car driving reckless in your neighborhood

This is a discussion on car driving reckless in your neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jimtem ... the scenario is [this]: What does a person do with teens acting reckless in the neighborhood? IMHO, take protective/defensive measures ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: car driving reckless in your neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    ... the scenario is [this]: What does a person do with teens acting reckless in the neighborhood?
    IMHO, take protective/defensive measures as necessary (e.g., cover/concealment), observe (e.g., description of vehicle including license plate numbers, number and description of occupants, and direction of travel), and report (i.e., to Law Enforcement).

The foregoing of course assumes that the activity has risen to the level where it is more then just a nuisance and therefore requires a response of any sort - the question being, do the actions present a real or imminent danger. It can be tough to control ones temper in a situation like this and fight back our natural tendency to gesture or shout. But one thing I learned in LE is never take any action your not absolutely committed to seeing ALL THE WAY through. In this case you have to look beyond the "two-hand wave" (or the single finger one) and ask yourself what might the driver do other then follow your sage advice. If you're not prepared for all of the potential outcomes (i.e., armed appropriately and defensively), then retreat or do nothing.

The bottom line is that it is best to think through such situations before they happen - be prepared ... seems I read that somewhere. BTW, sounds like you're already getting prepared by discussing it here, congratulations.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    OK, I agree with the disparity-of-force thing and the on-your-own-property part. But to what extent did his gesture contribute? I'm thinking of the principle I've heard that the defender had better have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to the altercation, or it would go much worse for him at trial.

I guess that calling 911 is the action to take, and perhaps get a license plate number: I would also think that a homeowner jotting down a license plate or staring at the car while on a cell phone would send a similar message as a 'slow down' gesture, too, and would be seen by a jury as necessary and productive rather than inflammatory.

And I customarily carry a weapon and a cell phone when doing yard work, though (truth be told) my reason is more for being able to shoot at a crazed cow or call my wife if I were to slip and hurt myself.
    I'm not an attorney and don't know the gun laws of your state, however, IMO the two-handed wave in this case or your actions in any other case would have to meet the reasonableness test; i.e., did you do what might be reasonably expected from any other rational law abiding citizen. In this case (and without further information), it doesn't appear that the gesture could be considered particularly agressive or provocative. Therefore IMO it would not be considered a aggravating factor. That having been said, I'll repeat something I said in another of my posts ... never take ANY action you are not committed to or that you are not prepared to see through all the wat to the end of the situation - ALL possible consequences having been taken into consideration. If you're not armed defensively, you should be more cautious. If you're exposed, seek cover/concealment and re-evaluate. If a loved one is more exposed (your kids in the street) protect them first gesture later, etc.

The real difference between John Q Public and us, is that we discuss and critique situations, John Q bahs and grazes and follows the other lemmings ... even when the wolves are clearly circling and on the hunt.

When Kids start doing stuff like that in my neighborhood, I start throwing small things like rocks as they pass by. Of course, it is done as they pass so they can't see me, and if they are foolish enough to stop, then they get an earful from me. God help them if they want to get physical.

This doesn't happen very often though, because my next door neighbor is a San Antonio Police Lieutenant who parks his car in front of the house when he is off.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    BTW, folks from Texas really need to learn what our laws are. If for some reason you think you would be in violation of the law by defending yourself from attackers on your own property when you have only made jestures to have them slow their vehicle down, you really need to learn what Texas laws are. This guy would have been justified in the use of force from this attack regardless of what his actions were prior to them entering his private property.
    Same in Florida - Castle Doctrine applies to the home and the Revised Castle Doctrine to confrontations in public - the gesture could not be construed as escalation and therefore, the actions of the citizen in defending himself against the threatened or actual use of dealdly force by the driver were lawful and did not require retreat. In fact one could argue that the speeding vehicle presented a imminent threat or real use of deadly force, and that the driver acted recklessly, negligently or intentionally. In this case the citizen's gesture was an attempt to use less then lethal force to de-escalate the situation. Likewise, the driver's response (stopping and attacking the citizen) constitue an escalation of the situation and further proof of the deliberate nature of his/her intention. Knowing the laws in your state as the quoted poster recommends is, IMNSHO absolutely essential!

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    When Kids start doing stuff like that in my neighborhood, I start throwing small things like rocks as they pass by. Of course, it is done as they pass so they can't see me, and if they are foolish enough to stop, then they get an earful from me. God help them if they want to get physical.

This doesn't happen very often though, because my next door neighbor is a San Antonio Police Lieutenant who parks his car in front of the house when he is off.......
    A woman used this approach to slow down a motorcycle about 10 miles from me. She is in prison now as the driver swerved into a parked car and died. It makes your behavior as bad or worse than theirs.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

When I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    ...snip

Some of you need to consider that your posts on this may be used against you in a court of law showing that you have a propensity to see your armed status as a license to impose your will on others or be a vigilante.

...snip
    Stuff like this is what I was concerned about:

The DA might not always see it your way - BayouShooter.com Forums.

That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    So the scenario is: What does a person do with teens acting reckless in the neighborhood?
    If there is an immediate and critical need to inform the driver of children nearby, absolutely go out and seek to get the children out of the way and/or slow down the driver.

If the driver and occupants decide to exit the car and come toward you, be prepared for it to turn into exactly the sort of life-threatening assault you just described. Handle it as you would any brewing problem that blows sideways right in front of you. Do NOT let them surround and touch you.

There have been a couple times I've engaged in situations like this, but it never blew up into a felony attack. But, by all means, I went into the situation armed and fully aware that idiots abound and you might well find one or more of them who choose instead to hospitalize or kill you.

Ideally, if your community is one in which police respond to such calls for assistance, then by all means call. It's about the only way to maintain your anonymity and avoid retribution/attacks as described.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links