Daughter asked the other day

This is a discussion on Daughter asked the other day within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, doing a bit of Christmas shopping, my daughter is driving. We are heading to the next town south of ours to go to Best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter asked the other day

OK, doing a bit of Christmas shopping, my daughter is driving. We are heading to the next town south of ours to go to Best Buy.
    This town has been going into major decline the past twenty years. They have lots of drive by shootings. Just had a shooting a few weeks ago where the shooter said it was to show the victum "who was running the hood".
    Most of this takes place in the inner city. The Best Buy is out in the township, better but still not somewhere I want to be if I'm not armed.
    So as we are headed there my daughter (she's 29) ask "Do you have your gun?"
    I tell her yes. Then I ask her why, and she says she gets a little nervous going to this town. She actually works in this town also, on the opposite side of the inner city. Luckily she gets off the expressway and her plant is right off the overpass so she doesn't have to drive street level.
    I tell her I carry alot more than she probably knows, and even mentioned a few times we went places where I was carrying that she didn't know about.
    I told her she should get a gun, but I doubt she will. She is kind of anti gun due to her cousin committing suicide when she was a teenager. He used a shotgun in the mouth, not real pleasent for any of our family. Her mother (exwife) is now very anti.
    The daughter has started going with me to when I shoot sometimes. She watches me, and has started shooting my mother BB rifile.

I figure I'll just let her go along and see if she develops a desire to try my gun. I am not going to put a lot of pressure on her though.

The biggest hurdle to get any family member who is dubious about guns over is getting them to try it once. Then they realize it isnt a radiation spewing, double edged, bio-contaminated weapon of mass destruction. With proper guidance they will see that they can take a measure of control and that the gun is just a tool that can be used to make their lives and others much safer.

Use whatever it takes to cajole, bribe, beg, convince her to let you take her to the range and try it once. Then everything else becomes just a matter of time
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

I assume your talking about SAGNASTY I have alot of family there and always go packed. My 8 year old asked me the other day if I had my gun on me, and why...Kids are to smart nowadays..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Right idea

It sounds like you have already won the major part of the battle. If she is open minded enough to go with you shooting and even handle a BB gun, then I would say it is most likely just a matter of time before she wants to shoot yours. I think you would be smart to do as you say and not pressure her, but don't be afraid to offer every once in a while and leave an open invitation so she doesn't feel like she would be inconveniencing you by asking when she is ready.

Good luck. I know that getting my family members into shooting was one of the best times. It really is a great family activity.
    Walk softly ...

Have you played the what if game?

It is a shame I don't rember these problems that we have in Saginaw when I was little.I now have my ccw and and a glock 23. I treat them like an american express I never leave home without them.You just never know.It wasn't too long ago last summer they were robbing Bob Evans on Tittabassee locking everyone in the cooler and shooting up the Fashion Square Cinemas at the same time.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I assume your talking about SAGNASTY I have alot of family there and always go packed. My 8 year old asked me the other day if I had my gun on me, and why...Kids are to smart nowadays..
    That was my thought at first too! Flint, Sagnasty and Detroit are not towns I'd want to be driving around without being armed. I went to college in Ann Arbor and my parents lived in Eastpointe. Once I decided to take Gratiot all the way to their house...never again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Have you played the what if game?
    I do this with my mom and girlfriend, my mom is such a it is unbelievable, my girlfriend will come around it is breaking her out of the shell.. I got her to shoot once and last time we went to the range she said to me "you know i actually like shooting" +1 for me... neither are anti's

but try to make a deal with her... "Daughter if you come with me one time and don't like it i won't bug you to come with me again. But if you do like it i will take you whenever you want." (< that will set the stage and possibly before you know it she will ask you to help he pick out a gun)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    That was my thought at first too! Flint, Sagnasty and Detroit are not towns I'd want to be driving around without being armed. I went to college in Ann Arbor and my parents lived in Eastpointe. Once I decided to take Gratiot all the way to their house...never again.
    I understand that...My EXs mother lived right off six mile and Gratiot it was scary to say the least. Back then michigan wasnt a shall issue state. It was a knife or nothing

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post

Yep the farther down I-75 you go the worse it gets!
    We just sold my father-inlaws house to a couple that moved from Saginaw, and the owners were saying how nice it is now to sleep the whole night without being woke up by gun shots every night!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Yep the farther down I-75 you go the worse it gets!
    We just sold my father-inlaws house to a couple that moved from Saginaw, and the owners were saying how nice it is now to sleep the whole night without being woke up by gun shots every night!
    Im glad your daughter is coming around. I believe in starting them young, mine is 8 and she loves the 9mm. Its hard when i take her to the range to get in any shooting for myself. I believe that it is our responsibility to pass on the type of values that most of us have here. Have a wonderful christmas, and be armed and safe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    The biggest hurdle to get any family member who is dubious about guns over is getting them to try it once. Then they realize it isnt a radiation spewing, double edged, bio-contaminated weapon of mass destruction. With proper guidance they will see that they can take a measure of control and that the gun is just a tool that can be used to make their lives and others much safer.

Use whatever it takes to cajole, bribe, beg, convince her to let you take her to the range and try it once. Then everything else becomes just a matter of time

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by seanhodges View Post
    It is a shame I don't rember these problems that we have in Saginaw when I was little.I now have my ccw and and a glock 23. I treat them like an american express I never leave home without them.You just never know.It wasn't too long ago last summer they were robbing Bob Evans on Tittabassee locking everyone in the cooler and shooting up the Fashion Square Cinemas at the same time.

welcome to DC, seanhodges, crime is relative no matter where you are, Just to what degree, and good/bad timing in avoiding confrontation,

Are you related to the Hodges of team Hodges of West Branch, ? My parents live up there, and we've been around the area for 35 years

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man: brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
    Mark Twain
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    She is kind of anti gun due to her cousin committing suicide when she was a teenager. He used a shotgun in the mouth, not real pleasent for any of our family.
    Suicide is awful...very sad. However, it's sad that someone would become anti-gun because it was the method of choice by a loved one. The presence of a firearm has zero influence on the rate of suicide (gunfacts.info). I've never heard of anyone even considering becoming anti-car (CO poisoning), anti-rope, anti-razor blade, anti-shoestring, anti-bridge, or anti anything else because it was used to commit suicide.

I worked in that area for years...I understand that saying it's going downhill doesn't describe the real problem.
    Keep talking to your daughter about SD, she'll come around.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Heck, 40 years ago some friends I met from junior tennis lived right off Carroll Park in Bay City. The houses were older, big, and impressive, but the park was overrun at night with greasers, punks, and all manner of "free spirits". The family wouldn't let any of the kids in the park alone.

As for the topic, just get her to try shooting some time. There are some CPL courses taught by women, some are for women only. Most of the initial CPL students after shall issue passed were men with considerable pistol experience. Lately, instructors are reporting half of the students are women, many with no prior handgun experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links