car driving reckless in your neighborhood - Page 3

car driving reckless in your neighborhood

This is a discussion on car driving reckless in your neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf Holy Cow Commonman101, I suppose you don't ever use your horn when driving because it might offend someone as well. That ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Holy Cow Commonman101, I suppose you don't ever use your horn when driving because it might offend someone as well. That is just nuts, about the nicest way I can put it.

Of course I do. In those moments I am responding to a real danger being imposed on me personally before I even honk. I am quite the "honker" when needed. But I don't run around trying to make everybody behave. That would be nuts. He was in a "be a good witness and call the cops situation" beforehand.

Doing this armed and ending up shooting them may come back to bite you harder than you imagined. That's all I'm saying.

Some of you need to consider that your posts on this may be used against you in a court of law showing that you have a propensity to see your armed status as a license to impose your will on others or be a vigilante. Would you be willing to be so confrontive without you being armed? This is supposed to be about defense of life - not enforcement of your impromptu judgement of what's right.

Best thing I've ever read about this subject is "I don't go anywhere with my gun that I wouldn't go unarmed." Think about it.

A one time speeder may be driving a family member to the local emergency room. Are you a psychic or do you just assume every speeder is worthy of trying to be stopped at all costs?

If you were on the road and saw a speeder coming up behind you then did what you could to thwart him you may be sued for impeding a life-saving effort.

So much for interjecting yourself with your "righteous" intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    But I don't run around trying to make everybody behave.

Telling someone to slow down hardly qualifies as 'running around making everybody behave.'

Some of you need to consider that your posts on this may be used against you in a court of law showing that you have a propensity to see your armed status as a license to impose your will on others or be a vigilante. Would you be willing to be so confrontive without you being armed? This is supposed to be about defense of life - not enforcement of your impromptu judgement of what's right.

A gesture to slow down is neither attempting to impose your will or be a vigilante.

A person who is clearly endangering others by wanton speeding is NOT impromptu judgment on what is right.

Best thing I've ever read about this subject is "I don't go anywhere with my gun that I wouldn't go unarmed." Think about it.

He was standing in his own yard.

A one time speeder may be driving a family member to the local emergency room. Are you a psychic or do you just assume every speeder is worthy of trying to be stopped at all costs?

He went past at least twice according to the OP.

If you were on the road and saw a speeder coming up behind you then did what you could to thwart him you may be sued for impeding a life-saving effort.

Try to use logic to explain how a 'slow down' gesture is impeding anyone.

So much for interjecting yourself with your "righteous" intentions.
    You have an amazing perspective on things...
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 20th, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: underline my comments
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Still, I like the whole idea of the 'time-out' rake.
    Now that was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    You have an amazing perspective on things...
    Dude. If you slowed down enough to read with comprehension you'd see that I was giving other instances to apply the logic to. Not all I said was specificly about that story. Most of what you underlined of my words were not about that story. Yet, If you think telling someone to slow down is not telling them to behave then we really have no common ground to talk on. To me, you've jumped the shark on that one.

I guess some people need to have things spelled out for them:
    I was talking about the philosophy of appropriate responses in general. If it applies to one it should apply to all. Would you tell a group of loudmouths in an eatery to can it and try to make them pay a price for their boorishness? Or just leave and take your patronage to another restaurant if a manager doesn't handle it after telling him? Should I expect another short-circuted answer that the guy in the story wasn't in an eatery but in fact in his own yard?

I told people to think about what it means when someone said: "I don't go anywhere with my gun that I wouldn't go unarmed". You did not think about it, obviously. You either chose to make it about that specific scenario or you have mental limitations on contemplating philosophical ideas and what they may mean when applied. I'm going to guess this philosophical exercise will still be lost on you because you seem to be committed to arguing more than discussing with a goal of understanding.

You are itching for a fight. You're quite a hothead. I can only hope someone doesn't die needlessly from your over-reactionary ways.

IMO you anger a little too quickly for an armed citizen.

Post responses all you want to this. I'll not answer so you can feel superior by having the last word. Deal?

I'm out of this thread. Twist, skew and mis-understand what you want but my words don't all say what you've accused. So be it.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Jay should have been armed.
    A group of teens carrying out an attack is definitely a time one would/could be fearful for his life...I'm just sayin'...

I have yelled for a few cars to "Slow down, we have lots of young kids playing around here."
    If a car of young thugs stopped a few houses down and rushed me...they would be met with enough force to...
    1.) Stop the attack and make a decision to leave
    2.) Stop the attack...

Using force is not something I want to do, but neither do I expect to be beaten to a pulp on my own property...or worse, have them follow me into the house...I'm too old to be in a race for the front door.
    Be fearful of life or "GREAT BODILY HARM" which was the case since he ended up in the hospital. I know in Arizona, that would be a legal shoot
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

LOTS of children play in my 'hood. Reckless speeding, or speeding in general, will get a hand motion and a raised voice to it slow down. Any behavior other than slowing down gets a phone call to the police. I've already seen me do it.

Getting out of the car will be bad for them and me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    We spend most of our time on our place. When in the house or outside, I always have a pistol. If I am in the woods working, I take a shotgun. I am too old to run and the dog is warning system size, not protective size. Never screw with the elderly, our escape options are limited so you are more likely to get shot than to see our heels.

I'm also getting to old to be doin' much sprinting away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    As soon as those guys stopped the car, my hand is going to be close to my gun. If I don't have it, I'm going in the house tuit de suite and calling the cops...

And a group of hoodlums is not getting within 15 feet of me in that circumstance... he should have been making some space...
    YEP^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Be fearful of life or "GREAT BODILY HARM" which was the case since he ended up in the hospital. I know in Arizona, that would be a legal shoot
    Same in Mi.^^^^^^^^^

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"And I customarily carry a weapon and a cell phone when doing yard work, though (truth be told) my reason is more for being able to shoot at a crazed cow or call my wife if I were to slip and hurt myself."

Man it sucks getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Doing this armed and ending up shooting them may come back to bite you harder than you imagined. That's all I'm saying.
    Really, can you tell me any reason why somone coming into your yard and assaulting you, regardless of what you did before hand that didn't meet the standards for them to use physical force to protect themselves would land you in any trouble? I would like a response based on Texas law, since that is where both of us live, or any court case you can provide. I can stand on my head, make any jestures, call out whatever words I want to and there is no justification for anyone to enter my property and physically assualt me. If they attempt to, I am fully within the law to use force to stop them.

Do you really think that those of us that say we would motion for the driver to slow down, would not do it without our guns? Where has anyone said that. Where do you get the impression that anyone who said they would jesture to slow down has any desires to be a vigilante? Reading a bit too much into things I feel.

Ok, the guy was in his front yard, I think this applies to this scenario, even for those that would jesture to slow down. You should "think about it"

Would of, could of, should of, what the heck at all costs, really the guy jestured to slow down, he didn't run in the road and make a roadblock or chase the guy around in his car. You would be better served by sticking the information in the original post.

So much for interjecting yourself with your "righteous" intentions
    Again, the guy made a simple jesture, stop adding to what people post with your own nonsense about what you think people are willing to do. None of this has been posted about being righteous or impeding life saving efforts. The person in the original post was repeatedly speeding around the same neighborhood, not on his way to the hospital. Not even close. Try to stay focused on the topic posted about.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Caution Children Playing Signs - 2 Pack : Target

$16.99 at Target. Guaranteed to stop speeders in your neighborhood (yeah, sure it is). Even has a little label on the inside that says you can shoot people who disobey the sign (yeah, sure it does).
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Call the LAW. Let them handle it.
    May I add ALWAYS have a weapon on you. My 36 snub ia always on when I'm awake.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Caution Children Playing Signs - 2 Pack : Target

$16.99 at Target. Guaranteed to stop speeders in your neighborhood (yeah, sure it is). Even has a little label on the inside that says you can shoot people who disobey the sign (yeah, sure it does).
    yeah...but if the driver was transporting a relative to the emergency room...slowed down because of the sign and they died you could be in trouble for impeding an emergency situation or something...

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I would do the same thing as your friend....motion them to slow down...and I would call the PD with a plate number.
    I would've done this and then walk inside and get my gun just in case. Staying outside afterwards unarmed is a sign of an inflamed ego or stupidity, or just plain ignorance to reality of these types of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I carry in my yard (mowing, yard work, playing with the kids, shovelling snow, etc.) for this reason. Our neighborhood is one road in about a mile long with a culdesac at the end. There are tons of young kids playing outside and we've had a couple cars speeding. Many of my neighbors have stopped cars and told them, called the PD, had signs put up, and even had the radar speed display thing brought out. I've thought about getting little orange cones and yellow children "slow down, children at play" signs to put out at the corners of our yard. I'm too old to fight and too slow to run, and that's why I always carry a gun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

about 17 years ago we lived in Waco, Texas and had a teen that would hot rod down our street, I was out working on my jeep when I heard him coming down the street and I yelled to him to slow it the f*** down, got flipped off by him - I had wanted him to stop so we could have a talk - at that time I did not keep any weapons in the house, the very next day he comes by stops in front of my house and does a peel out, this went on for a week until I got his license plate and make. called the local LEO and filed a report - was told that there was not much that the LEO could do if he did not see it himself but said he would look into it and gave me his number, the next day the kid did it again, called the LEO - did not hear the kid again on our street and the LEO was nice enough to stop by one day about 2 weeks later to let me know that he talked to the kids father who proceeded to take the keys and sell the car (he already had 2 tickets on his record and I guess the father was fed up).

It is sad how things have changed - it was not that long ago but you did not worry that much about getting jumped.

I have 2 teenage boys with cars of their own and I let them know that the first time they get a ticket or a LEO shows up about a complaint then they can kiss their car goodbye.
    Glock 19 & Glock 26
    Retired USMC
    Dept of State Diplomatic Security
    Baghdad, Iraq

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links