Gimme your wallet and your keys...or else!

This is a discussion on Gimme your wallet and your keys...or else! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always thought I'd throw my wallet/keys whatever on the ground, and shoot BG while he picks them up. If that's not legal, then I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimme your wallet and your keys...or else!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've always thought I'd throw my wallet/keys whatever on the ground, and shoot BG while he picks them up. If that's not legal, then I guess my second option would be to go for the gun and pretend I'm going for the wallet.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

want my car keys...wallet.......... mmmmm well here it is.......
    BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG>.. i just pulled my lcp out of my front pocket... then my XD9 is there.
    i thought it through and this IS what i WILL do.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey y'all: All good comments on a bad situation---however--and I understand the stated scenario is a what if----common sense is still the precursor to having this as a real what if. You plan your activities, your location and the time of day to avoid a one on one robbery. If, for some reason, you MUST be on a darkened street, alone, and no one else is around you should be very aware to the point that no one should be able to come up to you with a certain advantage. Yes it is easier said than done but my point is that common sense and awareness go a long way toward never putting you in the what if scenario. I am 68 years old and lived most of that time in NYC/NJ ,hardly the Garden of Eden of lollypops and love, and NEVER have found myself in this what if scenario and very rarely, if ever, allow myself to be put in a situation where the potential for this scenario exists. JUST SAYIN

VIP Member

+1 kelcarry

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey y'all: All good comments on a bad situation---however--and I understand the stated scenario is a what if----common sense is still the precursor to having this as a real what if. You plan your activities, your location and the time of day to avoid a one on one robbery. If, for some reason, you MUST be on a darkened street, alone, and no one else is around you should be very aware to the point that no one should be able to come up to you with a certain advantage. Yes it is easier said than done but my point is that common sense and awareness go a long way toward never putting you in the what if scenario. I am 68 years old and lived most of that time in NYC/NJ ,hardly the Garden of Eden of lollypops and love, and NEVER have found myself in this what if scenario and very rarely, if ever, allow myself to be put in a situation where the potential for this scenario exists. JUST SAYIN
    Similar age to you, and lived in NYC for many years. Never once found myself in this situation.

OTOH, the other day here in smaller town USA 5 thugs beat and robbed a man in front of his hotel. Probably caught him completely by surprise and busted his face before he knew what was going down. Needless to say, the fellow was out for a walk at about 1 AM. That of course doesn't forgive the BGs or shift blame to the victim, but it is a good example of how situational awareness includes knowing when and where you should be at certain times of the day. In this case, the small town atmosphere probably confused whatever sense of precaution the man had. (Or maybe he went out looking for something and found more than he bargained for. Just sayin.)

It gets dark at 5:00 pm now, so any night in a Wal Mart parking lot as you are walking to your car someone could be hiding between two cars and approach you as you're putting your groceries (or bags of ammo...LOL) in your vehicle. At some point, you are likely to be in a position in whcih you are not continuously scanning 360 degrees. It can happen that quickly. It's not always a dark alley at 2:00 am. Lots of times it's broad daylight. BGs have gotten very brazen.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

my gun is right by my wallet, so depending on the circumstances as to which one the BG may get to see first.

iwb
    Bug Dude,my Wal-mart has a buttload of 9mm ammo, target loads, but there is some to my surprise,I would draw, but lets not forget, that action beats reaction.

I've thought pretty long about this scenario. Mines a bit different as I sometimes have to go through parking garages after dark, and its very possible to meet someone coming off the elevator, or out of the stairwell when you have zero warning.

My thought on this is carry some cash in the front left pocket, and a P3AT or an LCP in the back right in a wallet holster.

"Here Mr mugger, heres some nice fancy green cash money, get your attention on it while i get my wallet out- BANG run BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG click click reload"

Quote Originally Posted by r0rtiz View Post
    The question that I would like to pose is: Do you give him your keys and wallet and pray that the BG will be placated? This seems horribly nave. Do you draw and find out who is the quicker/better shot? Do you feign some physical illness to disorientate the BG? Do you try to distract him by looking beyond him and saying, “Oh crap, who’s that?” in order to buy you time to draw?

It seems to me that skill and training go out the window in this circumstance. Is it blind luck/Divine Intervention at this point?

I think luck/divine intervention is going to have some say in the matter whether you give up the wallet or decide to draw, either way. You have to make a snap decision based on what your gut is telling you. Does he look like he wants the wallet more than he wants to kill you? Do you think you can get the gun out before he shoots?

This is a real tough decision, I'm sure. Personally I might consider giving up the wallet with the option of dropping it/ tossing it at his feet. If he looks down to retrieve it and I feel he isn't done with me yet I might consider retreating and drawing, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It depends on the location is the guy in arms length? we used to practice gun disarms in a martial arts class I attended and even when the training dummy knew we were going to be disarming him I could always knock the gun off line before dude was able to shoot.

The biggest mistake people make W/ guns is they ASS U ME that just because they have a gun you will comply. when you don't, or it looks like you are but the wallet you're reaching for is a gun it takes the brain a second to catch up. Action almost always beats reaction.
    I have to agree with the logic of reaching for your "wallet" and producing a gun instead. It would take the BG about a second to realize its not a wallet in your hand and then another half a second to realize that he needs to duck or fire. Hopefully if you decide to take this approach you can make the draw aim and fire on target in that time. Now its a level playing field and hopefully you are better trained to move and shoot.

EdC
    If I'm alone, my mindset is to distract/move and draw. If I'm with a friend or loved one, I don't know, it would depend. I'd probably give up the wallet and hope for the best. That's my best guess.

If I'm with someone I don't like, I guess I could use 'em for cover.

Take the keys.

Please...

I have them attached to the sheath of an emerson lagriffe.

It's nice when someone takes the sheath of the knife off for you.

I've spent some time thinking about this and come to the following conclusion

If I submit I may die, and my survival will be based entirely on the good-will and sanity of the mugger

If I fight I may die, and my survival will be based partially on my speed, skill and ingenuity.

I will hands down trust my own ability any day if the only alternative is placing trust in the goodwill and sanity of a man with a gun in my face
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

I've spent some time thinking about this and come to the following conclusion

If I submit I may die, and my survival will be based entirely on the good-will and sanity of the mugger

If I fight I may die, and my survival will be based partially on my speed, skill and ingenuity.

I will hands down trust my own ability any day if the only alternative is placing trust in the goodwill and sanity of a man with a gun in my face
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

i carry at my 4 oclock position too so i would reach for my wallet at the same time and drw but not fully extend my arm , i watched the outdoor channel and i learned some tricks from Todd Jarret , he is a very good firearm instructor.

Its very important to practice andtrain for these sitations-most important dont lose your cool and remain calm you should defeat the Bg with ease.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links