Interesting situation tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting situation tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why would police be called over a "lost" wallet amd why would they respond even if they were called? Seems to me, lost is an ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting situation tonight.

Why would police be called over a "lost" wallet amd why would they respond even if they were called? Seems to me, lost is an individuals fault and responsibility and no potential crime had been committed since it wasn't reported as "stolen". Why question you and your friend only in the restaurant if it was reported as lost? Sounds like a lame excuse on thier part to shake you or your party down for some alterier motive. Perhaps someone there (customer or employee) had a beef with you or someone you were with. Hard to tell, but seems a little fishy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Placed in the same situation, i would likely write a very factual letter to the head of the PD recounting the experience from your point of view. All in all, everything came out OK, aside from a little humiliation from being treated like a common criminal for a few minutes. Sounds like the cops we bored and got a little wound up when you informed them you were carrying.
    As a Michigander w/ a CPL, i don't drink when i CC...even from the 4oz beer sampler. There are too many variables that could lead you to blow over a .02 and turn the whole situation into a nightmare. My wife and i went out to dinner on Friday night. She gave me an odd look when i ordered a water and i told her to just think of me as your armed DD. In the event that the SHTF and i was forced to protect myself, i would much rather blow a .00 on the breathalyzer.
    A letter would allow you to voice your opinion and perhaps, since it's a smaller town, your point might be heard. The officers involved might even hear it 1st hand. I've had nothing but good LEO interactions so far. Even as far as one of the DPD (Detroit Police Department for those out of state) officers complimenting me on how i handled notifying her at the beginning of our "interaction". It's luck of the draw, no doubt i'll have an imperfect run-in at some point.
    Good luck & stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Time to contact a lawyer and have a letter written...time to make cops with poor judgements (according to your story) realize the mistakes they may have made. Paper trails will eventually point out the 'door' to cops with poor judgements made on a regular basis.
    I wouldn't let it slide, but that's just me.
    +1, very unprofessional behavior by the LEOs in question.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

seems odd,

That only the two people in your party were questioned, and also how did you find out that "Some guy" lost a wallet. Was this the story from the police department?
    I would check with the restaurant to see if someone did report a lost wallet.

Did someone at you table perhaps bump into this guy, and later when he found out he lost his wallet he assumed he was pick pocketed?

You mentioned that this was a small town, is it possible that your table was the only table of out of towners?
    Maybe the police figured there is no crime in Kendal unless it comes from out of town.

The wallet being stolen story doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing some how someone noticed you were armed, saw you drinking (with no idea how much) and called the police.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Officer, I do not consent to any searches

Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions or make any statement at this time.

Am I free to go.

Learn it, live it, love it

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police
    NUFF SAID!!!
    S&W 3913 9MM
    Remington 870 Express Magnum
    Remington 721 30-06, Choate Varmint Stock, Harris Bipod, 6-24x50 Tasco Scope(Cheapo)
    Savage .17 HMR

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Next time this happens, make sure there's no beer glasses infront of you at the table, do not inform the officers you're carrying because its irrelevant to the situation, and do not consent to the breathalizer. Your not obligated to take it as if you were driving under the influence. Call the PD and make a complaint.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The part that intrests me the most is that two guys from your party were pulled aside and noone else. That would seem to indicate that someone implicated you as a possible perp, and if that was the case, I would want to know who and why.

As far as the officers behavior, I would say it's not something to freak out and file a lawsuit about, but it was definitly out of line, and a paper trail is always a good idea, even if it is just a letter to the PD
    Walk softly ...

Just a couple of observations.

1) You said you were unsure if you had to notify or not. Michigan law says yes, if the LEO is in the performance of his duty. Make sure you know as much or more about the Concealed Carry laws as the cops.

2) Don't offer to shake hands. They are not your friends if it's an official stop or call.

3) NEVER volunteer information. If they ask a question which can be answered with a "yes" or "no", answer it with a "yes" or "no". Otherwise, think about your answer and be as succinct and to the point as possible and answer only the question which was asked. If the questions get around to your actions, your answer should be, "I would rather answer in the presence of my lawyer," and then refuse to answer subsequent questions without your lawyer present.

4) Kudos for reholstering and re-assuming your seat. You were obviously well within your rights to do exactly that.

5) Lastly, and this is my opinion only, if you are carrying, don't drink. Don't even sample. Do not provide and excuse to get rousted. If this were to go to court, the cops could say they suspected you of being intoxicated and felt compelled to relieve you of your firearm. Just because it's legal doesn't mean its prudent.

YMMV, void where prohibited.
    Last edited by Divebum47; December 21st, 2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Not enought explanation in (3
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    quote Now, I understand that a LEO's number one job is to return home safely at night. end quote

No, that is not his number one job. He has a sworn duty that overrides his safety. If getting home safely at night is his number one priority he is in the wrong profession.

Regards,
    Jerry

Man cops are crooked IMHO. I haven't met one that I've liked yet. Just because you have a badge doesn't make you a bigger or better person. I'm from Georgia and what I've seen so far is that cops like to cause more problems than fix them. But on the other hand I haven't had a single problem with sheriff deputies, they deal with the important problems. Some of my best friends from high school went on to be city police or department of corrections and they took that route cuz they were too lazy to do anything with their lives. They've become butt holes since. I would def file a complaint and see where that gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrumpet1 View Post
    Man cops are crooked IMHO.
    This is an unacceptable generalization on this forum, and I do not appreciate this attitude. IMHO you owe several members here an apology.

I haven't met one that I've liked yet.
    Hmmmmmmm................

Just because you have a badge doesn't make you a bigger or better person.
    I think most LEO's would agree with you on this.

I'm from Georgia
    I'm sorry.........

and what I've seen so far is that cops like to cause more problems than fix them.
    Another generalization...............

But on the other hand I haven't had a single problem with sheriff deputies, they deal with the important problems.
    Hmmmmmmm????????? How do you define important?

Some of my best friends from high school went on to be city police or department of corrections and they took that route cuz they were too lazy to do anything with their lives.
    Another generalization, but what do you do that's so dad blasted important or demanding? You put your life on the line? You are in public service? Pray tell!

They've become butt holes since.
    That's a matter specific to them it appears, or you.

I would def file a complaint and see where that gets you.
    Why not find out the facts first?

Rock and Glock: Well first off I stated IMHO so no appology is required, notice the words MY and OPINION. Second off I said in Georgia not Colorado (the cops may be different out there). Third off the facts are stated in the OP's post, get on to the other people that are saying file a complaint. Fourth off the guys I grew up with were to lazy to do something else thats no lie (one of my friends that became a DOC pulled his gun on me and my friend one night when he was drunk). Fifth off they have become buttholes (I'm pretty sure you don't know these guys), some of these guys have since been fired from the force because they got drunk and recked 2 police cruisers and one Trail Blazer. Sixth off whats wrong with Georgia??? Seventh off the important problems are armed robbery, drug busts, disputes etc. (ie. not pulling you over for busted tail light and not turning on your flashers just to run a red light). And lastly there is no one person better than I am, I don't care what you do for a living. I really hate when cops use their "authority" just to hassle you. I can become a butt hole too, but I choose not to. With that being said, all of of this is from MY PERSONAL experience. I never once asked for somebody I don't even know to critique an OPINION. I find nothing wrong with my post.

I find nothing wrong with my post
    Whatever. I find it offensive, personally. To each their own.

Better off to ask questions, rather than answer them. What wallet? Why are you talking to me about that ? Why do you think I would know anything about it ? I know nothing...(if that's the case)..... now , can I leave ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links