.22 versus .45

This is a discussion on .22 versus .45 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LethalStang Is that a similer round to a 9x18 Makarov ?? 9mm is 9X19 9X18 is Makarov .380 is 9x17 They are ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 versus .45

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    Is that a similer round to a 9x18 Makarov ??
    9mm is 9X19
    9X18 is Makarov
    .380 is 9x17

They are all different.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I was about half asleep when I posted that, just curious as to what the general consensus on that particular matter was. Seems a bit silly now to have asked it, but I can't take it back.

Thanks again.
    That's what we're here for. Though sometimes we feel like some questions are silly we have to remember that somehow, somewhere we needed to learn things like this.

Self defense, situational awareness, calibers, terminal ballistics, etc, are all acquired with time and learning. We're glad to guide people in that process here.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    As stated elsewhere training and practice can make up for caliber in many cases, but a good shot with a .45 will undoubtedly do more damage (read: potential threat stoppage) than that same shot with a .22

At that point the question may come down to: which looks better in court, a potential multiple shooting with a .22 or perhaps only a single time with a .45

Also keep in mind that you may not get the opportunity to switch guns if the first one you choose doesn't get the job done.

IMO, start strong and use the .22 as a bug.
    ^^^^yup right here
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    As stated elsewhere training and practice can make up for caliber in many cases, but a good shot with a .45 will undoubtedly do more damage (read: potential threat stoppage) than that same shot with a .22

At that point the question may come down to: which looks better in court, a potential multiple shooting with a .22 or perhaps only a single time with a .45

Also keep in mind that you may not get the opportunity to switch guns if the first one you choose doesn't get the job done.

IMO, start strong and use the .22 as a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Every .22lr I have owned has had some sort of malfunction issues that would preclude me from designating it for emergency use. The failures that seem to happen are light primer strikes (where the firing pin dents the rim, but no ignition) and failures to eject. Yours might be ultra-reliable (but I doubt it).

I just don't think rimfire is dependable enough for life and death...

Get a good flashlight and be sure to positively identify a BG before shooting at them. Drunk roommates and friends are annoying, but generally not worth shooting. ;)

Mapping out access points to your apartment (doors, windows...) and where you will "defend" from can give you an idea where stray rounds might go. A little planning and a strategically placed bookcase or two provide some protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For home defense I'd use the 12 Guage if possible.

Since that wasn't mentioned as an option by you, I would opt for the .45 ACP over the .22 LR caliber handgun. I'm less worried about hearing damage and more concerned with being able to stop a threat before the threat can harm me or a loved one.

Biker

^^^^^^these posts have put it about the best ^^^^

"The registration of all guns is ALWAYS a preparation for their confiscation."
    Patrick and John Henry
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have the Ruger P345. Since the law allows me to use a firearm for defense, I'm gonna use something that will get the job done the first time. I carry the 185gr +P Cor Bon DPX's made with the Barnes all copper X Bullet. BUG's are cool but I personally don't see the need for a smaller gun when the bigger does more damage. But if the .22 is the only thing I have then its better than nothing. Plus the one shot stop percentage is a lot higher in a .45 than a .22 (concidering you can hit your target where it counts). Thats what I look at.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Just advise your roommates to hit the deck if they hear gunfire. This will minimize their chances of becoming casualties.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Ok, here is the engineer coming out of me.
    A .22 LR 40 grain bullet typically has around 105 foot-pounds of energy at muzzle.
    A .45 ACP 185 grain bullet typically has around 440 foot-pounds of energy at muzzle.

Think about driving a nail into wood - drive a 1/4 inch nail with 105 foot-pound hit or drive a 1/2 inch spike with 440 pound blow. If I was the BG, I would prefer the .22...

both guns will work it is up to you on which gun you feel good about using.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

.357 on the night stand. Nuff said.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

OP : I have one question, simple one. If your life is truly in danger and threat of imminent death (that you want to stop), do you really think you will get a 2nd chance ? Best to use what you plan to use, right off the top.... because there are usually NO 2nd chances.

A couple of thoughts, since you've taken the time to think this through and post a thought-provoking post. I agree with others who prefer the larger caliber. A 22 is better than no gun, but a 45 is better than a 22.

You mention less disturbance to your hearing and sight. That's partly true, but it's also true to the person on the wrong end of your pistol, since flash and sound is worse in front than behind.

As is well put above, if you are justified in the use of force, there should be no issue with a 45. If you choose the 22 instead, then there is a larger chance that at the trial of your assailant, you may get a small "niceness point" for being somewhat compassionate, but it probably won't help your widow very much.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Pump action shotgun - 12 or 20 - short barrel.

The pump action shotgun makes a sound that is universally understood. If the BG keeps coming after hearing you rack a round then I would suspect he's definitely up to no good. Plus you have a good variety of rounds to use.

10 sheets of plywood. Most folks are a little softer. Consider where your .22s are going after they hit a little soft flesh. Doesn't stop the BG and potential for damage.

Without question the .45 would be the better option here.

While you are correct that the .22 will do the trick, if shot placement is perfect and at the vitals, but the .45 will definitely serve you better as a defense weapon.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links