Interesting situation tonight.

This is a discussion on Interesting situation tonight. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter The member is a responsible adult. The law states that his BAC has to be * .02 BAC limit or less ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Interesting situation tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The member is a responsible adult.

The law states that his BAC has to be * .02 BAC limit or less when carrying.

So...you guys want to jump on him because he tasted 2 Ounces of beer with a full meal + a glass of Root Beer & a glass of water?

If the law said that the maximum handgun caliber that you could legally carry in your state was a .38 Special - I'm sure that you'all would probably carry a .32 or a .25 auto just to make sure that you were staying well within the confines of what the law allowed...right?
    I can only answer for myself.

I don't really care what the poster does as long as it does not have a negative affect on me or the exercise of my "rights." I offered my advice, and stand by that. If you drink, don't carry. Same with driving. Regardless of the "legal" limits associated with either or both. It's a rather moot point if you are embarrassed in public, relieved of your fire arm and taken to jail because a LEO smells alcohol on your breath or associates the 2 oz sampler in front of you as suspicion of over-indulging. Regardless of what we like to think about the exercise of our free will, a LEO can cart any of us off to jail on a suspicion and let the courts and attorneys pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

My choice and my advice is to not drink anything when I'm carrying or when I'm driving. My life is complicated enough by accident. I'd just as soon put the odds in my favor.

If someone else chooses to do differently, that's a choice they can make. But every choice has consequences. Some are good, some are acceptable and some are less than good or acceptable.

Just sayn'
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2. Remove Ads

I thought at first the wallet was a ruse, and found later in the discussion, it was not. Being lost and then found in a snowbank outside with $900 sounds fishy to me... Makes for a good attention getter phone call to get the cops on the roll though.

You stated that you sat in the chair with your back to the wall and coat over the back of the chair. Then you say you visied the bathroom twice before the officers arrived.

I have to think, the officers were looking to speak to you, knowing there had been a report of a man seen, drinking and carrying a firearm. They just had to nail down which one.

Bad choices you made eitherway, I would chalke this one up and not do it again.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    I can only answer for myself.

I don't really care what the poster does as long as it does not have a negative affect on me or the exercise of my "rights." I offered my advice, and stand by that. If you drink, don't carry. Same with driving. Regardless of the "legal" limits associated with either or both. It's a rather moot point if you are embarrassed in public, relieved of your fire arm and taken to jail because a LEO smells alcohol on your breath or associates the 2 oz sampler in front of you as suspicion of over-indulging. Regardless of what we like to think about the exercise of our free will, a LEO can cart any of us off to jail on a suspicion and let the courts and attorneys pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

My choice and my advice is to not drink anything when I'm carrying or when I'm driving. My life is complicated enough by accident. I'd just as soon put the odds in my favor.

If someone else chooses to do differently, that's a choice they can make. But every choice has consequences. Some are good, some are acceptable and some are less than good or acceptable.

Just sayn'
    So you are willing to give up aspects of your life that are legal just to not be picked out by LEO's with a suspicion? Sounds like you are caving in to the ANTI whatevers to me. That's OK as long as your good with it but where will you call it enough. As far as I'm concerned their encroaching on my right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

I see where the OP did nothing wrong but to be at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong LEO's showing up.

If he had been consuming enough alcohol to be beyond state laws I would say he got what was coming but that is not the case here.

And for the cops to show up with a BS story and select him to question...... It's a sad day for all of us when it becomes accepted for this behavior to be OK.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrumpet1 View Post
    Rock and Glock: Well first off I stated IMHO so no appology is required, notice the words MY and OPINION. Second off I said in Georgia not Colorado (the cops may be different out there). Third off the facts are stated in the OP's post, get on to the other people that are saying file a complaint. Fourth off the guys I grew up with were to lazy to do something else thats no lie (one of my friends that became a DOC pulled his gun on me and my friend one night when he was drunk). Fifth off they have become buttholes (I'm pretty sure you don't know these guys), some of these guys have since been fired from the force because they got drunk and recked 2 police cruisers and one Trail Blazer. Sixth off whats wrong with Georgia??? Seventh off the important problems are armed robbery, drug busts, disputes etc. (ie. not pulling you over for busted tail light and not turning on your flashers just to run a red light). And lastly there is no one person better than I am, I don't care what you do for a living. I really hate when cops use their "authority" just to hassle you. I can become a butt hole too, but I choose not to. With that being said, all of of this is from MY PERSONAL experience. I never once asked for somebody I don't even know to critique an OPINION. I find nothing wrong with my post.
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but maybe you should keep your vehicle in legal condition if you don't want to be "hassled" by the police? Seriously, that's one of your complaints with the local police? And maybe if you exhibited a better attitude, they would let you off with a warning for these minor infractions instead of ticketing you?

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    So you are willing to give up aspects of your life that are legal just to not be picked out by LEO's with a suspicion? Sounds like you are caving in to the ANTI whatevers to me. That's OK as long as your good with it but where will you call it enough. As far as I'm concerned their encroaching on my right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

I see where the OP did nothing wrong but to be at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong LEO's showing up.

If he had been consuming enough alcohol to be beyond state laws I would say he got what was coming but that is not the case here.

And for the cops to show up with a BS story and select him to question...... It's a sad day for all of us when it becomes accepted for this behavior to be OK.
    You couldn't be further from correct on this. I choose not to drink when I carry, or when I drive. I advise others to do the same. It's a choice. I refuse to do something as a statement. You can choose to do what you wish to do and I won't call you names such as "anti" whatever. It's your choice. If that makes me an "anti" whatever in your eyes, you choose to deem me as such. I don't really care. I'm past the age where vanity, macho or other peoples' opinions about me matter very much. Reminds me of the old saying that, "unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes." I do what pleases me, I don't foist my views on others, I offer advice, and it's only that an offer. If it's taken or ignored, is not my problem. I spent 10 years, two months and eight days in the Military, including 18 months in SEA so that other people could make choices with which I disagreed. I'd do it again. But I also spent that time ensuring I would be able to make choices not popular with other people. So, if you wish, put me in a "category". Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, Mr. BugDude... I'm gonna have to say that your analysis is... Spot On!

Thanks for posting it! I was rather offended myself.
    Thank you...just calling it like I see it. I found the comments offensive based on my respect and appreciation of LEOs. My thoughts are if the attitude that has been displayed here is any indication of what the LEOs encountered, then no wonder his experiences have been bad.

Secondly, if he had spent a little time reading the forum before posting, he would have realized there are numerous LEOs that are regulars on this forum. Very nice and helpful folks. Just because people have the right to remain silent doesn't mean they always have the ability.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You couldn't be further from correct on this. I choose not to drink when I carry, or when I drive. I advise others to do the same. It's a choice. I refuse to do something as a statement. You can choose to do what you wish to do and I won't call you names such as "anti" whatever.

Read again, I did not call you an anti...

It's your choice. If that makes me an "anti" whatever in your eyes, you choose to deem me as such. I don't really care. I'm past the age where vanity, macho or other peoples' opinions about me matter very much.

You read far beyond my words to get to here.

Reminds me of the old saying that, "unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes." I do what pleases me, I don't foist my views on others, I offer advice, and it's only that an offer. If it's taken or ignored, is not my problem. I spent 10 years, two months and eight days in the Military, including 18 months in SEA so that other people could make choices with which I disagreed.

Thanks for your service, it is appreciated.

I'd do it again. But I also spent that time ensuring I would be able to make choices not popular with other people. So, if you wish, put me in a "category". Your choice.
    My point was, and hopefully it's will be more clear this time. I am not going to change MY habits, as long as they are legal and moral, to not be targeted by others for what I believe. That is MY choice and I don't expect anyone else to be compelled to to agree.

I was not attempting to put you in any category, it was more of a question of why refrain from legal activities. Two shots of beer on a full stomach is in no way creating a danger to anyone.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    My point was, and hopefully it's will be more clear this time. I am not going to change MY habits, as long as they are legal and moral, to not be targeted by others for what I believe. That is MY choice and I don't expect anyone else to be compelled to to agree.

I was not attempting to put you in any category, it was more of a question of why refrain from legal activities. Two shots of beer on a full stomach is in no way creating a danger to anyone.
    Much clearer, and I agree with your statement. I am not going to change my habits, either. My habit is not to drink while carrying and/ or driving.

Peace.

Much clearer, and I agree with your statement. I am not going to change my habits, either. My habit is not to drink while carrying and/ or driving.

Peace.

NRA Member

VIP Member
    HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM THE MI. STATE POLICE WEBSITE

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
    Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:
    First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.
    An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
    Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.
    Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    His or her driver license or personal identification card
    Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

He evidently did the right thing in notifying the LEO immediately,
    But it does sound rather bogus how it all went down
    This further reinforces my decision to NOT drink at all Will cc ing, and I will not go into those types of establishments.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
    Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Only the LEOs know what the real deal was. If they were shaking them down a little because someone reported a suspected CCW of drinking, then they should have just said so. No need to dance around the whole lost wallet thing if it was bogus. Who knows. Just be polite and professional and let them do their job and if you're not breaking any laws, they'll let you get back to your business.

We have road checks in VA all of the time. I'm obeying the laws and minding my own business and I feel compelled to make thier jobs easier by giving them what they need and answering their questions That gives them more time to catch the people not obeying the laws.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links