The role of a K9 in home/personal defense

This is a discussion on The role of a K9 in home/personal defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read on here a lot about the use of a dog in a home defense situation. I was curious to what extent do you ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The role of a K9 in home/personal defense

The role of a K9 in home/personal defense

I read on here a lot about the use of a dog in a home defense situation. I was curious to what extent do you expect a dog to come into play in a defense scenario? Will the dog be used to make noise and alert you of an intruder? Is it used as a deterrent? Do you expect a dog to be your inital line of defense, attacking an intruder while you prepare to do your part? I am just wondering how heavily you rely on a dog in your own personal home defense strategy.

As far as on my end, I have one inside dog (pug) and 2 outside dogs (one mutt and one mountain cur). The pug is hit or miss as far as alerting to danger. If she isn't sleeping she will alert you of any out of place noise in the home to the point of aggrevation. The 2 outside dogs are very alert to out of place noises, but only bark when ther are suspicious noises very close to our home. I only have one that I would rely on for anything past alerting me of danger. My mountain cur is very protective of my wife, and, to an extent, of me. If anything were to happen in or around my home or property I know he would do his best to subdue any attacker, which would at least cause enough of a distraction to give me or my wife time to get into a defensive position. I don't rely on the dogs in my defense strategy, but they could play a good part in it if available.

2. Remove Ads

Here's what I posted in an earlier thread......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWDeanSr
    Believe it or not, had the dog out on the porch with me one time when this crack head showed up. My doberman barked and growled.. and this dude walk right by him.

I have read in a lot of post about how having a dog is a good idea for home defense....yet I am convinced that a common house dog is only a small deterrent and not a real solution for home defense. end-quote

goldshellback:
    I've never considered any dog a 'defense' in and of it's self......but any dog is certinally a great part of a 'layered' defense. Your 'pooch' may be nothing more than a 'noise-maker', but that's a really good thing! Either way, I'll wager he's a GREAT dog!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWDeanSr
    Mojo has not been abused, he is part of my family. We almost view him as our second child. I guess socialized dogs make poor guard dogs.

goldshellback:
    Your body language may or may not have played a part in his behavior, but he let ya know the addict was there......Good Dog!

Just keep a CLOSE eye on your stuff, addicts will never stop until they're stopped or they hit "rock-bottom". Stay Safe!

I've felt dogs are more of an 'alerter' than anything else, but certinally they are a deterrent 'if' inside. Any size/breed that can give you a heads up that something ain't right in the dog's universe is a GREAT dog! Most dogs ARE an initial line of defense and will jump into anyone that shouldn't be in his 'packs den' ,again, regardless of breed/size.........I said most. I have four dogs and although great noise makers, one of mine would just want to be petted by anybody, criminal or otherwise.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Dogs are very useful. Most would-be thieves simply go to the next house when they start hearing dogs (especially the big ones). Simply locking up your place, and having a dog is enough to keep most thieves at bay. Most thieves are opportunistic in nature...

As far as self defense goes. If an attacker is determined, no I don't think a dog would be a viable means of sole self defense. I do think it has the potential to be of use in slowing down the attacker; more importantly, it will alert you of the attackers presence.

Simply put, I don't rely on dogs; they are simply another tool for a given situation (in self defense regards)
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Even against a well trained attack dog, any determined/armed BG could easily deal with them if they know how. As far as my dog goes (Lab/Pit mix) she is mainly an early warning alarm and a deterant to the burglar who might not have picked a house yet. I would expect her to buy me some time or distract a BG, but not more than a few seconds. And as we have no kids, the dog is our baby, and I would be planning on avenging my dog if a BG broke in and killed the dog.

If they kill the dog, it is clear they are dangerous and agressive, and in the house, just adds to your justification in lethal force.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Yep. Just an additional layer to your home defense network.

Little dogs are generally more alert and yappy.
    Bigger dogs scare the buggers out of BG's and buy you some time.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I had a saint bernard for 4 years (unfortunately, he passed away in the kennel while we were on vacation, but that is another story).. When we had him, we lived in a not so nice part of town.. The subdivision was pretty old (age of residents) and a lot of BGs saw it as an easy target.. I know that he saved our house several times.. There is just something about see'ing a 200lb dog around the house that make people look somewhere else.. In our case, he was a major deterrent, just based on his size.. If anyone knew saints, they would know that they were the ones to hit.. A saint would much rather help out an attacker and show them where everything is then to attack.. but that is just their nature.. He never barked, but when he did, I even got scared.. So, it would really depend on the dog, but generally, they can be very helpful.. Especially if you are a heavy sleeper and need something a little "extra" to wake you up..

Thanks guys. As I said, I don't rely on them so much, but feel that they can be useful. It is interesting to see everyone's opinion on the subject. All of the opinions are basically the same from what I have seen on this site and elsewhere, a dog is a good early warning system/deterrent, but isn't expected to be usefully utilized for much other than that.

We have two dogs, one little and one Lab. They both do a good job of alerting to unusual noises, and it seems their sense of smell, at least the little ones is pretty good. When ever there is a racoon or possum hanging out in the area we know because the dogs want to be outside.

I think they would serve well as an early warning system and the lab would probably buy me a few extra seconds to get into defensive position

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    My Great Dane is a giant. A Giant wuss. He gets all loud and brave when he hears someone outside, or someone new comes into the house, so he's great on ALERT. However once he meets you, he tends to come running to Mama, hide behind my legs, and wait until I tell him "It's ok, go say hi."

So I love the fact that he can usually alert me to something being amiss before I would figure it out myself, especially when I'm sleeping (code white and then some!). But as far as I'm concerned, he just buys me a few precious seconds to come to my senses and reach for a firearm. He is SO not going to take on a bad guy.

He is completely used to gunfire though, so if S ever HTF, at least it wouldn't be soooo traumatic for him.

Not sure about the new little pup, Trigger. Other than having a cool name, she's completely useless at the moment! lol
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I should add...

Because the Dane is so big and so loud when strangers come to the door, I like the fact that anyone "casing" my home might think twice. I've also happily spread the rumor for YEARS that my big, vicious-sounding dogs are quarrantined in the home because the judge ordered they not be in public anymore after they tore that home invader's scrotum.

Most people (strangers, solicitors, pizza delivery guys, etc) think twice before stepping inside now. And I'm perfectly happy with that. Sometimes literally the bark IS worse than the bite, you know?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    dog = perimeter alarm

if the dog is an active home defender that could be used against you should the low life sue.

Plus if its main job is to be a family dog you shouldn't rely on the poor thing to protect the whole house. If a home invader attempts a break in he will hear *bark* *bark* *bark* *bark* CLICK! CLICK! *bark* *bark* "I AM ARMED AND I WILL PROTECT MYSELF!!" *bark**bark*

if he gets in and doesn't back down it will be *bark**bark* BANG! CLICK! CLICK! BANG! CLICK! CLICK! BANG! CLICK! CLICK! BANG! CLICK! CLICK! BANG! *clunk* *swish* *beep beep beep garble garble* (me unholstering my .45 and calling 911)
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

my vicious killer Doberman..

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I'll try to make this short..........was on vacation with my wife and left our male German Shepard "Rebel" with my in-laws. We get a call at the hotel to call home. Seems an insurance adjuster who came by to look at my brother-in-laws truck which hit a deer came into their house....they forgot Rebel was loose in their basement. Rebel advanced on the adjuster grabbing his arm as the man tried to fend himself off the dog. He hit my B.I.L in the head with his spiral rate book and opened a large wound. By this time both were bleeding and they finally get the dog under control. Both are treated at the hospital and we figured we're gonna be sued....after two weeks I get a letter from the clerks office from the town they live in stating this was a PROVOKED attack......as the adjuster admitted seeing an old "Beware Of The Dog" sign that was on the door for years and elected to enter the house anyway.....................Geeezzzz were we lucky.

Rebel lived up to his name........a great protector and all business.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I should add...

Because the Dane is so big and so loud when strangers come to the door, I like the fact that anyone "casing" my home might think twice...

...Most people (strangers, solicitors, pizza delivery guys, etc) think twice before stepping inside now. And I'm perfectly happy with that. Sometimes literally the bark IS worse than the bite, you know?
    My Grandmother had a Weimaraner for this same purpose. She loved the great respect strangers afforded her and her dog.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Our dog is a small Poodle. He weighs about 20#. He's not going to attack any invader but nothing gets in the house without him making noise. He's an excellent alert system and as such plays a role in my program of home security.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links