When we are most vulnerable - Page 4

When we are most vulnerable

This is a discussion on When we are most vulnerable within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Answering the specific question in that scenario I think I would exit the house and grab an impromptu weapon in case he followed - got ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When we are most vulnerable

Answering the specific question in that scenario I think I would exit the house and grab an impromptu weapon in case he followed - got lots of tools available. My house is so small I doubt I'd miss anyone on the way to the water closet but that's not the point here is it? Don't really know until I'm in that situation though. Definitely gives me pause to consider setting up options. I don't have to pee in the middle of the night so far but I can see that scenario happening.

My simular dream/nightmare was that I was sitting on my couch - wide awake and fully functional - with my gun on me and as available as it could ever be without actually holding it pointed at the door. They bust in through the door and have the drop on me in 1 second flat. Now what?

Sometimes you are in an impossible situation. Like, if someone really wanted me dead - assassination-wise... I'm dead no matter how much I prepare.

bad guys generally have the upper hand as they know when they are going to attack. we will almost always be suprised by an attack. thats the way it is and why its called self defense. sa is most important but dont let it take over your life, especialy at home where you should be most comfortable. wether in a house or apt. do your best to secure your property, good locks, proper lighting, alarm if possible. im in a house with new doors and windows with new locks and a large vocal dog. there is no one answer to everyones situation.

I have a alarm system on my home so if someone is breaking in I know it and come awake with my weapon - very rarely do I wake and not know what is going on around me (retired Marine GySgt and have spent the last 2 years working in Iraq)
    Glock 19 & Glock 26
    Retired USMC
    Dept of State Diplomatic Security
    Baghdad, Iraq

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Anyone else home?

For me it would depend if my wife is home in bed. I always get up first, and am definitly not fully aware until I get out of the shower. If she was not home, I would probably try to get out and run next door. If she was in bed I would make enough noise to make sure she wakes up real fast so that she can grab the shotgun while I distract the intruder. I would engage him in any manner possible to prevent him from getting to my wife before she knows what is happening. And then expect her to be able to handle it from there. I love a woman with a gun.
    Walk softly ...

I sleep naked and make coffee naked.

Add me to the loaded gun in every room camp. Of course in the kitchen you can add the butcher knife to the gun. As far as the guns getting stolen when I leave home, that's what the safe is for.

I relate to Gunny in post#48. I can wake from a dead sleep to instant full-on alert almost instantly. I think a lot of combat vets would agree. It's not really something that can be learned- it comes from spending months/years in daily life/death situations.

Some observations:
    -A dog with a good bark is one of the best deterrents with testimonials from thieves and criminals themselves. Even a small breed will deter most of them. Large breeds with deep throaty barks may make them wet their pants. Who can really say if a bark is from a Rottie or a Pointer?

-Unfortunately with three boys under 10, I can't exactly stash loaded firearms around the house. However there are weapons of opportunity everywhere you look. One of the things we teach our Marines in their martial arts classes is to apply improvisation- what is within arms reach of you right now that you could use as a weapon? It becomes a game, albeit a deadly serious one. Play mentally. Play regularly.

Lessons learned in urban combat:
    -Make yourself a hard target. Vary your routine. Maintain situational awareness. Never go condition white. Survival depends on it.
    -Be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    -"Guardian Angels"- have some type of overwatch. I realize I can't make my kids stand firewatch (haha!) but dogs are a good lookout and early warning system, as are window and door alarms.
    -Keep 'em guessing. Domestically that could be applied as, "Don't sit in your living room watching TV with the curtains open." Set timers to randomly switch lights off/on in rooms you're not sleeping in to make it look like someone is up and around all night.
    -Physical defenses are cheaper than human lives. Fences, locks and alarms are relatively inexpensive. A good solid steel door with a 1 1/2" deadbolt probably costs less than what a thief can grab from your home in ten minutes.
    -Deterrence is cheaper in both lives and material than a firefight.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Draw from my SmartCarry and defend.

Your scenario is another reason I like the SmartCarry. I am wearing one now over the sweatpants I slept in. I put the SmartCarry on when I stepped out of bed. The scenario you described will not happen to me as long as I continue this routine.

It is possible to be surprised in one's own home. Even if one has dogs and/or a security alarm, doors can be kicked in and one can be facing an intruder before one has time to go to another room and retrieve a weapon.

If one chooses not to carry in the home, that's their choice. I've heard of too many home invasions where there was no notice until the perp was inside.

I'm armed for the duration. It requires very little behavior modification on my part. I intend to be ready if that moment ever comes to me and my family.

Maybe your dream was your subconscious noticing a vulnerability.
    While it is possible for someone to break into your own even when a security alarm is installed and used, it is still a very good idea to have one.

Case in pont, my wife and I recently moved from Kentucky. While living there, our home was broken into at 4:00 am. We had a security alarm but did not have it activated that night. It does have a voice function wherein it tells you when a door or window is open and which one. It was this voice that woke my wife and I that night. It was and is my perception that when I woke I was fully alert and ware of my surroundings and prepared to respond. I immediately put my eye glasses on and retrieved my G21 which rests on my night stand every night and is always in a fully loaded condition (full magazine and one in the chamber). Since I am a retire LEO, I ensured my wife was also armed and told her to call 911. I then began to "clear" the house. In doing so, I swept the perp out the way he came (I know this from foot prints and the break-in tool he left behind in his haste. Once, I had ensured the safety of my loved ones and my property I returned to my wife in the bedroom, took up a defensive position waited for the PD to arrive.

Had I not had a gun (unthinkable for me), I would have used the next best available thing. Weapons of opportunity can be anything - a kitchen knife, pot or pan, baseball bat, etc. The key is to have a plan and to execute it aggressively. In my situation, my wife and I had discussed just such a situation in advance. We did make a mistake by not having our alarm activated that night (it was and is centrally monitored - and we were just careless/complacent).

I wish I could say that there is little probability that we will ever face such a situation again, but alas we suffered another break-in on the very first night in our new home three states away.

If the three most important things in real estate are location, location location; and the three most important things in defensive shooting are shot placement, shot placement, shot placement; then I contend the three most important elements of a sucessful global defensive strategy are preparedness, preparedness, preparedness. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by G30shooter View Post
    If the three most important things in real estate are location, location location; and the three most important things in defensive shooting are shot placement, shot placement, shot placement; then I contend the three most important elements of a sucessful global defensive strategy are preparedness, preparedness, preparedness. JMO
    Well said. It's the things we do today that can save our lives tomorrow.

When our time comes, we probably won't have time to prepare, only to act.

We live in the "basement" portion of the house which is built on a slope with rear entrance. Our upstairs neighbors are habitual drug users (the heavy stuff); while up to now they have only gone as far as to engage in full-contact fights with each other, we're more than aware that they may be capable of sudden violence towards us. Every day is an audible reminder to have the shotgun and handguns prepared to encounter any unwelcome events.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Even a cup of scalding hot coffee can be used to buy you the time to get to another weapon, gun, knife, club whatever you can find.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I go with the other Vets, when I get up, it's instant alert mode. Now should someone just for arguements sakes get between me and my weapon, it would depend, no firearm, were going to fight, I'm putting 20+ years of MA/SDs and HTHC to work, if he/she has a gun, then were going to have to rethink it and go for other weapons to help give me some type of chance, lamps, knifes, computer screens whatever comes in handy, they might have the gun, but the house is mine. I won't go down without a fight and by then my wife would come out armed with her weapon from behind and take him/her out.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I had a dream last night and it dawned on me it could be a potentially real and life threatening situation.

Lets say you just woke up, you're obviously still a little sleepy and groggy. You may be wearing sweatpants or underwear.... whatever you wear to bed. You get out of bed, it's early. You go down to the kitchen put on a pot of coffee, go back to use the restroom, then you notice the back door is cracked open, and the handle broken.

You look around and notice some stuff shuffled around. Someone has broken in. Then you realize there is a silhouette of a man in your living room with a knife, gun or other weapon in his hand... he must have been hiding when you were moving around before you noticed the door. He is the only way between you and your handgun and phone sitting on your nightstand in your bedroom.

My couple of points are this. First it's early, you aren't on top of your game, second you are in your sweatpants. I don't know about you but generally I don't get up first thing and change into something so I can strap my gun on especially if I'm getting ready to take a shower or something, I do that after the fact. Third I'm not the type of person to carry a gun around in my hand at home.

Given the above scenario what would you do?
    Interesting...."when we are most vulnerable". I would agree about when we sleep, or when we are not fully awake. One of the reasons I think sleep is a waste of time. Once in a while things catch up to me, but not often. It's like digging into a foxhole while planting your perimeter with claymore mines......take a few minutes nap, and the enemy has come in and turned them around on you.....then a sound awakes you.....you poke your head up out of the foxhole to see the enemy just a few meters away and squeeze the trigger. Lights out for you forever.
    Here's the thing...think whatever you will.....I still sleep with my pistol under my pillow, and most of the time it's in my grip. You want to talk about someone who's paranoid? Don't.....because you're the one who's asked a question and opened it to opinions. Most of the time, I sleep naked, next to my wife. Sometimes I wear sweats or underwear. Neither of which keeps me from carrying my pistol in one hand when I get up to go whiz at 2am, and I'll instinctively take it with me to the toilet when the toilet is just around the corner. My pistol is totally integrated with my routine, and even when my routine is not routine. It's one of those things I need to do to have total peace of mind. I've had dreams, I dream once in a while when I sleep long enough to get into the dream state. Most of the time, the dreams are when I can't put the BG down no matter how many I put into him in any kill zone. He just keeps coming, or taking the hits with little or no effect.
    Third I'm not the type of person to carry a gun around in my hand at home.
    But you are having these thoughts...dreams...etc. Whatever you need to do to ease your mind is in the cards for you. You may not like what the cards have to tell. If you feel insecure at times, then change things to where you do. Change your life to where you feel secure all of the time, or the most that you can. Right now, I'm imagining how difficult this might seem to most. You know......I still have this ingrained notion that one who lives by the sword dies by the sword, but to die at the hands of another without my sword would be totally unforgivable in my book. Personally, I plan on doing my time in hell here on earth. I don't want to get caught up in one of those 'waiting' places in between. Be ready, have no fear.

Well I have never in my life felt threatened or felt I was in danger (I just turned 40); and I feel like I live in a very safe area. But we moved into our new house the end of June - it's 3 storys; full finished basement, main level with master, upstairs where the 3 kiddos sleep.

Not long (maybe 3 weeks) after moving in, hubby was out of town, around 2:30 am the alarm went off. I jumped out of bed, checked the keypad and noticed it was a zone downstairs. I went to check it out and the ONLY thing within reach was my dustmop! No kidding! Grabbed the phone, alarm co calls, I'm heading downstairs with a dustmop...not so smart...but turns out we had a defective wireless sensor.

So now I'm armed (but not cc'ing or oc'ing) at this time; keep my S&M 38S loaded on nightstand when hubby is gone. Have also noticed I sleep much lighter when left home alone. But I do feel better knowing I'm ready to protect myself and my kiddos.

LCP on the end table next to me; FNP-9 and Mossberg 12 guage in the bedroom; deadbolt on the front door; locked garage door in back.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    One way to deal with this would to have weapons strategically placed in various places around your home for quick retrieval.
    The problem with this strategy is that if weapons are placed where you can get them in a hurry, a BG would most likely have access as well. I have an alarm system in my house, and unlike many who do, I don't have the "protected by............" signs in my yard or on my windows. And for the same reason I don't advertise that I carry a weapon. Why give the BG information he/she can use against you? If the BG knows I have an alarm, he will devise a way to defeat it if he wants in bad enough.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links