Bring rifle on vacation?

Bring rifle on vacation?

This is a discussion on Bring rifle on vacation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously you bring your CC handgun (and probably BUG too) on vacation with you. Assuming that the states you travel to allow it, of course. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bring rifle on vacation?

Bring rifle on vacation?

Obviously you bring your CC handgun (and probably BUG too) on vacation with you. Assuming that the states you travel to allow it, of course.

Should you bring your rifle with you on vacation? I don't normally have my rifle setup for HD, but more of a SHTF kind of thing. I guess you can't choose the time and place for when SHTF, so I'm leaning towards taking my rifle on vacation with me.

If you're worried about really serious collapse, there are probably more important things to bring along than a rifle. Realistically, fire extinguishers probably save more civilian lives than rifles. They just aren't nearly as exciting. In all seriousness, if you're that concerned: bring a reasonably well stocked bugout bag, drive a reliable vehicle to where you're going, and be able to be self-sufficient long enough to get home. (extra cash, fuel, usable spare tire, ability to fix basic car problems, emergency food and water, sleeping bag, etc.)

Ehhh...while I realize that bad stuff can happen at any time, if Im that worried about it and feel the need (outside of the "vacation" being a hunting trip or something) to take a rifle on vacation....well more then likely I'd just stay home.

Vacations are supposed to be a time to relax and if you can't do that then why go.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Going to Detroit are you?

I say, if it feels right do it. If you can sport the rifle and it wont interfere with your ability to enjoy your vacation, what's the problem. Being prepared isnt the same thing as being paranoid and forget the comments from folks that say otherwise. Paranoia will keep you up at night wondering about the unexpected. Preparedness will allow you to sleep soundly and without fear. All you gotta figure out is, how do you sleep at night? JSGOTI

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Every year for the past three years I've rented a cabin in the northwestern lower peninsula of Michigan. The first two years I took along a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum. This year, after researching the subject online, it appeared to me that a non-resident of Michigan cannot take a handgun into Michigan without a CCW permit from a state sharing reciprocity with Michigan.

Because this cabin is very isolated there was no way that I was staying there without some form of protection so I took my Ruger Mini-14 along and, although I didn't need it at any time, it was a comfort having it with me.

Since then, I've obtained my CCW in my resident state of Ohio so next year I'll be travelling to the cabin with a handgun...legally. But I'll probably still carry my Mini-14 along for the ride.

Typically, if I'm going out of state or away from home for more than a day, I'll toss a cased rifle in the back of my SUV...I rarely think about it, and I've never needed it, but its nice to know that if I did, its there.

Frankly, I don't usually even take a "mean" black rifle either, I greatly prefer a Marlin 1894 in .44, more in case I unexpectedly get invited hunting or target shooting where I'm going than anything else.

Plus, if my house is broken into while I'm gone, I know I'll have at least one long gun until I get my insurance to buy new ones.

Have fun and know what the laws are where you are going.

In PA we can NOT transport a loaded rifle or shotgun. Just warning you if you come up to PA and I'm sure other states are the same too.

If making a trip to Alaska from CONUS a long gun (shotgun for me) is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If it makes you comfortable, and you have the space to fit it, do it. Normally I take extra ammo and some support stuff (like spare parts and a tool / cleaning kit) on road trips. I'll take my Glock and keep a spare 50 round MTM box and 3 spare magazines (Glock 19) with me. I keep the whole setup in a small range bag kind of pistol case. The SHTF thing might be a good reason to use a carbine in a compatable caliber. Like a Glock and a Kel Tec 200 or a Marlin Camp Carbine with a 1911 or S&W. Marlin Lever action with a revolver in the same caliber makes as much snse today as it did in the 1800s.

I just toss a sks,bandolier of ammo and my bug out bag in the trunk because in this day and age you never know what or where something is going to happen.Then I go ahead and enjoy my vacation,but I know its there if I ever need it. sj

I usually do carry a rifle. Not because of SHTF but because ya never know when a range trip will present itself. Most places I go the possibility of a fun shoot day is a good possibility.

On my most recent vacation, in November, I took the AR and left the shotgun at home.

I like to take a longarm with me, but you do have to take into consideration how you are going to secure the firearm.

Biker

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar

Unless you are going on a hunting vacation, leave the rifle at home. You won't enjoy your vacation because you will be worried about the rifle left in your vehicle or hotel room. If you feel you need a rifle, you shouldn't be going there.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Since 911 and Katrina I prepared a WSHTF kit that is good for 3 months of time to support my family. A RRA .223 is part of a portion of that kit whenever I am traveling along with my old trusty 870 and plenty of ammo properly stored. I'd recommend you carry your rifle legally with plenty of ammo and a traveling survival kit

When I was on active duty in the US Coast Guard and traveling across this country from Florida to Alaska with my wife and 2 daughters 6 times I always had my shotgun with me as you cannot transport a handgun through Canada to get on the ALCAN. We always camped along the way so already had a good survival kit with us.

Call me paranoid but I call it being prepared. A review of Katrina is proof positive the government cannot provide for you and yours. You never know when the next national emergency is going to hit. The extremists are plotting at this very minute to wreck havoc among us. A few tactical or dirty nukes going off in a few strategic cities will be enough to shut us down for a period of time.

Here is an excellent site for preparedness. It is not a Survivalist site and Mr. Ritter is a premeire authority on survival. I personally worked with him on a few occasions and the man knows his business.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Doug Ritter offers unique survival equipment, survival education and consulting

JMO
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; December 21st, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links