wouldn't want to be the person half in half out of the window when the dogs get there! though if they somehow got past the dogs without me or the dog in the bedroom (who comes down with me in the morning) knowing and they were between me and my bedroom 870 the next move would be a chef knife and a fight to the death if I'm not home alone, if I happen to be alone, without my gun against an armed intruder I'm tucking my tail and running like forest gump, clothed or not.

link to a MN home invasion site
    http://www.mnhomeinvasionwatch.com/

Senior Moderator
    Go for one of my stashed guns and/or knives.

At one of our defensive classes the instructor gave the recommendation of shifting the intimidation. Robbers, in general, (whether they are home invaders or just street thugs) depend a great deal on your fear and their level of intimidation over you. Pretending you are not afraid (even though you may be terrified) and trying to intimidate them may go a long way to either end the confrontation or at least buy you prescious time and distance.

In class he gave an example of walking down the street in a state that did not allow carry. He was young and a bit reckless. He was surprised by a man with a drawn knife. Without putting too much thought into it he drew two knives, got in a warrior stance and said, "Okay, Buddy, let's go."

The guy took off running.

He said in hindsight he would not have done the same thing but it taught him a valuable lesson about handling seemingly hopeless sitatuons. When you are cornered, can't run, don't have the ideal tools and the only option is to fight, then swallow your fear, grab whatever tool is available and act like you are the greatest fighter in the world with that particular tool. Make them not want to fight you. And if it comes to that, fight with everything you have.

Then he said what I have put into my signature, "because even death is a poor excuse for not fighting back."

If I can't get to a specific gun or knife there is a whole tub filled with nice hard bath toys. My sons tug boat would make a fabulous bluddgening tool. There's a heater in the bathroom I wouldn't have a problem using as a projectile. Toothbrushes can be nasty when weilded with a purpose. There are two five lbs weights sitting on the floor outside of the bathroom that I would not want to be hit with. My sons books hurt when they get up speed. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.

I'm going to fight with all I have until he decides it was a really bad idea to come into this particular house and mess with this particular mother.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    In your scenario, I'd have to pull a knife out of the block on the kitchen counter and then "open up a can..."

I had half of this scenario happen about a week ago. 4 am--wife hears the dog get up and walk down the hall--she follows thinking the dog needs to be let out. Only she gets halfway down the hall and the dog is now already outside and barking! That means an exterior door is OPEN. I had to grab the gun, clear the house, then retrieve the dog.

It turns out the back door had been shut but didn't quite latch and the wind blew it open. Dog was chasing a neighborhood cat.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98LSWON View Post
    It's also a good way to get them stolen if your home is broken into while you are away. Trust me on this one.
    Ditto! Yeah, I know, keep them in a safe. But a gun is a safe is of no use to me in a hurry. Likewise my "hidden" guns were stolen while no one is home (when the vast majority of break-ins occur). BGs know where to look. A live and learn lesson.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    perimeter alarm... active, passive or K9

I do not leave my room without a knife or pistol.

Did I mention my kill kittens from Arduin?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    perimeter alarm... active, passive or K9

I do not leave my room without a knife or pistol.

Did I mention my kill kittens from Arduin?
    We rent... can't have a dog. We just have a guard cat

In addition... have you ever tried holstering a 1911 in a pair of sweatpants?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    We rent... can't have a dog. We just have a guard cat

In addition... have you ever tried holstering a 1911 in a pair of sweatpants?
    Not bad...don't discount them. I give cats a lot of "flack" but if you pay attention you'll notice that they notice something "off" long before you do.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have a gun or two 'stashed' in other rooms.
    When I get up in the morning, my hand goes to my Glock and it comes with me to make the coffee.
    Don't be in my house uninvited, especially before I've had my first cup of coffee.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

re: Lima--- shifting intimidation

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    In class he gave an example of walking down the street in a state that did not allow carry. He was young and a bit reckless. He was surprised by a man with a drawn knife. Without putting too much thought into it he drew two knives, got in a warrior stance and said, "Okay, Buddy, let's go."
    Something like this actually happened to my former MA instructor. Someone walked up to him as he was exiting a subway in Atlanta, bumped him, and said--"give me your wallet or we'll get it on."

My friend answered, "let's get it on," and the BG walked off.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Not bad...don't discount them. I give cats a lot of "flack" but if you pay attention you'll notice that they notice something "off" long before you do.
    He's given me a few spooks before on late nights when I'm home alone. I'll be laying in bed watching TV with him curled up purring next to me, no one is home, lights are off, then suddenly he stops purring and his head perks up as he looks into the darkness of the hallway. I can tell you it can be a little eerie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    In your scenario, I'd have to pull a knife out of the block on the kitchen counter and then "open up a can..."

I had half of this scenario happen about a week ago. 4 am--wife hears the dog get up and walk down the hall--she follows thinking the dog needs to be let out. Only she gets halfway down the hall and the dog is now already outside and barking! That means an exterior door is OPEN. I had to grab the gun, clear the house, then retrieve the dog.

It turns out the back door had been shut but didn't quite latch and the wind blew it open. Dog was chasing a neighborhood cat.

Whew!! Glad it was nothing^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have a gun or two 'stashed' in other rooms.
    When I get up in the morning, my hand goes to my Glock and it comes with me to make the coffee.
    Don't be in my house uninvited, especially before I've had my first cup of coffee.

Funny /coffee

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I think the Glock stories are getting out of hand. Now Supt's Glock is making coffee in the morning. Supt, If I send you my G26, can you train it to make coffee.

We have an alarm that beeps whenever a door or Window is opened as well as an EWD*. It is unlikely somebody will sneak into the house while we're there. Much more likely they'll get in while we're at work and the dog is kenneled.

*Early Warning Dog.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links