car driving reckless in your neighborhood

This is a discussion on car driving reckless in your neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, he asked for it. Too bad he didn't have a plan past giving them hand signals and thinking they were jolly good fellows who ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: car driving reckless in your neighborhood

Ya get what ya ask for - confrontation

Well, he asked for it. Too bad he didn't have a plan past giving them hand signals and thinking they were jolly good fellows who would appreciate being reminded they were acting dangerously. Don't make yourself a target by your actions. Defending is one thing playing cop is another.

I get the occasional speeder and I can hear them before they get to my part of the street. I do go out to take a look at the car - They may be running away from something they just did, like stealing or mayhem, so I want to be able to ID the car. I have security recordings to help. I have never seen a multiple pass and that would surely lead to me calling 911. We have many kids on this street.

While I am more often armed than not I would not feel OK with giving them any kind of hand signals. There are too many young and dumb punks that may want to do just what happened here and even if they didn't they now know where I live! Since all the intel favors them I don't go looking to start anything. Coming back at 2am and spraying my house or setting it on fire while I sleep is too easy.

Besides, if it is found that your actions escalated the incident you will not ever get a "good shoot" finding by the authorities. Give hand signals and you just dis-qualified your use of the gun - even while standing in your own yard. Talking 'bout Texas rules here, ymmv where you live.

That said, around these parts one does not need a permit to carry open or concealed on their own property so saying one should carry around their property if they have a permit gives non-permitted people the idea they need one first. Plain ol' "One should carry when on their property" would be more helpful.

Nowhere in that story does he say the guy had a permit - wouldn't be surprised if he didn't own a gun at all. Being a bible camp kinda guy he probably often tries to inject himself in the wrongs he sees being done. In the light of him being an un-armed "enforcer" he looks even stupider trying to play street cop with punks who are already showing they flout the law and sensibilities.

Some peoples education come at a higher price than needed. This can serve as school for us.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I will never understand why people with carry permits,leave their guns in the house while outside doing yard work etc.You can be attacked and robbed anywhere,yet people still think it won't happen at home
    Since you're from Texas you oughta know a permit is not needed while you do your yardwork armed. Open or concealed - permit, no permit - you're good to go.

P.S. I get a grin from your sig line everytime I read it.
    Last edited by CommonMan101; December 20th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Well, he asked for it.

In the light of him being an un-armed "enforcer" he looks even stupider trying to play street cop with punks who are already showing they flout the law and sensibilities.
    BS!

Telling stupid kids to slow down is not 'asking for it.'

We can question his wisdom given that we live in a world with road rage and other acts of lunacy and violence. But, this is not inciting anything.

Absolutely, they were punks. Maybe he should have anticipated it and had a better plan than to be a punching bag. But, he did not cause this, nor ask for it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    BS!

Telling stupid kids to slow down is not 'asking for it.'

We can question his wisdom given that we live in a world with road rage and other acts of lunacy and violence. But, this is not inciting anything.

Absolutely, they were punks. Maybe he should have anticipated it and had a better plan than to be a punching bag. But, he did not cause this, nor ask for it.
    He gave confrontation - he got confrontation in return. What part of that is not clear? Didn't say he "incited" it - they were "excited" already and he stepped into it.

They were not in the midst of committing a felony. He was unwise to think they would take it nicely and start being safe drivers afterwards.

His action clearly escalated it from witnessing to involved. His action led to them stopping. Undeniably the truth. A lawyer prosecuting you for shooting them would ride that all the way to your jail cell.

Talking about when we are armed we have a responsibilty to not escalate things - he did - armed or not. They weren't targeting him before that moment. He asked for their personal attention and got it. If you feel comfortable enough to escalate things and explain it to a judge and jury as an OK thing then by all means go ahead. I will still think that is stupid but that's only my opinion. And yes, when you confront people you are asking for their attention - the attention of someone who doesn't give a flying flip about rules of decency anyways. Wise? Not in my book. Go ahead and play cop all you want. I'll read about your adventures in the news. We'll see what is really BS at that time. I suppose if you were this guy we'd be reading about three dead punks and you in jail. That is true BS.

This is a situation that only called for being a witness and alerting the authorities around here.

Bet it's always interesting when you're involved.

You come across as someone who is a fight looking for a place to happen.

Holy Cow Commonman101, I suppose you don't ever use your horn when driving because it might offend someone as well. That is just nuts, about the nicest way I can put it.

As far as the guy who was doing yard work. He didn't have gun, but what about what he was working with. Didn't he have a rake, a shovel, and weed eater, or anything else he could have used as a weapon against these punks. Heck a push mower can even be swung around if you so desire.

A 911 call would have been in order with the vehicle description and license plate, but I have no problem letting folks know when they are doing something in my neighborhood that is wrong. If they choose to come back by and do something more stupid, more power to them.

BTW, folks from Texas really need to learn what our laws are. If for some reason you think you would be in violation of the law by defending yourself from attackers on your own property when you have only made jestures to have them slow their vehicle down, you really need to learn what Texas laws are. This guy would have been justified in the use of force from this attack regardless of what his actions were prior to them entering his private property.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Is there any life left in this dead horse? Anyway, I live in a decent neighborhood where I actually see Bambi and Thumper by my side. Up until fairly recently I wouldn’t have bothered to carry in my yard. Then it happened. Some lot-lizards and tweakers’ moved into a rental (change we can believe in) and there went the neighborhood! I saw MS13 artistically painted on garden walls, etc. Eventually, they moved out because they either got arrested or stopped paying rent. Now I carry, period.
    BTW: Bambi now wears a shoulder rig while Thumper is still trying to get that damn crossbow down his rabbit hole.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I would do the same thing as your friend....motion them to slow down...and I would call the PD with a plate number.

However, the one thing I would do differently is carry. Had these punks decided to make a poor life choice by getting out of the car, I would have defended myself.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I would do the same thing as your friend....motion them to slow down...and I would call the PD with a plate number.

However, the one thing I would do differently is carry. Had these punks decided to make a poor life choice by getting out of the car, I would have defended myself.
    agreed, I'm not going to ignore them while they mow down the neighborhood kids on the street.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    He gave confrontation - he got confrontation in return. What part of that is not clear? Didn't say he "incited" it - they were "excited" already and he stepped into it.

They were not in the midst of committing a felony. He was unwise to think they would take it nicely and start being safe drivers afterwards.

His action clearly escalated it from witnessing to involved. His action led to them stopping. Undeniably the truth. A lawyer prosecuting you for shooting them would ride that all the way to your jail cell.

Talking about when we are armed we have a responsibilty to not escalate things - he did - armed or not. They weren't targeting him before that moment. He asked for their personal attention and got it. If you feel comfortable enough to escalate things and explain it to a judge and jury as an OK thing then by all means go ahead. I will still think that is stupid but that's only my opinion. And yes, when you confront people you are asking for their attention - the attention of someone who doesn't give a flying flip about rules of decency anyways. Wise? Not in my book. Go ahead and play cop all you want. I'll read about your adventures in the news. We'll see what is really BS at that time. I suppose if you were this guy we'd be reading about three dead punks and you in jail. That is true BS.

This is a situation that only called for being a witness and alerting the authorities around here.

Bet it's always interesting when you're involved.

You come across as someone who is a fight looking for a place to happen.
    And you all wonder why our court systems are in the shape they are, UNBELIEVABLE.

What was the saying, it takes a community to raise a child, what happened to that. Yes, just get out your paper and pen, write down the tag number, and call it in, the kids are watching you do this, after the nice officer stops them, they will come over and give you a welcome to the neighborhood party, maybe bring you over a nice cake.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I don’t know guys. I use to approach some people about the speed on the street and do the same old ‘slow-down’ hand gesture. These days I don’t think so, as it could get ugly, especially if you’re carrying and they decide to physically challenge you. I would really hate to explain how I inadvertently provoked a shooting. I think I would just do as others have mentioned, call the law and let them deal with it.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont think telling kids to slow down is asking for confrontation but in todays world i can see where it could result in it...i would geture to slow down and walk inside to call the police with a plate number...if i were rushed on my front lawn and i had a rake in my hand thered be a group of teens spitting out bamboo tines all over the yard..they might get the better of me in the end but theyre gonna have scars to prove they were there.....
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 20th, 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: too much info

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Call the LAW. Let them handle it.
    +1! I had a similar situation in the summer of 2008 at my Mom's trailer park in Colorado. A guy was driving wrecklessly in an old (big) Suburban, running through chain link fences, into street signs, gas meters and cars. I called 911 and followed him - giving details. I lost him, then found him again, just in time to see him hit an elderly woman and slam her body into a parked car. He threw it in reverse and tried to hit me. He backed up into the victim's gas meter and the rush of natural gas hissing in the air was incredible! His rear axle was hung up on the (now) broken gas meter and the engine was still racing.

An off duty deputy (lived in the park) arrived and asked for assistance. I helped him secure the BG and the scene. The deputy shut off the motor and I used a fire extinguisher to douse the deck (now flooded with gasoline) and the meter. We held the BG until the city boys and the fire department arrived.

Apparently, the BG was driving through the trailer park trying to run over his girlfriend and kill her. He was well beyond drunk and totally devoid of remorse. The elderly lady who was hit had more bruises on her body than pale skin. She spent a week in the hospital and either died or moved as family members were clearing out her trailer shortly thereafter.

As often happens, the girlfriend was defending this dumba$$ and telling all who could hear what a great guy the BG is. I've not been subpoenaed. The off duty deputy said I could have shot him when he tried to make a run at me. I told him I didn't want too with the natural gas spewing into the air. That would have been one heck of a muzzle flash!

ADD: Events can quickly unfold. At first, I thought the guy was just in a hurry to get out or was suffering from a medical issue. I did what I thought was prudent - I called 911. The dispatcher asked for details, direction, etc. I chose to follow to provide further details for 911. The off duty deputy arrived at the elderly woman's unit at the same time I did and asked for help immediately upon exiting his vehicle. This event was something I didn't anticipate, envision or think about. It happened and I reacted. I don't yell at kids driving through the neighborhood even though I am carrying. I call 911 and let them handle it and provide as much detail as I can.
    Last edited by sniper58; December 20th, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

We had two over sized kids in our neighbor hood doing the same thing and then shooting the bird to any one who asked them to slow down. This car also didn't have a muffler.A neighbor in our block finally got fed up after several days of this and walked up to the car window and shot several times into the car hitting the driver. After several shots were fired the driver was hit only once but was lucky and survived.To this day no charges have been filed and this happened a year ago The cops think they know who did it but have failed to prove it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i dont think telling kids to slow down is asking for confrontation but in todays world i can see where it could result in it...i would geture to slow down and walk inside to call the police with a plate number...if i were rushed on my front lawn and i had a rake in my hand thered be a group of teens spitting out bamboo tines all over the yard..they might get the better of me in the end but theyre gonna have scars to prove they were there.....
    Morning bladenbullet,
    I don’t have your unique skill-mix so I have to fallback due to impairment and age. When I was younger, I would just pull the driver out through his car window. Unfortunately, that’s no longer considered politically correct. Still, I like the whole idea of the 'time-out' rake.
    ~ Stephen King

I carry on my property all the time. People speeding in my neighborhood get the SLOW DOWN treatment. There are to many kids around. We had a child hit and killed a few years back. If approached by the PERPS i would act... I can see both sides of this issue, but really folks, you live in a neighborhood with a 25 mph speed limit, and someone rolls by at 50.. You have a responsibility to your neighbors and the kids.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links