Interesting situation tonight. - Page 2

Interesting situation tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting situation tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How large is the town you are in? If 50K or less I'd go talk to the City Manager or a City Councilman. They can ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting situation tonight.

VIP Member
    How large is the town you are in? If 50K or less I'd go talk to the City Manager or a City Councilman. They can pass the message on to the chief. That way, you are starting at the top where there is real ability to get some answers without the participant (City Manager) having the concern over his personal reputation that the chief has.

It is usually pretty easy to deal with stuff in smaller communities. Once they get up to the 100K - 150K all you get is run around and lies.

If you take the advice someone else offered about asking the restaurant owner for the tapes or a copy, make sure you make it clear to them that your beef isn't with them. Otherwise, they won't cooperate at all.

It is possible, given the way this went down, that the restaurant owner was no more happy about what was going on than you were. They were on his business property, bothering his patrons, and he may have been completely out of the loop as to why they were really there and what they were really doing. Last thing he needs is to have his customers bothered. So, you might have a natural ally there if you play your cards right.

Let it go, nothing was damaged. In MI you have a duty to disclose a CPL to a LEO if you are approached by the officer in the course of his duties of if you approach the officer with some business. In other words have direct contact with the officer. The officer was probably making sure you were not intoxicated while carrying, and right or wrong, that probably falls within the reasonable range. Chalk it up to experience.

Guys I am just at a loss about this. To answer the question about when I am required to inform officers, I'm not really sure. But they never once asked to see my ID or even my CPL.

Yes it felt good to walk back to my seat, but there were tons of people staring at me like some criminal.

My part, I trust my GF with my life. As far as my sister, she has known I carry for a few years and his Army, so I highly doubt she would "rat me out." And her friend, he's a Marine, and had no idea I was carrying.

My coat was around the back side of my chair and I was facing the rest of the restaurant. It would of been nearly impossible for someone to see my gun.

If they were bothered with me drinking and worried I was intoxicated, then why the ruse with the wallet? Why take out the other guy first? Why ask me all sorts of questions about the wallet instead of going for my gun right after I informed them?

None of this makes sense. If I was to get in touch with a lawyer, what good would that really do? I don't have any funds to pay one, and I doubt I would win some type of civil suit for money. But I do feel like we were singled out and the situation could of been handled better. So write a letter to the department? Get the surveillance videos?

And if it was about the wallet, why not watch the videos first?! Wouldn't that clear up any unanswered questions in the first place?

I'm still reeling from this, and just not sure where to take it. Thanks for all the replies.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Population of the town is just over 7000. So small town cops for sure. I've only been to the town three times, and used to drive through it. If my sister didn't live up there, I'd have no reason to even go.

Sounds like you were targeted for some reason. The cops were beating around the bushes till they could get to you. Remember they are not there to protect you, just to gather info.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Officer, I do not consent to any searches

Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions or make any statement at this time.

Am I free to go.

Learn it, live it, love it

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Time to contact a lawyer and have a letter written...time to make cops with poor judgements (according to your story) realize the mistakes they may have made. Paper trails will eventually point out the 'door' to cops with poor judgements made on a regular basis.
    I wouldn't let it slide, but that's just me.
    Every department has a few bad apples and I suspect this wasn't their first time "rousting" somebody. A paper trail is a necessity and your incident might just be the tipping point I.A. needs to bounce these guys.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Population of the town is just over 7000.
    ♪Ta Da♪ -- Officers Larry and Moe playing at being CSI Detectives. There never was any wallet and the whole thing was a deep sea fishing trip without any conceivable sort of legitimate probable cause. The fact that they didn't waste their time watching videos proves this (they knew it would be fruitless).

Perhaps these two cops don't like your sister's friend (that was how it started, afterall) and figured they would harass you also to get their money's worth of fantasy for the night? Once you told them that you were carrying and had a sip of beer, they thought they had the biggest fish of their career.

You should hire a lawyer (offer him half of the damages/settlement). The lawyer will likely discover that there never was any police report of a missing wallet; no radio communications concerning a missing wallet; no further investigations that night about a missing wallet; no reports of intoxicated man with a gun; no suspects matching your description, and generally, not much trouble going on at all that night.

I think it was another slow night in Mudville and these two Ninjas probably make a habit of harassing strangers in their town. If you don't stop them, who will?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    write the PD letter expressing your concern the LEO were out of line.. and next time don't take the chance of carrying and drinking... it just isn't worth the risk of jail time... personal i would have never told the LEO's i was carrying unless they asked JMO
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The LEOs didn't have much respect for you . They should have questioned you outside away from the other restaurant customers. Why didn't the LEOS get a copy of the tape which could have given them a time frame of events.

Update

Come to find out, a guy did lose his wallet. It had $900 in it. Smart idea to have that much cash right?! Anyways he found the wallet outside in a snowbank, with the funds still in it. But that doesn't change the fact that only two of us were questioned and the way the situation was handled. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Ben

Sorry to hear about your experience. In Utah, we are not required to disclose our carry status to LEOs. Although if I was in a traffic stop I would, since the LEO would know of my permit if he ran my info.

I have had several conversations with LEOs at public events this year while carrying and if anyone noticed, no one said anything.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Come to find out, a guy did lose his wallet. It had $900 in it. Smart idea to have that much cash right?! Anyways he found the wallet outside in a snowbank, with the funds still in it. But that doesn't change the fact that only two of us were questioned and the way the situation was handled. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Ben
    And where, exactly, did you enter into the story, after he lost his wallet in a snow bank? Did he attempt to incriminate you, or were the police prejudiced for some other reason (like he was sitting at your table before your party arrived)?

I agree with your statement usmc3169. Not very smart to be drinking while CC'ing, even though it sounds like Jackle1886 was below the .02bac. No disrespect to you Jackle1886 but you may want to rethink things. Take care man.

If they smelled alcohol and knew you were armed, they had the right to investigate ...... check your blood alcohol level, disarm you, etc. To me, they had reasonable cause to be "safe" until they were sure. However, they also should have taken it outside but may not have wanted to.... because... you were armed, and if you reacted hostile manner.... they would have been at blame for not disarming you first.

So, that part ... I see as , "it is what it is" , and you really have little basis to complain. Move on and forget it.

However, I would have been asking my own questions right up front.. as to why you were being singled out on the wallet bit. If I was going to get ticked about something, it would have been that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links