car driving reckless in your neighborhood

This is a discussion on car driving reckless in your neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife's friend's husband Jay was doing some yard work in our quiet suburb and heard a car racing around the neighborhood, squealing tires revving ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: car driving reckless in your neighborhood

My wife's friend's husband Jay was doing some yard work in our quiet suburb and heard a car racing around the neighborhood, squealing tires revving high speeds. After a while he saw the car speed past his house. It came by again but was going slower, slower still being about 15 mph over the limit. He did the 2 handed motion for "Slow Down". The car came by again and parked and then the occupants, (teens), pretended to walk up to a neighbors house. When about 15 feet from Jay and 15 feet from Jay's neighbors door the teens sprinted towards Jay and beat the heck out of him. He ended up in the hospital for 3 days.

This freaks me out because a few times in the past I have motioned for cars to slow down in our neighborhood. I usually don't carry while doing yard work but maybe I should. And also maybe I should pick my battles and just call the police when teens speed around the neighborhood.

So the scenario is: What does a person do with teens acting reckless in the neighborhood?

Senior Moderator
    So the scenario is: What does a person do with teens acting reckless in the neighborhood?
    Call the LAW. Let them handle it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yep, let the law handle it.

On a side note, did they catch the two punks who did it?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Jay should have been armed.
    A group of teens carrying out an attack is definitely a time one would/could be fearful for his life...I'm just sayin'...

I have yelled for a few cars to "Slow down, we have lots of young kids playing around here."
    If a car of young thugs stopped a few houses down and rushed me...they would be met with enough force to...
    1.) Stop the attack and make a decision to leave
    2.) Stop the attack...

Using force is not something I want to do, but neither do I expect to be beaten to a pulp on my own property...or worse, have them follow me into the house...I'm too old to be in a race for the front door.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    As soon as those guys stopped the car, my hand is going to be close to my gun. If I don't have it, I'm going in the house tuit de suite and calling the cops...

And a group of hoodlums is not getting within 15 feet of me in that circumstance... he should have been making some space...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

We used to have cars race down our street all the time, then my wife grabbed the shotgun stood in the middle of the street on the phone with 911. Man did they slow down. When the cops got there she sent them to the kids house up the road. Never had a problem again. Couldn't believe my my wife did that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Yep, let the law handle it.

On a side note, did they catch the two punks who did it?
    I'm not sure. The friend of my wifes hasn't been to social with us since I didn't want my daughter to go with them to vacation bible school.

I think the worst part of the whole ordeal was that his daughters, ages 5 to 10 saw the whole thing happen from the living room windows, how traumatizing.
    Last edited by jimtem; December 20th, 2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: bad punctuation

I guess it's just their world and we are lucky enough to live in it? Man that kind of stuff ticks me off. If there are multiple assailants you get into disparity of force, and that is reason to defend yourself. I've started carrying more around the house. At least pepper spray, but lately I've got my KT p3at in my front pocket more. Figure it can help stop the attack or get me headed towards something better. I had it with me while I was out playing in the snow with the girls today.

It just shows how a simple gesture can get you in deep. Look at the road rage that starts with gestures, of course some of them are obscene but people are willing to do stupid things over a mere hand signal.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    We spend most of our time on our place. When in the house or outside, I always have a pistol. If I am in the woods working, I take a shotgun. I am too old to run and the dog is warning system size, not protective size. Never screw with the elderly, our escape options are limited so you are more likely to get shot than to see our heels.

I would have 911ed them right away - too many kids and people walking dogs in my neighborhood for jerks to play Indy 500. And had they tried to attack me, my four-legged associate would have eaten them alive.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I will never understand why people with carry permits,leave their guns in the house while outside doing yard work etc.You can be attacked and robbed anywhere,yet people still think it won't happen at home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

MJK
    The first time you noticed the speeding was the time to call LE. Hopefully they would have arrived in time to head things off.

Everyone makes their own choice and lives with the consequences, but for me being continuously armed provides another option for dealing with an unexpected encounter should it go south.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey y'all: Sounds like there are 2 pieces to this puzzle/discussion. They are recklessly driving--you yell at them and then call the law. They stop and get out of the car, you yell loudly not to come on your property, police have been called, and they should remember you have the means and will to protect yourself and your property. They rush you on your property--you have to be crazy not to believe that they intend bodily harm--you present your firearm and if that does not stop them right away you shoot them.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    OK, I agree with the disparity-of-force thing and the on-your-own-property part. But to what extent did his gesture contribute? I'm thinking of the principle I've heard that the defender had better have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to contribute to the altercation, or it would go much worse for him at trial.

I guess that calling 911 is the action to take, and perhaps get a license plate number: I would also think that a homeowner jotting down a license plate or staring at the car while on a cell phone would send a similar message as a 'slow down' gesture, too, and would be seen by a jury as necessary and productive rather than inflammatory.

And I customarily carry a weapon and a cell phone when doing yard work, though (truth be told) my reason is more for being able to shoot at a crazed cow or call my wife if I were to slip and hurt myself.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links