What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The warning would be my first shot...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

The warning would be my first shot
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

2. Remove Ads

I'd say, "I appreciate the warning dirtbag" as I'm drawing my pistol and preparing to fire on the first dirtbag that twitched in the wrong direction.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

What I Would NOT do:

1. Spend a lot of time in not-so-public places that seemed shady
    2. Let them get close if I can help it
    3. Let them do what they want
    4. Flash my gun (still in my waistband) so they can see it and decide whether they can jump me before I draw

What I would do:

Draw and aim at the closest one of them while my wife pulls her weapon, too. Concurrently, in command voice, yell continually "get on the ground! Get on the ground!"

Whoever goes for a weapon or attempts to approach is the first to die. We may have guns, but at close range and outnumbered, they can be taken from us. I wouldn't wait to find out whether they could be successful if they approached. If it's possible to retreat, then we do so guns drawn.

I seriously don't want to have to shoot someone in front of my kids if it's at all avoidable. This wouldn't cause me to hesitate when in the thick of it, just makes me more likely to make a tactical retreat if possible than stick around for a while waiting for the cops to arrive and arrest them.

If drawing the weapons caused them to flee I would not pursue. At the first moment it became tactically sound to do so one of us would call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    What I Would NOT do:

1. Spend a lot of time in not-so-public places that seemed shady
    2. Let them get close if I can help it
    3. Let them do what they want
    4. Flash my gun (still in my waistband) so they can see it and decide whether they can jump me before I draw

What I would do:

Draw and aim at the closest one of them while my wife pulls her weapon, too. Concurrently, in command voice, yell continually "get on the ground! Get on the ground!"

Whoever goes for a weapon or attempts to approach is the first to die. We may have guns, but at close range and outnumbered, they can be taken from us. I wouldn't wait to find out whether they could be successful if they approached. If it's possible to retreat, then we do so guns drawn.

I seriously don't want to have to shoot someone in front of my kids if it's at all avoidable. This wouldn't cause me to hesitate when in the thick of it, just makes me more likely to make a tactical retreat if possible than stick around for a while waiting for the cops to arrive and arrest them.

If drawing the weapons caused them to flee I would not pursue. At the first moment it became tactically sound to do so one of us would call the police.
    You said it for me, +1..

In KY, I don't have to warn them.

They already did that when they announced their intentions. Once that is established (and witnessed by the family), I would draw and proceed to eliminate the threat one at a time.

I'd sleep well, too...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Kind of raises the question of Tactical Priority (closest or largest threat first - double/triple..., then move on) VS. Tactical Sequence (Everybody gets one serving, before anybody gets seconds)

Not a big fan of TS, but I can almost see the need for it here.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Give a loud warning, draw, tell my family to go to safety, but good luck with the little lady she can outdraw me on somedays and she will tell the where to go.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Give a loud warning, draw, tell my family to go to safety, but good luck with the little lady she can outdraw me on somedays and she will tell the where to go.
    i got a laugh out of this one...i could only imagine this scenario...wife draws and knocks a guy down before husband...husband jumps out of his skin when he hears the gun go off because he just wasnt expecting it so quick...turns and looks at his wife as the other guys turn tail and haulass...she just looks at him and says..."what?..you had to figure out if you wanted to sit and watch?"

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    As said before in this thread, the threat is present at this time and will constitute shooting on my part....Oh my wife carries also, so there would be alot of shooting on our part.
    [One Nation Under God]

Wife and I both carry and work as a team when out and about.

If we are cornered it will take some very determined BGs to face us down.

If they really want to push the point then,

BGs will not enjoy what was served to them as their lights go out.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Just say, "back off, I don't want to kill you, and you don't want to be dead".

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This goes right along with the MA/SDs.

First - They have threatened your family

2nd - The intent is there by surrounding you and your family

3rd - The means is there by the sheer numbers against you.

So the heck with warnings, the heck with anything, it's drop your family to the ground and open up on the two closest and watch the others scatter. My wife will carry also and she's testy about such stuff. I've taught her SD, but she's taught me about being mean LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Mic
    I agree with you. Legality very from state to state, some laws read that deadly force is justified in the treat of death and/or serious harm to ones self or others, some even include rape, in the threat of a toddler Im sure you'd be justified. Check you states use of deadly force laws.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    I'd answer that scenario but then I might be viewed as being trigger happy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I frequently go over scenarios in my head about what to do if a situation occurs.

If you, your wife, and toddler daughter were out and a group of guys surrounded you in a not so public area. They tell you that they are going to satisfy themselves with your wife and daughter and if I sit back and don't try and be a hero we can all walk away alive.

What would you do?? I know what I would do (draw and hope they back off if not you know how it would end for them) BUT how would the law interpret it? Our lives were not in danger (we wouldn't know that for a fact) so says the BGs.
    ... entering the discussion late ... however, my $.02 is that drawing my weapon in warning and anticipation is justified ... use or threatened use of deadly force is established by disparity of force ("group of guys") and stated intent to commit rape my wife and daughter (a forcible felony). In FL, if the group advances in a menacing manner they confirm/reinforce their stated intent, I have the right to use deadly force in SD and the defense of my family (others).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links