When we are most vulnerable

This is a discussion on When we are most vulnerable within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a dream last night and it dawned on me it could be a potentially real and life threatening situation. Lets say you just ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When we are most vulnerable

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

When we are most vulnerable

I had a dream last night and it dawned on me it could be a potentially real and life threatening situation.

Lets say you just woke up, you're obviously still a little sleepy and groggy. You may be wearing sweatpants or underwear.... whatever you wear to bed. You get out of bed, it's early. You go down to the kitchen put on a pot of coffee, go back to use the restroom, then you notice the back door is cracked open, and the handle broken.

You look around and notice some stuff shuffled around. Someone has broken in. Then you realize there is a silhouette of a man in your living room with a knife, gun or other weapon in his hand... he must have been hiding when you were moving around before you noticed the door. He is the only way between you and your handgun and phone sitting on your nightstand in your bedroom.

My couple of points are this. First it's early, you aren't on top of your game, second you are in your sweatpants. I don't know about you but generally I don't get up first thing and change into something so I can strap my gun on especially if I'm getting ready to take a shower or something, I do that after the fact. Third I'm not the type of person to carry a gun around in my hand at home.

Given the above scenario what would you do?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Draw from my SmartCarry and defend.

Your scenario is another reason I like the SmartCarry. I am wearing one now over the sweatpants I slept in. I put the SmartCarry on when I stepped out of bed. The scenario you described will not happen to me as long as I continue this routine.

It is possible to be surprised in one's own home. Even if one has dogs and/or a security alarm, doors can be kicked in and one can be facing an intruder before one has time to go to another room and retrieve a weapon.

If one chooses not to carry in the home, that's their choice. I've heard of too many home invasions where there was no notice until the perp was inside.

I'm armed for the duration. It requires very little behavior modification on my part. I intend to be ready if that moment ever comes to me and my family.

Maybe your dream was your subconscious noticing a vulnerability.

VIP Member
    One way to deal with this would to have weapons strategically placed in various places around your home for quick retrieval.

I always put my pants on upon waking and on goes the EDC, weather or not Im fully dressed doesnt matter, Im still armed. Also just throwing it out there, when showering I keep EDC on the counter in the bathroom holstered, arms reach away. Also like shooterX said, a few around the house is never a bad Idea.

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

The [B]only[B] time I feel vulnerable is when I am actually in the shower naked with the water running and the shower muting my hearing. Otherwise, I am never further than a step or two from a loaded gun. I am single and have very few visitors, and those are all adults, so having a loaded gun laying around on almost every flat surface of the house is not an issue to for me. Now I know you may be thinking that a bad guy could just pick up one of my guns to use against me, but the fact is, although they are laying around all over the house, you would have to look kind of close to actually see one of them.

VIP Member
    100% of "home-invasion" happen at home.

Stay armed!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I've been thinking of this more lately myself, and I like Grady's idea, or some similar approach. I may go that route.
    Right now I have one gun at the bedside, one in the kitchen. Unless someone uses a ladder, they can only make entry from the basement or the front door using the same hallway.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Last night about 9pm we are talking with the TV on mute and hear noise in back side of house garage area.

Sounded as tho something had fallen, hard to tell what it was.

Wife and I went to check it out, house and garage are connected by locked door.

Turned on light in garage and opened door with pocket carry P3AT in hand and ready.

Nothing there and never found what had fallen, but it was a lesson for me and wife on why to carry at home.

It could have easily being a home brake in or worse, or just a box or something fallen over.

You never know until you check it out and going to get firearm from gun safe may take way to long.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    One way to deal with this would to have weapons strategically placed in various places around your home for quick retrieval.
    It's also a good way to get them stolen if your home is broken into while you are away. Trust me on this one.

Your best weapon is the one between your ears...

I'm guilty of selectively carrying while at home, although I've been more careful as of late. There is no room in my home that doesn't contain SOMETHING I can use as a weapon. Would it be as effective as my Glock 36? Probably not, but anything is better than nothing in a sudden encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    This is the method I use....yes, they could get stolen if the house is broken into, but I am willing to take that chance for peace of mind while I am at home.

I also hope my 130# GSD might provide some deterence & cause the bad guys decide to break into another house besides mine.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I had a dream last night and it dawned on me it could be a potentially real and life threatening situation.

Lets say you just woke up, you're obviously still a little sleepy and groggy. You may be wearing sweatpants or underwear.... whatever you wear to bed. You get out of bed, it's early. You go down to the kitchen put on a pot of coffee, go back to use the restroom, then you notice the back door is cracked open, and the handle broken.

You look around and notice some stuff shuffled around. Someone has broken in. Then you realize there is a silhouette of a man in your living room with a knife, gun or other weapon in his hand... he must have been hiding when you were moving around before you noticed the door. He is the only way between you and your handgun and phone sitting on your nightstand in your bedroom.

My couple of points are this. First it's early, you aren't on top of your game, second you are in your sweatpants. I don't know about you but generally I don't get up first thing and change into something so I can strap my gun on especially if I'm getting ready to take a shower or something, I do that after the fact. Third I'm not the type of person to carry a gun around in my hand at home.

Laugh my butt off as the BG get's eaten by the live-in guard dog that he missed...(which happens to be an overprotective pitbull)... Then get out the mop for the mess on the floor.

Seriously...get a good dog of a breed of known reputation of protective/owner guarding habits. Basically prevent the situation from happening in the first place.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

cj
    In that scenario, I'd do my best to pretend to still be sleepy and wander back towards my nearest weapon. At this point, he's got a high level of potential control, and I can only hope he's trying to avoid confrontation.

If your ONLY weapon is blocked by him, a hasty retreat may be in order to another location with a phone.

VIP Member
    Get a dog, carry at home. I personally dislike the idea of leaving/hiding multiple guns throughout the house. It is an unsafe practice.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Between the dogs outside and the alarm system, hopefully I won't ever be in that type of situation.

If it ever did happen, I would be looking for the nearest weapon if a firearm was not available.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links