Crack head knocked on my door tonight

This is a discussion on Crack head knocked on my door tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The best thing that happened in our town was all the churches and charities went together and opened a Caring Center. Several people in town ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crack head knocked on my door tonight

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The best thing that happened in our town was all the churches and charities went together and opened a Caring Center. Several people in town had developed a mini-business of hitting every church and charity for handouts. Now, they are referred to the Caring Center which does have the resources and staff to take care of those in need. They don't get money, but they get food, clothing, utilities bill help, counseling, and connected with the appropriate government agency for help getting back on their feet. It has worked out great. The best part is the professional panhandler/druggie groups have left town.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The best thing that happened in our town was all the churches and charities went together and opened a Caring Center. Several people in town had developed a mini-business of hitting every church and charity for handouts. Now, they are referred to the Caring Center which does have the resources and staff to take care of those in need. They don't get money, but they get food, clothing, utilities bill help, counseling, and connected with the appropriate government agency for help getting back on their feet. It has worked out great. The best part is the professional panhandler/druggie groups have left town.
    Sounds like a great idea!

Thought about this situation a lot last night, and there has been some great advice in response to my original post. Thanks!

No matter how destitute I may get, I just do not picture myself knocking on stranger's doors asking for money. My lesson has been learned from this experience. As another poster stated, I am not opening my door for some one that I do not know personally. I have also decided to not give money to anyone like this again...

I will not stop being charitable or kind, however, I will no longer give any handouts from my property.
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; December 21st, 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: moon pie
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    What worries me as much is How did they know where you moved to????
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

No good deed goes unpunished . That being said I still help anyone I can , I just expect to get kicked in the teeth for my troubles .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Install a trapdoor to your dungeon.
    ......or a doggie-door for your "lil'Fi-fi".

EDIT: My wife was reading this post over my sholder and commented that you did good due to the fact that a 'desperte' addict may get desperate enough to...............(?)

"An alcoholic will steal from you and lie to your face about it, an addict will steal from you, lie to your face about it, AND 'help' you look for it"
    Mrs. Goldshellback, a.k.a. She-Who-Must-Be-Obayed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    ......or a doggie-door for your "lil'Fi-fi".
    Believe it or not, had the dog out on the porch with me one time when this crack head showed up. My doberman barked and growled.. and this dude walk right by him.

I have read in a lot of post about how having a dog is a good idea for home defense....yet I am convinced that a common house dog is only a small deterrent and not a real solution for home defense.

Had a buddy come over one night and my 85 pound lap Doberman started barking at him. My friend leaned over to pet him. Mojo (my dog's name), rolled over on his back and pissed himself.

Mojo has not been abused, he is part of my family. We almost view him as our second child. I guess socialized dogs make poor guard dogs.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    And now you know why they have "Please dont feed the animals." signs at the Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    No good deed goes unpunished . That being said I still help anyone I can , I just expect to get kicked in the teeth for my troubles .
    So very true.

If you get the game camera you might as well leave the cigaretts out there and get a picture of them being taken. Then if you want (or need) to get the poilce involved you have something for them to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    Believe it or not, had the dog out on the porch with me one time when this crack head showed up. My doberman barked and growled.. and this dude walk right by him.

I have read in a lot of post about how having a dog is a good idea for home defense....yet I am convinced that a common house dog is only a small deterrent and not a real solution for home defense.
    I've never considered any dog a 'defense' in and of it's self......but any dog is certinally a great part of a 'layered' defense. Your 'pooch' may be nothing more than a 'noise-maker', but that's a really good thing! Either way, I'll wager he's a GREAT dog!

Had a buddy come over one night and my 85 pound lap Doberman started barking at him. My friend leaned over to pet him. Mojo (my dog's name), rolled over on his back and pissed himself. .
    Man, That's funny right there....embarassing, but funny

Mojo has not been abused, he is part of my family. We almost view him as our second child. I guess socialized dogs make poor guard dogs.
    Your body language may or may not have played a part in his behavior, but he let ya know the addict was there......Good Dog!

Just keep a CLOSE eye on your stuff, addicts will never stop until they're stopped or they hit "rock-bottom". Stay Safe!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I agree with not giving hand outs from your home. I made this mistake a few years back when I young guy around 20 or so wanted to spray paint my address on my curb to help out with college. So I did and paid him 30 dollars. No problems until the next month he came back around and asked again and I refused due to he did such a poor job the first time and I had a feeling he was not doing it for college but to supply his bad habits. The next day as I was leaving to go to work I noticed my wife’s window was broken. Come to find out the guy that I refused the day before had not only broke my window had also got everyone in the neighborhood that also refused him. Luckily they caught him. But not before it cost me $600.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DADDY View Post
    I agree with not giving hand outs from your home. I made this mistake a few years back when I young guy around 20 or so wanted to spray paint my address on my curb to help out with college. So I did and paid him 30 dollars. No problems until the next month he came back around and asked again and I refused due to he did such a poor job the first time and I had a feeling he was not doing it for college but to supply his bad habits. The next day as I was leaving to go to work I noticed my wife’s window was broken. Come to find out the guy that I refused the day before had not only broke my window had also got everyone in the neighborhood that also refused him. Luckily they caught him. But not before it cost me $600.
    After answering the door with my hand resting on the .45 and telling him to never come back, I expected them to come back during the night and try to vandalize my property. The criminal element has a large advantage over those of us who are trying to make ends meet the legal way.

VIP Member
    Do they still make the exploding cigarette loads? A few cigarettes loaded up with them should discourage them from coming back!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Dean. As I child, my father was good friends with a minister who was known for his charity and helping the dispossessed and downtrodden. We all looked up to him. The minister ended up being robbed and killed in a hotel room where he was staying for a revival he was preaching at. No doubt opened the door to help some poor soul.

I'm not saying not to help folks. My wife and I actually took in a young homeless lady and helped her get on her feet. Felt God wanted us to do it. I'm sure you understand. Love always has a price and compassion gets you next to no earthly benefits. As a professional warrior and devout believer, I have often struggled with the dichotomy. It's best to rely on your faith to guide you, coupled with wisdom beyond ourselves. God never promised to protect us from foolishness (just read the Proverbs!), but there are times when the wisdom from above is foolishness to men.

I did an internship in college for the Salvation Army. It was our principle never to give money. When I see folks standing on the corner with a sign I hit the nearest drive-thru and then do a U-turn. It's hard to convert a cheeseburger into meth. (Though I'm sure some have tried!).

If someone comes to my door I always refer them to the city missions. This isn't passing the buck as I've done my time in human services and still give to help them.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by HardCorps79 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Dean. As I child, my father was good friends with a minister who was known for his charity and helping the dispossessed and downtrodden. We all looked up to him. The minister ended up being robbed and killed in a hotel room where he was staying for a revival he was preaching at. No doubt opened the door to help some poor soul.

I'm not saying not to help folks. My wife and I actually took in a young homeless lady and helped her get on her feet. Felt God wanted us to do it. I'm sure you understand. Love always has a price and compassion gets you next to no earthly benefits. As a professional warrior and devout believer, I have often struggled with the dichotomy. It's best to rely on your faith to guide you, coupled with wisdom beyond ourselves. God never promised to protect us from foolishness (just read the Proverbs!), but there are times when the wisdom from above is foolishness to men.

I did an internship in college for the Salvation Army. It was our principle never to give money. When I see folks standing on the corner with a sign I hit the nearest drive-thru and then do a U-turn. It's hard to convert a cheeseburger into meth. (Though I'm sure some have tried!).

If someone comes to my door I always refer them to the city missions. This isn't passing the buck as I've done my time in human services and still give to help them.
    Your statement is so true....For me however, when it comes to my wife and kids, these people get...GET THE !!!! OUT OF HERE. We all have to make our choice and will have to face our maker. My love ones mean more to me than my own life. I will not let them be victims.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links