Gimme your wallet and your keys...or else!

This is a discussion on Gimme your wallet and your keys...or else! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read a post that referenced a story where a man in St. Louis was robbed at gunpoint, surrendered his wallet and was still ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just read a post that referenced a story where a man in St. Louis was robbed at gunpoint, surrendered his wallet and was still shot twice. One of the forum members made a comment about having a fake wallet in order to not have to throw down in that situation. Another forum member said that it would be embarrassing to die knowing that you could defended yourself. This seems to contradict much of what I have read and discussed with others when it comes to a defensive situation where the BG has already drawn his weapon on you. This certainly isn’t the Wild West were the I want to play, “Who is the fastest on the draw”. However, given the ruthless nature of the modern criminal, how would you react?

The question that I would like to pose is: Do you give him your keys and wallet and pray that the BG will be placated? This seems horribly naïve. Do you draw and find out who is the quicker/better shot? Do you feign some physical illness to disorientate the BG? Do you try to distract him by looking beyond him and saying, “Oh crap, who’s that?” in order to buy you time to draw?

It seems to me that skill and training go out the window in this circumstance. Is it blind luck/Divine Intervention at this point?

Please assume that for a moment your SA was negligent. We all know that this circumstance is easier to avoid if one is ALWAYS in a heightened stage of alertness. However, even the best of us slip out of SA every now and again.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Put out the "jazz hands", while talking him through me going for my "wallet" and draw as I reach for my wallet (I carry 4 o'clock), as I draw, I'm side stepping and firing. Shooting while on the move laterally is something I train frequently for. Would I come out on top? No telling, but I'd feel I have to take my chances.

Of course, these scenarios are easy to lay out what we'd do on here, but there's no telling how it'd go when the **** hits the fan. In the words of Mike Tyson, "Everyone's got a plan until they get hit in the mouth".
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

VIP Member
    +1 on ezenbrowntow's response.

I think my post is the one you're referring to in the OP? As previously stated, this is a lousy situation with a multitude of variables. However, for me - I have pre-determined that if somebody attempts to bargain with my life, and I have the means to stop the threat with lethal force, well then quite simply, "it's on". I'm hoping that if I am ever in this situation, this pre-determination on my part will allow me to spend less milliseconds thinking about whether if I'm going to engage (I am), and enable me to focus more on the execution of the event.

JMHO...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am not certain what i would do in that type of situation but am convinced that anyone who is willing to point a gun at someone and rob them is stupid enough to pull the trigger even if its just to see what happens...facing a gun in my opinion is a fight for your life and there would be some serious plans running through my head as i decide what direction its going in...

In a defensive situation GGs are always at a disadvantage. SA, profiency and be prepared to keep fighting if injured.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When the BG's got all the advantages (surprise, weapon ready, etc.), the GG seldom has any. In the end you gotta hope for the best and that all woks out. One of those split-decisions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Sitting here in the comfort of my home in front of my Mac with my two dogs, I can think of what I would prefer to do. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I would actually do. If someone pulls a weapon on me with intent; then I’m effectively ‘in fear for my life’.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I think self defense skills, such as Krav Maga, can come in handy in these situations. You learn gun and knife defenses, plus multiple assailant defenses.
    I had started Krav Maga classes, but have been on a feast or famine situation with work lately, so I had to put training on the back burner for now...
    I first heard about Krav Maga from a very similar discussion to this, check it out for yourself!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i am not certain what i would do in that type of situation but am convinced that anyone who is willing to point a gun at someone and rob them is stupid enough to pull the trigger even if its just to see what happens...facing a gun in my opinion is a fight for your life and there would be some serious plans running through my head as i decide what direction its going in...
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    +1 on ezenbrowntow's response.

I think my post is the one you're referring to in the OP? As previously stated, this is a lousy situation with a multitude of variables. However, for me - I have pre-determined that if somebody attempts to bargain with my life, and I have the means to stop the threat with lethal force, well then quite simply, "it's on". I'm hoping that if I am ever in this situation, this pre-determination on my part will allow me to spend less milliseconds thinking about whether if I'm going to engage (I am), and enable me to focus more on the execution of the event.

JMHO...
    yep!!!^^^^^^^^

I,m thinking along these lines also, "are these MOFO"S w/you??
    Draw /bang / run/ MAYBE bang again??
    Who knows for sure
    Situation sucks for the GG

Below read is the best we can hope for;;

You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for.
    Move in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.
    Mathew Courtney
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It depends on the location is the guy in arms length? we used to practice gun disarms in a martial arts class I attended and even when the training dummy knew we were going to be disarming him I could always knock the gun off line before dude was able to shoot.

The biggest mistake people make W/ guns is they ASS U ME that just because they have a gun you will comply. when you don't, or it looks like you are but the wallet you're reaching for is a gun it takes the brain a second to catch up. Action almost always beats reaction.

Well, when this same type of scenario happened to me..
    I fell victim to 'hope.' It worked out for me luckily enough. That was before I carried, and I cannot see the option to draw effectively in that situation(or my situation).
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

unfortunately u dont know how u would react untill that situation goes down.then there are so many other factors, are u with somebody, weather, how u react if u take a round and u are still on your feet. me myself if i think for a milisec there is no way out im going for the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Put out the "jazz hands", while talking him through me going for my "wallet" and draw as I reach for my wallet (I carry 4 o'clock), as I draw, I'm side stepping and firing. Shooting while on the move laterally is something I train frequently for. Would I come out on top? No telling, but I'd feel I have to take my chances.

Of course, these scenarios are easy to lay out what we'd do on here, but there's no telling how it'd go when the **** hits the fan. In the words of Mike Tyson, "Everyone's got a plan until they get hit in the mouth".
    or bit on the ear....LOL
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In a life and death situation... I will take my chances and fight. Rolling over gives up all control. I try to tell the lady friends this too. You almost always have a better chance fighting off a lone BG then to comply.

Most BG expect a sheep to submit. When they fight it catches them off guard since they have lousy defense. What I mean is they play all the cards (produced the weapon and intent) the victim hasn't. The BG doens't assume you are armed or willing to fight.

Also even if the BG does practice shooting they usually don't practice hitting a moving target. If you get out of sight picture moving right or left you have a much better chance of not getting hit then if you charge straight at them. The idea is to disorient the BG long enough to get away to take up defensive position and call for help if you are at home, or run far and fast till you are able to report the incident.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The biggest mistake people make W/ guns is they ASS U ME that just because they have a gun you will comply. when you don't, or it looks like you are but the wallet you're reaching for is a gun it takes the brain a second to catch up. Action almost always beats reaction.
    I agree. I am of the mindset that if I am armed and someone is pointing a gun at me, then I am going to try and do something about it. Now with that being said, I realize I am still the one with a major disadvantage but I would rather die trying to do something pro active than just giving him my wallet and hope he decides not to shoot me anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links