What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot General Provisions of the Act A person may use deadly force with no duty to retreat if (PA 309): 1. They ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    General Provisions of the Act
    A person may use deadly force with no duty to retreat if (PA 309):
    1. They are not engaged in a crime
    2. They are in a place they have a legal right to be
    3. They honestly and reasonably believe deadly force is necessary
    4. The deadly force is used to prevent imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault of the person or another

In Michigan if they are posing the question to me they are getting lead^^^^^^

Above is the law

Yep I'm in Michigan too, They have already satisfied items 3 and 4, and since I always comply with items 1 and 2, I would feel that drawing might be the only reasonable reaction here. In a mob situation none of them are going to back down unless forced to, it's a matter of pride and since they all ready stated their intent, i would take them at their word.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i normally dont go to the gun first in many situations but i believe anyone against these kind of odds who is armed would be a fool not to...regardless of your self defense skills you are putting yourself in a less than hopeful situation against multipleattackers...you are potentially exposing yourself to a beating and loss of your firearm once it is discovered...that i itself is a responsibility that must be considered...hmmmm...do i take a shot at fighting these guys and possibly losing my gun...my life and the life of my family due to a miscalculation on my part?...or do i respond with known deadly force and hope it backs enough of them off without too much bloodshed and my family is safe?...

sorry...i think this one is a no brainer...

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I frequently go over scenarios in my head about what to do if a situation occurs.

If you, your wife, and toddler daughter were out and a group of guys surrounded you in a not so public area. They tell you that they are going to satisfy themselves with your wife and daughter and if I sit back and don't try and be a hero we can all walk away alive.

What would you do?? I know what I would do (draw and hope they back off if not you know how it would end for them) BUT how would the law interpret it? Our lives were not in danger (we wouldn't know that for a fact) so says the BGs.
    Once I begin the draw, if they havent began to run at the motion and first sight of it, they get turned into the M.Es new clientele or the ER docs new projects . Just being honest about it. In this situation there WILL be no warning, I/We are outnumbered and since they havent pulled guns yet I wouldnt know if I/We are out gunned. THIS would fall into my category of Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6. For all you know they may shoot you THEN have their way with the women and kill them too. If someone is committing or attempting to commit a crime, I sure as h*** aint taking their word for ANYTHING, but then again, ya know ALL criminals are honest, just misunderstood.... The law should damn well see it as JUSTIFIABLE defense, and if they dont OH WELL. Id rather be sitting in jail for XX years knowing I saved my wife a daughter from a life of hell-designed nightmares and countless therapy sessions.

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

No warning draw and either empty the clip or wheel.

Thats my plan every time .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i normally dont go to the gun first in many situations but i believe anyone against these kind of odds who is armed would be a fool not to...regardless of your self defense skills you are putting yourself in a less than hopeful situation against multipleattackers...you are potentially exposing yourself to a beating and loss of your firearm once it is discovered...that i itself is a responsibility that must be considered...hmmmm...do i take a shot at fighting these guys and possibly losing my gun...my life and the life of my family due to a miscalculation on my part?...or do i respond with known deadly force and hope it backs enough of them off without too much bloodshed and my family is safe?...

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Agreed; about the time Mr. Mouth grew a third eye the others would start remembering that they had better places to be.

YEP!!!^^^^^^

They will all be sporting a third eye if I have anything to do with it

There won't be much of a discourse before hand.

"If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong.' They regard you as dinner."-- John Farnam
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Armed or unarmed, your moral duty trumps all.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Kill em, you may pull some time but you will still be a man and can look them in the eye. You leave them to that and you may as well just keep walking.

Louisiana allows the use of deadly force to stop a forcible felony, I don't necessarily have to prove that I was in fear of death or grave bodily harm. Either way, legality goes out the window in that situation. Do what you have to do to protect your family. If you go to jail for it, at least they are unharmed.

Reguardless of any law, no matter what state, no matter how much time I could get, im drawing, and loud mouth is taking a lethal dose of lead. Im in fear of there lives the moment the loud mouth finishes his sentence. If the others decided they want to be "hard thugs", or there armed and draw, im clearing a lane for my loved ones to escape through, and THEN im trying to stay alive. Im a very nice guy, and will do anything for anybody. The moment my family is in harms way, im a totally different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

I agree 100%! They have declared their intentions, the instant you begin your draw they know what's coming. If I don't see a$$ holes and elbows by the time the muzzle is up the hammer goes down time and again until I do see em, I am out of ammo, to wounded to stay conscious and fight or dead.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Administrator
    "They tell you that they are going to satisfy themselves with your wife and daughter and if I sit back and don't try and be a hero we can all walk away alive."

Oh....so they are violent gang rapists but, NOT liars?
    They rape women and innocent children but, they always tell the truth.
    What would make you think that they would allow any of you to walk away alive?

As far as I'm concerned in that scenario there is only one way to guarantee that your family walks away alive.
    And that would be if you win and they lose.

Shoot the ugliest one first.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Verbal threat against family. Im not to concerned with the legality of shooting them all. Still Florida you're covered pretty much totally.
    Im not too up on the draw and warn at that kind of situation, its already gone from potentially dangerous to lethal threat level in my mind.
    I agree with you, I pull and shoot, by giving a warning you are opening up a situation where your wife or daughter can be grabbed and used as a hostage - when the first one is hit the others will normally scatter.
    Glock 19 & Glock 26
    Retired USMC
    Dept of State Diplomatic Security
    Baghdad, Iraq

I would be within the law to use my pistol in NC. Also, given the number of assailants, I would be pleased that I decided to get a Glock 26 instead of a snubbie.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Florida allows deadly force in the case of a "forcible felony(including rape)," which I'm sure would fit this case. That includes in defense of others.

I would draw (use of deadly force by law), warn, and shoot at the first sign of an attack. There's NO doubt I'd protect my family--at all costs, physically or legally.
    Good plan. I might not get the verbal warning out depending how fast things are going south. I'd also go for the nearest threat.

Love Floridas laws. Especially the castle doctrine! I'll be retiring back down there in 10 years to Clearwater!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Would anyone seriously sit there and do nothing?

I'd say a good 99.9999% of any of us would at least go down swinging.

Me, I give no warnings, no threats, just gunfire. A lot of gunfire.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links