KCPD shooting (dash video, not graphic)

This is a discussion on KCPD shooting (dash video, not graphic) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; full video: YouTube - Police Shooting KCK Officers Cleared In Deadly Shooting Kansas City (CBS) - Kansas City, KS police released video from a police ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: KCPD shooting (dash video, not graphic)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Kansas City Police Shooting Vid

full video:

YouTube - Police Shooting

KCK Officers Cleared In Deadly Shooting

Kansas City (CBS) - Kansas City, KS police released video from a police dashboard camera Wednesday of a deadly shootout.

A grand jury cleared officers of any wrongdoing in the Sept. 6 incident at a south Kansas City park.

Officers responded to a report of a car crashing into a tree at Isler Park, with the driver walking off.

Officer Eric Turner's dash-cam shows a short interaction, with the man casually approaching, then calmly raising a handgun, pulling back its slide and firing.

A second officer's dash cam shows Turner taking cover behind his patrol car door.

The second officer runs forward to assist, the suspect continuing to point a gun at them even after he had been shot and fallen to the ground.

The driver, 36-year-old exae chavez-gutierrez, died in the exchange. The officers, with 40 years combined experience, survived without a single gunshot.

The chief of police commented in his blog Wednesday, saying, "I am releasing this video to show you the dangers KCPD officers face daily. We also are committed to being transparent. No officer ever wants to kill another human being, but as you can see in the video, sometimes they are left with no choice."

Police say may never know why the man fired his gun.

They say a tox screen showed marijuna and alcohol in his system, but nothing else to explain his behavior.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    anytime, anywhere, even your local park.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Why did a grand jury have to clear these 2 officers? Is the video not evidence enough to prove they were justified in shooting this guy in self defense?

I noted how long it took the officer on the right side of the car to get his spare mag out and reload. This is real life proof that no matter how much you train, it doesn't come close to actually being in a real gun fight. Glad both officers went home that night.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Moderator
    The Grand Jury may have been standard procedure.

Both officers showed remarkable restraint.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Both officers showed remarkable restraint.
    I agree. If he was still breathing with his gun in his hand, they could have turned him into swiss cheese.

I love the diving flip for cover of the officer on the left. I was sure he had been hit (a la hollywood style).
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Dash Cam Video Of Police Shootout - Kansas City, KS

LiveLeak.com - Raw Dash Cam; Deadly Police Shootout

Warning: This video is hosted on liveleak.com which can contain some adult content.

That said, there were plenty of shots fired by the perp in the white T-shirt, and the officer at the front of the vehicle. Would like to see some stats on shots fired vs. hits, etc.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Glad the Good Guys are OK.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Gald that the guys are Ok. Did you notice the size of the Leo on left side and How long did it the other officer on right take to reload ? Understandable he was in panic mode but isn't it what Leo's train for.

VIP Member
    One less dirt bag on the street.

Good thing the LEO at the back of the car didn't have to run. As out of shape as he is, he'd probably of keeled over by the time he reached the front of the car.

Hitch,

I did notice both. I didn't comment on the size of the second LEO because I didn't think it was germane to the topic at hand. That said, he looks to be extremely overweight, his department must have some pretty lax physical standards.

I don't know that I could reload any faster than that officer did under such a stressful, adrenaline-filled situation.

Did anyone notice if the second officer fired any shots at all?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Hitch,

Did anyone notice if the second officer fired any shots at all?
    Oh yeah he fired quite a few. Watch it again and you can see the muzzle flash from his pistol.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

By second officer I meant the heavyset guy at the back of the car.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Gald that the guys are Ok. Did you notice the size of the Leo on left side and How long did it the other officer on right take to reload ? Understandable he was in panic mode but isn't it what Leo's train for.
    Unfortunately, no (for most) - check out the thread on LEO's and range time.

Looks like slim got off 3 rounds.

Notice how many shots were fired. LEO's were still giving commands for the offender to disarm. Either they missed or they do what is right....keep firing until the target changes form/is no longer a threat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links