Crack head knocked on my door tonight

Crack head knocked on my door tonight

This is a discussion on Crack head knocked on my door tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a guy come to my door tonight. He used the tactic of I need money for (insert dramatic reason here) as an excuse to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crack head knocked on my door tonight

Lightbulb Crack head knocked on my door tonight

Had a guy come to my door tonight. He used the tactic of I need money for (insert dramatic reason here) as an excuse to walk onto my property. I have no trespassing and beware of dog (85 lb Doberman) signs which are clearly visible from the street. Yet, this guy comes around about every two months or so with a new sob story looking for a handout. I take the blame for enabling this guy's behavior. I was foolish on several occasions and gave him money just to get him to leave.

Not long after giving him some money the first time, his mom started coming around using the same M.O.. Being a Christian...I felt it was my obligation to help anyone in need. So I would give them a bible tract and a few bucks. His mom came to the door one day saying how she needed gas money to go get her daughter who was at some hospital. My wife and I gave her $20...after she left, my wife went outside to smoke. The woman had stolen her cigarettes and lighter that were on a small table on the front porch. My wife was infuriated to say the least. We chose to forgive her for that, she seemed so desperate.

Several months later during a cold snap, they came knocking on the door again needing money for kerosene. I did not have any money at the time to give them, but I had some containers of kerosene that I had picked up at Walmart. I told them to wait on the porch while I retrieved the kerosene. I came back to the front door and they were gone. Needless to say, the light bulb came on for us and we were no longer so welcoming.

To make a long story short, we moved to a new address. Not long after the move, guess who showed up looking for money? I told them to leave and stop coming to my house. I noticed when they left this time that they did stop at one other house on my street asking for money. After they left there, I walked over and talked to my neighbor who was just visited by these scumbags. My neighbor knows them, he told me about their drug habit and how they would habitually target people that would give them some money.

So, tonight at about 9:30, while my family and I were watching the Panther's game, I hear a knock. My dog starts barking, I grab my Taurus Pt145 which is in a Fobus paddle holster and I look through the peep hole and this guy is on my porch. I happen to notice a white car parked a couple houses down. I think his mother was driving it. I was not going to open the door, but I remembered how they would steal anything not tied down.

When I opened the door, his eyes intermediately went to my strong side where my hand was resting on my .45's grip. I instinctively looked at his hands to see if he was brandishing a weapon. Before I could say anything, he started to run down my porch stairs. I raised my voice and told him to leave and to not come back. Minutes later, my wife goes out on the porch to smoke, guess what? Her new pack of cigarettes were mysteriously gone.

I am so angry and just wanted to vent a little. I welcome any critique or advice on this event...
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Administrator
    When you want the raccoons to stop digging in your garbage, you secure the trash.
    Stop keeping cigarettes on your front porch, and stop being nice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    When you want the raccoons to stop digging in your garbage, you secure the trash.
    I quit smoking about 6 years ago. My wife has not been able /willing to stop, so she goes outside to smoke. I have told her several times the same thing...if you do not want something stolen then do not leave it unsecured.

I am guilty of being to nice to people, I try to be as kind and respectable as possible to anyone I meet. But, as the old the saying goes; "if you give them a inch they will take a mile."
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    +1

You help someone once and they mistake your kindness for weakness. It doesn't pay off to help people sometimes,especially a neighborhood crackhead...they can be the worst.

My advice...

1. Like above poster said..stop keeping stuff you want to keep on the porch.
    2. Unless its friends/family or someone you invited over......don't answer the door.

Sad but times are getting bad.More and more people out there looking to rob or take advantage of someone.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You just earned a good education and it was probably worth the money spent. File it for future reference and move on.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    For those with the gift of mercy, serving or giving, it is often hard to distinguish the difference between genuinely helping someone and its opposite which is enabling irresponsible/harmful behavior. While your motives were good, the actual acts of giving, in this case have actually allowed them to continue sinful habits.

For those of us from a Christian perspective, we see that God has put logical and natural consequences in the world to teach us lessons. A pistol muzzle in the face is the logical outcome that a BG should experience when trying to rob somebody. In this instance, your giving them anything at all that they can sell, steal, etc, is only allowing them to continue their unwise patterns of life..........

I hope this most recent incident will send them a clear message. If not, next time they show up, take a nice picture or video of them and ask them to kindly wait until the local LEO's you have just called show up...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Install a trapdoor to your dungeon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post
    For those with the gift of mercy, serving or giving, it is often hard to distinguish the difference between genuinely helping someone and its opposite which is enabling irresponsible/harmful behavior. While your motives were good, the actual acts of giving, in this case have actually allowed them to continue sinful habits.

For those of us from a Christian perspective, we see that God has put logical and natural consequences in the world to teach us lessons. A pistol muzzle in the face is the logical outcome that a BG should experience when trying to rob somebody. In this instance, your giving them anything at all that they can sell, steal, etc, is only allowing them to continue their unwise patterns of life..........

I hope this most recent incident will send them a clear message. If not, next time they show up, take a nice picture or video of them and ask them to kindly wait until the local LEO's you have just called show up...........
    Minutes after this happened, I started thinking about keeping a camera nearby so I could get a picture of them. I almost hung a shelf near my door to keep a camera, but I began wondering how my worrying with a camera would affect my readiness with my firearm. It is a problem I definitely need to work out.

Thanks for the input !

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Install a trapdoor to your dungeon.
    Or, I could install some razor wire, a couple dog runs, and a moat.

Now that I think about it, sounds like a good weekend long DIY project...

I don't think he will be back after seeing your armed and pissed.

How about them Carolina Panthers
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I don't think he will be back after seeing your armed and pissed.

How about them Carolina Panthers
    Been to a lot of games and I have watched just about every game since the franchise came to Charlotte. Haven't been many reasons to cheer for the Panthers this year. This guy interrupted my family time and a rare good game, I think this pissed me off more than anything.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    just go to your local Cabela's and buy one of those motion activated deer/wildlife camera's and install it on your porch--then it will take the pictures for you while you reserve both hands for something useful--
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post
    just go to your local Cabela's and buy one of those motion activated deer/wildlife camera's and install it on your porch--then it will take the pictures for you while you reserve both hands for something useful--
    I've never thought about that, the have infared flashes so it doesn't scare the game away. That could come in real handy if some one has been messing with things while you are away (Car, Toolshed, etc) without having to buy an all the bells and whistles security system.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Did he come back and steal the smokes after you ran him off or did he pick them up before knocking on the door? They are comfortable with coming onto your property and watch to see when you are home...or gone. He is familiar with your property to some degree which may make you a more likely target than some house in which he is completely unfamiliar. It's like feeding a stray dog...they keep coming back and get more comfortable each time. Take thier picture (car too) and file a complaint with the police department in case something happens down the line.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Stop keeping cigarettes on the porch. Don't stop being nice (a decent human being). Edit, oh, and the IR camera and police report is a very good idea...just in case.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links