Defensive Carry banner

KCPD shooting (dash video, not graphic)

5K views 65 replies 49 participants last post by  mprp 
#1 ·
Kansas City Police Shooting Vid

full video:

YouTube - Police Shooting

KCK Officers Cleared In Deadly Shooting

Kansas City (CBS) - Kansas City, KS police released video from a police dashboard camera Wednesday of a deadly shootout.

A grand jury cleared officers of any wrongdoing in the Sept. 6 incident at a south Kansas City park.

Officers responded to a report of a car crashing into a tree at Isler Park, with the driver walking off.

Officer Eric Turner's dash-cam shows a short interaction, with the man casually approaching, then calmly raising a handgun, pulling back its slide and firing.

A second officer's dash cam shows Turner taking cover behind his patrol car door.

The second officer runs forward to assist, the suspect continuing to point a gun at them even after he had been shot and fallen to the ground.

The driver, 36-year-old exae chavez-gutierrez, died in the exchange. The officers, with 40 years combined experience, survived without a single gunshot.

The chief of police commented in his blog Wednesday, saying, "I am releasing this video to show you the dangers KCPD officers face daily. We also are committed to being transparent. No officer ever wants to kill another human being, but as you can see in the video, sometimes they are left with no choice."

Police say may never know why the man fired his gun.

They say a tox screen showed marijuna and alcohol in his system, but nothing else to explain his behavior.

#3 ·
Why did a grand jury have to clear these 2 officers? Is the video not evidence enough to prove they were justified in shooting this guy in self defense?

I noted how long it took the officer on the right side of the car to get his spare mag out and reload. This is real life proof that no matter how much you train, it doesn't come close to actually being in a real gun fight. Glad both officers went home that night.

#5 ·
Both officers showed remarkable restraint.
I agree. If he was still breathing with his gun in his hand, they could have turned him into swiss cheese.

I love the diving flip for cover of the officer on the left. I was sure he had been hit (a la hollywood style).

#6 ·
Dash Cam Video Of Police Shootout - Kansas City, KS

LiveLeak.com - Raw Dash Cam; Deadly Police Shootout

Warning: This video is hosted on liveleak.com which can contain some adult content.

That said, there were plenty of shots fired by the perp in the white T-shirt, and the officer at the front of the vehicle. Would like to see some stats on shots fired vs. hits, etc.

#8 ·
Gald that the guys are Ok. Did you notice the size of the Leo on left side and How long did it the other officer on right take to reload ? Understandable he was in panic mode but isn't it what Leo's train for.

#9 ·
One less dirt bag on the street.

Good thing the LEO at the back of the car didn't have to run. As out of shape as he is, he'd probably of keeled over by the time he reached the front of the car.

#10 ·
Hitch,

I did notice both. I didn't comment on the size of the second LEO because I didn't think it was germane to the topic at hand. That said, he looks to be extremely overweight, his department must have some pretty lax physical standards.

I don't know that I could reload any faster than that officer did under such a stressful, adrenaline-filled situation.

Did anyone notice if the second officer fired any shots at all?

#12 ·
By second officer I meant the heavyset guy at the back of the car.

#16 ·
What's with all the anti-police sentiment? Yes, police can gain weight - just like anyone else in what's essentially a non-physical job. Not so many skinny truck drivers out there either. If you drive a car most of the day and run strange schedules, you'll probably put on weight too. If it's anybody's fault, it's the department's. They ought to maintain fitness standards and provide time/requirements to work out.

#17 ·
It's a real good thing the BIG guy didn't have to go far to take cover or he would be taking a dirt nap. The second guy did seem to take a long time to reload.

#18 ·
How did the dash mount camera zoom to pick up shooter in white shirts face and his pistol firing and then zoom out to catch the whole scene?

Not being LEO I know nothing about such things.

#20 ·
I think the first part was taken from the camera from the other patrol car then edited to the second car to get the action that camera missed.

#19 ·
Some questions about 'conditioning', but two 'live' cops, and a dead perp...problem over.:congrats::congrats:

#22 ·
Thats funny; you guys are criticizing the speed of a tactical reload.

Not many people would even think to do that.

Yeah, the fat cop is fat. Looks horrible and unprofessional, donuts, etc blah blah blah...however, he did his job just fine in this particular situation.

#24 ·
Yeah, the fat cop is fat. Looks horrible and unprofessional, donuts, etc blah blah blah...however, he did his job just fine in this particular situation.
He came out alive and that's VERY GOOD. Initially, he fell over backward and put himself in possibly the worst possible position... on his back! Probably due entirely to his excessive obesity.
Come on Six, you know how serious his physical condition is to both himself and his fellow officers. I've done the job and I know an obese cop can not do the job properly. "Just fine", ah, no. Barely survived... probably. Yeah, he went home this time. Just sayin! :wink:

#23 ·
Might not have been pretty, but who went home after that and who didn't?
In then end, what else really matters?

ETA: I was thrown a bit by the speed display "000MPH" that pops up. Reminded me of the "KAPOW" etc. on Batman!

#25 ·
Heres the story.

KCK Officers Cleared In Deadly Shooting
Dash cam video shows a deadly confrontation in KCK.
Kansas City (CBS) - Kansas City, KS police released video from a police dashboard camera Wednesday of a deadly shootout.

A grand jury cleared officers of any wrongdoing in the Sept. 6 incident at a south Kansas City park.

Officers responded to a report of a car crashing into a tree at Isler Park, with the driver walking off.

Officer Eric Turner's dash-cam shows a short interaction, with the man casually approaching, then calmly raising a handgun, pulling back its slide and firing.

A second officer's dash cam shows Turner taking cover behind his patrol car door.

The second officer runs forward to assist, the suspect continuing to point a gun at them even after he had been shot and fallen to the ground.

The driver, 36-year-old Exae Chavez-Gutierrez, died in the exchange. The officers, with 40 years combined experience, survived without a single gunshot.

The chief of police commented in his blog Wednesday, saying, "I am releasing this video to show you the dangers KCPD officers face daily. We also are committed to being transparent. No officer ever wants to kill another human being, but as you can see in the video, sometimes they are left with no choice."

Police say may never know why the man fired his gun.

They say a tox screen showed marijuna and alcohol in his system, but nothing else to explain his behavior.Posted: 9:53 PM Dec 9, 2009 Less..

#27 ·
That was weird, I wonder if the guy was suicidal to begin with.

In the first sequence, he shoots at the LEO 3 times close range but misses (intentionally?), then engages him in conversation. Does not appear upset at all.

In the second sequence, it appears the LEO drives by the subject and he is holding the gun up to his chest/head.

I hope the second LEO wasn't shooting through the first LEO's car!

#30 ·
Anybody have the story on why the shooting occurred,was the guy a wanted felon or somebody call in man with a gun complaint.Officer #2 definitely used good cover Engine block and shot til the threat was stopped

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im a sailor... one of the ones that shot 20,000 rds a year of 5.56 and 7.62 and 45acp etc.. what i will say is under pressure you become animal like and lose alot of normal focus and dexterity however this can be mitigated with proper training. Not just a week of range training a year. Police depts need to spend a lot more money on tactical training and shooting drills for their officers.

Glad they came out on top.

#35 ·
Well when I look at these kind of videos my first concern is that the coppers or other innocents involved are alive and safe at it's end.

My second thought is how can I learn from this situation and apply better tactics for my own survival. Physical fitness is a serious lesson here and one worth pointing out. If mentioning it relegates me to the donuts joke crowd, well, so be it. I however never made any jokes as I am very serious about opportunities to learn how to stay alive. I am motivated to point out those lessons to others as I have been reminded of their seriousness.

The point is learning, that's all. :yup:

One thing I've observed is: I don't want to allow myself to get to be too fat to get off the "X"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.